Slotted/Dimpled Rotors - Clicking Noise

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I've read and all of the pictures I've looked at showed this is the way they should go. However, on these rotors in particular, direction doesn't matter as much since they are straight vanes. That's when the main concern on direction comes into play.

http://zeckhausen.com/how_to_properly_install_rotors.htm

how_to1.jpg

how_to2.jpg
Thats the first time I've seen that info, the vents in mine are
straight but the rotors from PowerSlot were stamp with a L and R
and I remember the instructions said install drivers side L.
Been running this way for +30k miles with no problems.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Hell, I say just swap them and see if it helps! Maybe easy fix, or maybe worse and you swap back. That's what I would do.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats the first time I've seen that info, the vents in mine are
straight but the rotors from PowerSlot were stamp with a L and R
and I remember the instructions said install drivers side L.
Been running this way for +30k miles with no problems.

Might be the way PowerSlot make their slots on rotor? Don't know.

Hell, I say just swap them and see if it helps! Maybe easy fix, or maybe worse and you swap back. That's what I would do.

If I pull anything off I will just put the OEM rotors I have that are newish back on the front and just order some OEM rear rotors from RockAuto. I'm not messing with flipping them because I know the noise will still be there. They are on the right way. It's something to do with the rotor itself.

Last edited:

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
If it means anything, I have had slotted and DRILLED (not dimpled) rotors on almost all of our vehicles and have never had a clicking noise, which the exception of one rotor that began to crack.

I'm not sure if it is rotor specific, but I always installed the rotors with the slots facing forward. If you think about a directional tire, the same direction applies. But, I recently bought Baer Eradi Speed Plus 2 Rotors for my GT500 brakes, and they were labeled L & R, with the slots facing BACKWARDS. If anything, I would trust Baer so that is how I'm going to install them from now on, but I never had a problem in the past anyways.

Edit: Just read the Zeck Hausen link, good read. That explains everything and finally will take the guess work out of which install direction is correct, regardless if cosmetically it looks correct to have the slots directional toward the front.

Last edited:

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't believe these are cracking. They're practically brand new and I don't road race or auto-x the car. I think drilled rotors would let the air escape through the back while dimpled has air pockets when the pads are going over them creating the clicking sound. Maybe there is an imperfection with the dimples?

Yeah, when I found that link it helped settle what the correct way on rotor direction was. It all comes down to the direction of the internal vanes.

Mike at TPS Motorsports just e-mailed. Hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
^^^^^ let me (us) know what he says. I sure hope I dont have to purchase more rotors.....

"Can you see me, am I clear to you, picture me rollin"

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Are your pads chamfered? Do the edges look like the one below?

green_pad.jpg

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
I had the same exact issues.. check the TPS Brembo brake upgrade thread. After months of back and forth, making me remove / replace the rotors 5-6 different times.. TPS ended up sending me plain slotted rotors and it solved the issue.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, they are chamfered, Hawk Ceramic. Not sure what OP has.

Also, eliminated the directional issue by spinning wheel backwards...still clicks just like when going forward.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are your pads chamfered? Do the edges look like the one below?

They are new Hawk HPS pads.

I had the same exact issues.. check the TPS Brembo brake upgrade thread. After months of back and forth, making me remove / replace the rotors 5-6 different times.. TPS ended up sending me plain slotted rotors and it solved the issue.

I'll take a look. I'm afraid that's going to be the case here.

Found your thread.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77797&highlight=rotor&page=4

Yes, they are chamfered, Hawk Ceramic. Not sure what OP has.

Also, eliminated the directional issue by spinning wheel backwards...still clicks just like when going forward.

Figured it wouldn't change anything rotating the opposite way.

Last edited:

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About had it with this damn company. Their lack of customer service is downright infuriating.

Even ordering these garbage rotors in the first place was a problem. Placing an order and basically not replying to e-mails, PM's, and not answering the phone after several calls, I'll never do business with this company again. After finally getting a hold of Mike by finding his direct email on a Corvette forum after no response in over 3 weeks he tried to place the blame on his supplier for shutting the company down for 30 days. Well okay, but that doesn't explain the lack of communication on his company's behalf.

Then he somehow found a set and mailed them to me.

And now, I sent him an e-mail Sunday about the clicking issue to which he responded, "Let me look into this and see what we find out and can do for you." I sent another e-mail yesterday with my Order # so he had something to reference and then sent one more today asking for an update.

I'm about to the point where I'm going to buy OEM rotors from RockAuto and throw these pieces of shit in the trash where they belong.

Last edited:

BIGCHRISS197

Honda Hunter
Reaction score
This seems to be a common issue with the slotted/dimpled rotors, mine have done it since day one I just tend to zone it out when driving with the windows down

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a common issue with the slotted/dimpled rotors, mine have done it since day one I just tend to zone it out when driving with the windows down

I'm thinking it shouldn't be that common according to Mike.

Your order is shipping today... it's odd that he is having these issues which is why I am having him call me to figure out what is causing the issues. We have over 100 customers with Slotted/ Dimpled rotors driving around and no one is having the noise issues that we are aware of. We sold quite a few of our Brembo BBK setups also and no one has notified us of any noise issues.

BTW, your calipers showed up today so they are all set to go :beer:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
mine have done it since I got them last year (I have put thousands of miles on them), I don't think they ever found a fix for it. I also have the slotted/dimpled rotors. your best bet is to get just slotted.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
how much you want for them if you put originals back on

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the same BS. ...according to Mike he's sold thousands of the slotted / dimpled rotors and mine were the only ones he ever had an issue with... (-.-)

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
I sent him a PM Monday night, but havent gotten a response back. I am hoping to exchange for slotted.....

My suggestion for him would be to not sell these or put an obvious disclaimer on them. There is just not an advantage to the dimpled other than cosmetic and the cons overpower the aesthetics.

Destination S197

forum member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem since day one. It does get a little annoying since I like to drive with the windows down most of the time. What are you gonna do? I can't afford to just replace them again.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Y'all must have. Some very sensitive hearing. I could never hear the clicking noise unless I was next to a building, divider or in a tunnel...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back