Slotted rotor question

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
If your racing a 580-600 lb bike you lost before you ever started. My R1 weighs 370lb full of fuel. Also we used different material. Some were Stainless Steel while others were Ductile Iron. Yea everything we could make lightweight we did but for every 20 lap race your looking at at LEAST an hour maintance.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Well unless you are racing by remote control you are going to have more weight to stop than the bike.

Standard R1 is claimed wet weight at 454lbs. A 150lbs rider with about 10-15lbs of clothes + gear will get you there. Even a 370lbs bike is gonna be over 500lbs with all but an anorexic high school girl.

Last edited:

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone knows about modern brake pads no longer de-gassing and the added stress risers from the holes, so drilled rotors are now out of fashion. Slotted rotors can serve one small function in racing: to scrape away a tiny amount of pad material, to keep the pad surface "fresh". If your pads are prone to glazing this might be advantageous, and many 2-piece racing rotors are slotted.

http://youtu.be/_L_ev1iuGzg

That video has a lot of marketing fluff, and honestly... I think drilled and slotted rotors is still mostly about image. There is no cost effective 2-piece 14" Mustang rotor (they cost 5-10 times what a 1-piece rotor does) and the slotting/drilling is mostly unnecessary, in my humble opinion. So on our Mustangs with 14" front rotors we use Centric premium rotors.

_DSF2261-M.jpg

Best bang for the buck. They have a coated center so they don't rust the first time it rains and they last a good long time.

DSC_0639-M.jpg

But if you like bling, go for it. We just put slotted and drilled rotors (and upsized both the front and rears) on our shop truck. Because I'm secretly a pimp. :hi:

_DSC0828-M.jpg

At least the rotor manufacturers are now using a generous chamfer on the holes and ball nose endmills for the slots. So it isn't as rotor cracking as it could be...

Been thinking of what rotors to get since I got cheap China stuff from work. Was on a tight budget since I got them for 20 bucks each after some price changing.

How long is that 99 price going to last?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back