slow or fast lope?

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
When it comes to cams which sounds better slow or fast lope? My neighbor has a 72 chevelle and his car sounds amazing with the big cam he has, but his car lopes so slow and sounds like it's about to cut off. Trying to get more of that sound from the hotrod cams. Advice please:idea:

Slow

Faster

Last edited:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Not that my opinion matters but to me the ohc motors sound better with a faster lope.

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
Your small cube OHC V8 will never sound like a large cube flat tappet pushrod V8. Personally with the videos you posted I prefer the faster idle. Chambered mufflers like MAC and flowmaster seem to help accentuate the sound of cam lope.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I tried 650, sounded nice but wasn't up to the sound level I would appreciate at a stop light. I tried 740... close... I tried 840 and that was the sweet spot for me, just had a certain note in it that no other RPM range has.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
Fast. Some people with smaller cams turn they're idle down to make the cam lope more and sound bigger. But in reality a giant cammed car needs a higher idle to stay running. I see this a lot with Harleys. But what people don't realize with the is the oil pressure is really low at those lower rpms.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Fast. Some people with smaller cams turn they're idle down to make the cam lope more and sound bigger. But in reality a giant cammed car needs a higher idle to stay running. I see this a lot with Harleys. But what people don't realize with the is the oil pressure is really low at those lower rpms.

I'd keep Hot Rods at 850rpm minimum. They still sound just great.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
SLOW!!!!! That first video is siiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!!!!!!!!
I had mine at 650 and it was an automatic.

Car sounds phenomenal in the first video!!!!!

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but even with it at a slower idle it still sounds nothing like his big block lol. BTW I didn't know lowering the idle would effect my oil pressure. I notice all new cars have a faster lope compared to old school cars with cams. Never knew the reason. My cousin has a C6 cammed vette and the idle is way too fast IMO, but like I said all the newer cars I've seen has a faster lope.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
More complicated oiling system needs to keep everything everywhere juicy.
This is also the reason for "high idle" when you first start your car it needs to sling oil everywhere as fast as it can, starting an engine from cold is like the worst time of it's life. Just my opinion.

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
More complicated oiling system needs to keep everything everywhere juicy.
This is also the reason for "high idle" when you first start your car it needs to sling oil everywhere as fast as it can, starting an engine from cold is like the worst time of it's life. Just my opinion.

Thanks, yeah I notice when I do a cold start it idles really high. Do you have videos of yours I would love to hear how it sounds at idle.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I personally like a little slower.. this was "back in the day" as they say..

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back