so, how loud is it with Heim joints?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My LCA's bushings are gone. (BMR's) I am wondering about my patience with the adjustable lowers with heim joints. What should I expect? Chime in if you know... I think I'm buying them next round.

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
I don't know about your patience, but mine lasted 2 weeks, as soon I got on the road I knew they had to come out (BMR's poly/spherical adjustable)
The only way they would work is if you were to install them with line reamed nominal bolt diameter relocation bracket holes...and have the spherical bushings (alu) replaced with custom made ones reamed to nominal diameter bolt size...
Otherwise be prepared to live with a constant tock-tock that will elongate your bracket holes...
I just installed the greasable Spohn poly/poly adjustable LCA's in the hole below the one I was using because of elongation...
Cheers

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've been running the BMR poly/spherical adj LCAs (#TCA021) for well over a year, and I have no problem with them. Yes, they do clunk a little, but I really only hear it at low speeds on bumpy roads. Cruising down the highway, or on smooth roads, is not an issue. And I just had mine out a few weeks ago, and I noticed absolutely no wear and tear on the bracket holes. Everything was just fine under there.

I'm not trying to say rog06gt is wrong... just saying my personal experience has been different.

2MFF

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my BMR adj poly/spherical with BMR adj spherical/spherical because I went through 2 sets of bushings in 2 years. I do not find that they are that noisy. At low speeds you do hear some clunks, but usually low speed driving means I have the air and tunes going so I really don't hear it. At high speed driving they are silent. During aggressive driving they make a little noise, but they are supposed to ;)

J

JonW

2 sets of bushings in 2 years? That's not acceptable. Why are the BMR bushings wearing out so fast?

2MFF

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2 sets of bushings in 2 years? That's not acceptable. Why are the BMR bushings wearing out so fast?

The bushings are not wearing out, they are failing. They split along the axis of the bolt/sleeve which allows the LCA to move fore/aft. Not good.

I did notice on the spherical/spherical setup the adapters are offset on the axle side causing the LCA to be mounted almost aligned with the body mount, where as the spherical/poly setup does not have this side to side articulation. Perhaps that puts some extra load on the poly end under heavy cornering (where I believe they fail)

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thank you..

I wanted to thank you guys for your feedback. I went ahead and bought the 1/2 heim 1/2 poly adjustables for the rear. I will add my opinion in this thread some day after the install.
I had a 4 link with full heims on my '69 Fstbk 466 CID Pro Street and it could not be worse than it and I didnt mind that noise...(I really really miss it as a matter of fact.... !)

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the do clunk a bit...but not unbearable for me.

Every manufacturer has had problems with the LCA bushings failing.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the do clunk a bit...but not unbearable for me.

Every manufacturer has had problems with the LCA bushings failing.

I don't blame the manufacturer. I have Steeda Billet's on the wifes and BMR on mine. I hit mine pretty hard a lot.... I will say though that I used energy supsension,s lube and coated them by hand. I did not blow them out with a grease gun. They have a life span just like everything else.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As long as they're broken down and hand lubed they will hold up just fine.

I took Steeda Billet LCA's apart for inspection after 12,000 miles and over 200 S/C'd runs with no trouble.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
some of you are being naughty....

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I've heard of Steeda, BMR, CHE, Granatelli, UPR and I think that's about it. I really haven't paid attention to any others.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw a blue nosed gopher.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back