Some mobile home questions

sajesak

Reaction score
Helo all.

Are mobile homes still regarded as, well, lower class? Because some sites I looked on have huge mobile homes for <100k, which could be desirable for someone young like me in the future. It's like a house, without the huge expenses. But be honest with me -
will they last? Delaware is not exceptionally windy or anything, so I would think it would be okay if it was anchored well enough.

Would I look trashy living in one, or is it better these days? Can I buy land and have mine by itself or does it have to go in apark?
Is it better to buy my own land? I never realized how good the mobile homes seem to be - good value, nice and snug, so not too

much cleaning and annoying maintenance, yet just like a regular home!

sajesak

Reaction score
Helo all.

Are mobile homes still regarded as, well, lower class? Because some sites I looked on have huge mobile homes for <100k, which could be desirable for someone young like me in the future. It's like a house, without the huge expenses. But be honest with me -
will they last? Delaware is not exceptionally windy or anything, so I would think it would be okay if it was anchored well enough.

Would I look trashy living in one, or is it better these days? Can I buy land and have mine by itself or does it have to go in apark?
Is it better to buy my own land nc modular homes with prices? I never realized how good the mobile homes seem to be - good value, nice and snug, so not too

much cleaning and annoying maintenance, yet just like a regular home!
thanks in advance for any help

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
biggest downside to a mobile home is the lack of insulation and the crawlspace underneath.

The AC/heat ducting run under the house, so if critters get under there, they can mess it up. Then your crawling underneath to replace, or paying someone to do it. Our Bernese Mountain Dog loved the AC vents on the floor though, he slept on them, lol.

It uses a lot of energy to keep ours cool in the summer time living in Florida. You would have the same problem, but in reverse. The winters might take a lot of power to keep warm. But, a newer one would be sealed better and more energy efficient. Our mobile home is a '96 model, but we it was a good deal on a lot of land. That would be my only complaint is the energy cost.

You can also look into manufactured housing. It sits on a pad, ducting is in the ceiling, it looks like a "normal" house for the most part.

JJDAG

forum member
Reaction score
Before buying land you have to check with the town / county zoning laws as most have rules on where mobile homes can be parked. Just because you own the land doesn’t mean the town will allow you to do anything you want on it. Durability I think they are fine but not as sturdy as a house my family had one years ago as a vacation home it lasted with minimal maintenance for 20or so years. Critters did get in easily and it was hard to keep warm in the winter we have since tore it down and built a house in its place. Sometimes buying a small house that is established is much easier and cost effective especially when it comes to purchasing interest rates, cost of homeowners insurance, resale and equity. With the current cost of renting your much better off buying a home than renting. Have no illusions about maintenance free there is no such thing in any type of home you buy. I had my current home built 5 years ago I have the never ending project list since moving in.
Either way your making a good move spending to own than renting. Do your homework on all your choices. Good luck !!!

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Mobile homes are treated like cars and go down in value (depreciate). If at all possible buy a small house instead

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mobile homes only depreciate in value if its a single wide. Double and triple wides do not depreciate. Ours has actually increased in value. We opted for 2x6 walls and floor joist, 2x4 interior walls. We opted for R-49 insulation in the ceilings, walls, and floors. Also your type of foundation plays alot into your value. Ours has an engineered FHA foundation, concrete and i beam piers driven into the ground, the frame is welded to it. Things are not as they used to be.

Shrek427R

Reaction score
Mobile homes have a HUD Certification number affixed to it. Double wide homes need HUD tags affixed to both units. The tag means it complies with federal safety standards. Typically the life span of an average quality grade mobile home is between 25-45 years. Higher quality grade homes have a longer life cycle toward 45 years. Stick built homes have a typical life span of 55-60 years. Zoning laws and restrictions will apply to your location. In my area of Metro Phoenix a mobile home on owned land is considered superior to mobile home parks because of HOA restrictions. Recently built mobile homes are nice comfortable single family dwellings. The price range that you mentioned more than likely rules out modular homes that are almost completely assembled in factory then delivered and assembled on site. Beware of the pre 1976 mobile homes. They typically can't receive financing by lending institutions because of safety issues (electrical problems that caused fire hazards). Many mobile homes are built to withstand wind gusts of up to 70 mph. One disadvantage of mobile home park living is slow or poor market value appreciation. However, advantages to parks are that the land lease typically includes utilities and trash, minimal site maintenance and close community living with some common recreation facilities.
I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night but I have been a RE appraiser for the last 30 years. Good luck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back