Spark Plug Help Please

S197Anthony

Reaction score
I have a 2008 full bolt on and cammed mustang gt. I am going to get the MSD Blaster coil packs and need new spark plugs. Anyone have any good suggestions on what plugs to get? Any help would be appericated.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I would save the money for the coil packs, the factory ones support all the power you’re likely to ever make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
Like above the factory coil packs are the best and most reliable choice. Also would go with the factory plugs. No n/a motors these doing very well.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have black(16mm thead) or brown (12mm thread) coil boots. That will determine which plug you need the heads were redesigned mid 08.

S197Anthony

Reaction score
Do you have black(16mm thead) or brown (12mm thread) coil boots. That will determine which plug you need the heads were redesigned mid 08.
Right now on the car is on sr coilpacks but the car stock had the black 16mm thread coil boots

PonyBoy

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Ford Performance coil packs? I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for new ones. So I was trying to compare the MSD's with the FP. But there doesn't seem to be any detailed specs on either one's output.

BTW - I have a 2010 GT that I am installing twin-turbos and a host of other bolt-ons.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are 1000rwhp 3v's running stock cops, they are proven the most reliable.

Also most of the aftermarket extra spark energy percentage claims are bs, you have to lower resistance to the primary, ie thicker wire size to to the cop to get any gain in spark energy on the secondary side of the coil.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
stick with the stockers, my Shelby has made as much as 960 whp on the stock COPs

Bwalk

Reaction score
Do you know if the plugs have been changed before? If not, the bottom part of the spark plug has a high chance of getting stuck in the engine when you try to remove the spark plugs due to carbon build up. The original black coil packs were used with a poor spark plug design that allows this to happen. It was fixed midway through 2008 models.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Use the factory Coil Packs. As others have said, they are good for 1000HP.

If you have the "old" plugs (black coil boots with 3L3E part number) the easiest way to get them out without breaking is to use an impact gun. I've done numerous sets this way, never broke one. 9/16" deep docket, an 8" or more extension, and a 1/2" drive adapter for the impact gun. Then you sometimes have to use a piece of rubber hose to slide over the top of the plug to pull it out of the hole once it's loose.

If you have the "new" plugs (brown coil boots with 8L3E part number) you can still zip them out with an impact gun, but it's definitely not necessary.

If you want a plug that has a standard - style ground strap that you can easily gap, go with Auotlites or Brisk Silver.

Otherwise, if you use the Motorcraft Platinum plugs with the continuous one piece ground strap you'll have to settle for the preset gap or buy the special gapping tool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back