Split between spring rates....

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in need of some help....

I am having trouble deciding between the Steeda sport and competition springs. My car is my DD, but does see quite abit of quarter mile action (I put on about 90 passes on it this year). In the future, I also plan on doing some track days, but the car will always be street driven.

I know the spring rates of the sport and competition springs are very similar (less than 10in/lb in the rear and less than 30in/lb in the front, I believe), but I am not sure what's right for me. My current suspension mods are:

CHE K-member brace with torque limiters
CHE UCA and UCA mount
J&M Extreme Joint LCAs
CHE PHB and lateral stiffener

I put all of the above in at the same time, the car really seemed to stiffen up. I am slightly put off by the ride and noise of the mods. On the plus side, I no longer get wheelhop while doing burnouts :)

I have ordered a Procharger H.O. system. I'm not sure how much weight it will put on the front of my car, but I'm guessing around 80-100lbs.

No matter which spring set I choose, they will be used with either D-specs or Koni adjustables. I just don't want my car to ride like my '92 TSI AWD, which was lowered some 2" with kyb agx shocks. A fun car to drive, but man, girls definitely did not like the ride.

What do you guys think?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
You have the rates damned close... It's about 25lbs different in front, 10 rear. If you are adding a blower, than I have to say that the Comps would be the way to go to compensate for the additional weight you will be adding. Also the don't sit as low to start with in the nose as the Sports do.

If it wasn't for the blower, then I'd say the Sports would be fine.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Not much different at all, in fact would say you'd be hard-pressed to even notice a difference. Comps rode great in my car, just too much front to rear split in rates and heights which would be a good think with your additional front weight.

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Sam.

Does anybody have pictures of our cars with sport or comp springs? Just trying to get a idea of the height differences, aesthetics aren't #1 in my book, but they're awfully close :)

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
On BC roads the Comps should be fine.

I would never run them here with the state of the infrastructure. The sports ride rough enough, but tolerable.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have any pics. But not sure how accurate they'd be given the extra weight in the nose anyway. Comps on *my car* lowered the rear about 1", the front about 1/4"... which is why I think on your car with the added weight they'd be very good on height and support.

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I think I will measure the height of my car before and after supercharger install. I spoke with a local Mustang guy who has a Whipple on his 2005, he said after the install, his car dropped almost 1/2" with the stock suspension. I have to say this is a bit of a surprise, I didn't think the extra 120lbs would drop it that much.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
On soft stock springs? I can see that--which is another reason I think Comps would work well for you here.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I think I will measure the height of my car before and after supercharger install. I spoke with a local Mustang guy who has a Whipple on his 2005, he said after the install, his car dropped almost 1/2" with the stock suspension. I have to say this is a bit of a surprise, I didn't think the extra 120lbs would drop it that much.

Sounds about right as mine dropped about 3/8in after installing the E-force.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back