Spoiler Delete

Stangphan

Reaction score
Today I decided to remove the stock GT spoiler from my 05. I eventually want to either get the holes filled and trunk repainted or a new spoiler but due to funds I just like the spoiler delete look for now. I know there are a few threads with information on this topic but I thought I would write one to explain a few pieces of info that I could not find. I originally meant to take pics, but got busy doing it and forgot. I will try to post a few pics of the trunk tomorrow. Overall I am happy and it looks pretty decent.

1. Pop trunk and remove four nuts holding the spoiler on.

The spoiler is also held by adhesive tape which is a huge pain.

2. Use some type of string to "saw" back and forth under the spoiler to cut the adhesive tape. I used fishing line...some people say floss is better to use to avoid scratches but I was sure to pull up slightly as I worked it back and forth and it was fine. I used blue painters tape on the trunk beside the spoiler to prevent scratches to the exposed paint. I went through quite a bit of fishing line as it kept breaking. I did not want to use really thick line due to the possibility of scratching it.

The biggest part here is to be patient as you work the line. Do not pull up on the spoiler or it could cause damage to your trunk.

3. Once the spoiler is removed you will have to fight the battle of getting that sticky goo off of your trunk. Many people have said to use many different things, but for me I used the 3M adhesive remover. It said it was safe for the paint and I trust 3M products. It took some elbow grease but it ended up working great. After about 30 minutes of carefully spraying, rubbing off with a microfiber cloth, and repeating it finally all came off.

4. For me, I was left with the marks on the trunk where the spoiler had been. I tried a clay bar, but that didn't get the marks off still. I then used Ultimate Finish System Tri-Cut II microfinishing compound and that did the trick. After all that I hit it with a coat of wax to protect it.

5. Now comes the holes. I know the best look would be to get it professionally filled and painted but like I said due to funds, I went the cheaper route. For me there were 4 holes and 3 different sized holes. I went to lowes and bought various sized plastic plugs from their hardware section. Two of the holes are round and a 3/8" fit perfectly. One hole is oblong and cutting the sides of a 3/8" plug flat made it work. The last one is small and a 5/16" fit it perfectly. I hit the tops of the plugs with some motorcraft touch up paint (which matched perfectly even on my mineral grey.) I also added some silicon on the underside to prevent leaking and so far so good.

Now it doesn't look perfect, and it's definitely not a show car, but from 5 feet away "most people" would never notice and the car IMO looks tons better without the GT spoiler. I will try to post some pictures of the trunk tomorrow to let you see what it looks like. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangphan

Reaction score
Here is what it looks like.

22819582df5b6909284b55c60469f747.jpg

9240e235e5f2992ddfbb7fe2d457efe3.jpg

23f0d469caf7b51538c32609285949ad.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
soooooo not tech............. moved

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Always liked the look of the spoiler delete on these cars, if I didn't like the gt500 spoiler on mine so much I'd rock the no spoiler nondoubt

Kput

forum member
Reaction score
^ I didn't think I'd like my gt500 spoiler as much as I do.. always loved the Roush however.

BLAKE

forum member
Reaction score
Nice work. Painting the plugs worked great. I wish I could go wingless. My old 05 that I ordered new was a wing delete car and I loved how clean it was. With my vert I picked up recently, wingless isn't really an option because the Roush wing adds 3 holes in each quarter panel. If I ever do it, it'll be a really expensive endeavor.

Also, I never see verts without a lip or wing. Not even sure how that'd look.

Smooth:
05GT9.jpg

Cool, but a little boy racer for my taste:
image_zps0razoxfq.jpeg

Stangphan

Reaction score
Always liked the look of the spoiler delete on these cars, if I didn't like the gt500 spoiler on mine so much I'd rock the no spoiler nondoubt

I've been wanting to get the cervini stalker spoiler that looks similar to the Saleen rear end but y'all have me contemplating at GT500 now

Back