Spring install issues

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
So where you guys able to reinstall the springs without a spring compressor an if so how? had a tech article saying you can push down on one hand and reinstall the 21mm bolt...yeah I dont see that happening. Any help greatly appreciated. Shane

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
Are they lowering springs or stock length? If lowering springs they should be shorter and you can push by hand, if they are the stock length, worst case is to go to autozone and pick up the Strut spring compressor. They will give your money back when you return it.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply..they are steeda and shorter..but still alot of tension. Will check into the spring compressor.-Shane

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
You can use the weight of the car to compress it for you. If you raise the car in the air, disconnect the sway bar end link, and hang the caliper out of the way. You can then place a floor jack under the outter part of the lower control, remove the nut holding the strut to the cc plate, then by lowering the floor jack you will take the pressure off of the spring. Youll prob have to take the strut to spindle bolts out also to remove the strut. It sounds like a lot but actually goes pretty quick with air tools.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can use the weight of the car to compress it for you. If you raise the car in the air, disconnect the sway bar end link, and hang the caliper out of the way. You can then place a floor jack under the outter part of the lower control, remove the nut holding the strut to the cc plate, then by lowering the floor jack you will take the pressure off of the spring. Youll prob have to take the strut to spindle bolts out also to remove the strut. It sounds like a lot but actually goes pretty quick with air tools.

This,

OR

remove the strut, lay it on it's side up against a wall, place your feet on the mount plate, loosen top nut with impact wrench and hang on. It's dangerous, but thrilling all at the same time and works!

Reaction score
This,

OR

remove the strut, lay it on it's side up against a wall, place your feet on the mount plate, loosen top nut with impact wrench and hang on. It's dangerous, but thrilling all at the same time and works!

is that supposed to be a joke?

check the corner carving section. this has been covered in detail.

pingaloca25

**Ginger**
Reaction score
This,

OR

i actually did that the first time with my springs.....never again :chainsaw:

Reaction score
omg, you guys aren't kidding. Please don't post shit like that because someone will be naive enough to do that and hurt themselves. Anyone else notice the gene pool thinning out around here? Fuck.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
HA HA HA...not that guy. Finished with the front spring install. Lets say these are not so much harder than a 99-04 install which I have done a million times, but different. The issue that I had was not understanding how the upper strut tower assy worked. The plastic swivel piece fell apart when I took the strut out initially. It snaps back together which I didn't know. Once I assembled the upper part it was easy enough to get the bolt on. After that..it was all down hill. Other side took half the time..but thats nothing knew for any of us. One question though..when installed with the weight of the car do you have three of the lower springs compressed on each other? Thanks for all the help..and death wishes...lol.Shane

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Daymn...well when I went to leave for work this morning the front of the car is "clunking" bad. I know I put everything back together and it seems as if its both sides. Any idea what this could be?

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
If it's anything like the 05-09 cars I had to over torque everything to help with clunking noises. Could also be the strut mount. Eventually I bought GT500 upper strut mounts which I never got to put on as I'm trading mine in today on the 5.0!!!!

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose everything wastightened properly so it could be the coils rubbing where they are tightly wound? My front does not clunk at all. Have ford racing k springs, dampeners and gt500 top hats. The rear clunking is a different story.

stang03

forum member
Reaction score
Daymn...well when I went to leave for work this morning the front of the car is "clunking" bad. I know I put everything back together and it seems as if its both sides. Any idea what this could be?

Tighten the upper strut bolt. dont know the particular name, but its the bolt on the end of the rod that slides into the hole near the top of the strut. Near the upper inside part of your fender well

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tighten the upper strut bolt. dont know the particular name, but its the bolt on the end of the rod that slides into the hole near the top of the strut. Near the upper inside part of your fender well

Sway Bar endlink.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score

BINGO...pulled the impact gun out after my last post...hit it a few times...PERFECT. :thanks1:

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
I just got through with the rear..soooooo easyyyy! I wish the fronts had been that easy...lol. Looks great....will get a pic tomorrow during the day. All I need now is the new decklid installed and the flat black stripes...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back