Spring rate balance questions...

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I think you should go race your car and find out what YOU feel needs to be addressed based on YOUR driving style instead of bench-racing and asking everyone else's opinions.

After a point, "correct" car setup comes down to how the driver wants the car to feel.

Absolutely. I have no intention of changing anything until I have driven at least a couple of track events with the car in stock form (with the exception of the larger wheels/tires).

But inasmuch as I hear tell that ASTs have a very large lead time, I want to have as much early information on hand as possible.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
For rear ride harshness, I think I'd blame (too much) high speed bump damping and LCA inclination/SVIC location a whole lot more.

Norm

I understand bump damping's influence; never really thought of LCA slope/SVIC's effect on ride quality. Is this based on how the axle would want to move fore/aft when moving up and down? Like it's fighting a free up and down movement?

Lower ride height/short travel seem like culprits too.

This seems like a commonly seen number for streetable coil over setups. One of these days I'd like to try this spring rate out.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I understand bump damping's influence; never really thought of LCA slope/SVIC's effect on ride quality. Is this based on how the axle would want to move fore/aft when moving up and down? Like it's fighting a free up and down movement?
Yes.

When you hit a bump, if the wheel much travel forward ("into" the bump) as it moves up, it'll make the bump more harsh. Softish OE bushings mitigate this to varying degrees of effectiveness by allowing the wheel path to end up going backward or at least "less forward" - which opens the matters of bushing material and "stiction" in bushings or shocks as contributors to harshness.

Norm

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Yes.

When you hit a bump, if the wheel much travel forward ("into" the bump) as it moves up, it'll make the bump more harsh. Softish OE bushings mitigate this to varying degrees of effectiveness by allowing the wheel path to end up going backward or at least "less forward" - which opens the matters of bushing material and "stiction" in bushings or shocks as contributors to harshness.

I can see how that would happen as the LCA passes through horizontal.

Would this be mitigated through the use of LCA relocation brackets? Which, if I'm not mistaken, would also have the benefit (if done carefully) of increasing AS% and AD%...

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate. If you are on a 55mph road doing 55 and approach a 4 way intersection with a green light and the speed limit of the road you are turning onto is 55mph......totally legal...

Actually, it can be reasonably articulated that this is an unsafe driving maneuver in court. For one, that'd be pretty damn impressive for a car to do at those speeds, two conditions on public roads generally are not as good as they are on road courses so it might even be arguable to some form of Willful Reckless Driving.

WRD in Nebraska is:
Any person who drives any motor vehicle in such a manner as to indicate a willful disregard for the safety of persons or property shall be guilty of willful reckless driving.

It would not be difficult to say that taking a 90º corner at 55 mph from a 55 mph zone to a 55 mph zone would satisfy the reckless driving portion. Whether you could prove it as intentional depends on how the stop goes.

I'd have to consult with the county attorney if there is anything else broken in doing so but suffice to say if I saw you do that I'd pull you over, tell you that you were driving like an asshole, and being stupid, then high five you for somehow sticking it! :)

Back to the topic at hand...
I can see how that would happen as the LCA passes through horizontal.

Would this be mitigated through the use of LCA relocation brackets? Which, if I'm not mistaken, would also have the benefit (if done carefully) of increasing AS% and AD%...

Understand that %AS and %AD are measurements of load carried by the suspension arms as apposed to the springs. At 100%AS the rear lower control arms and the upper control arm carry the full rearward "weight transfer" of the suspension and the spring carries ZERO. That is why at 100%AS there is zero rear suspension compression or extension (although the tires will deflect). When it comes to ride quality, the bushings are significantly higher "spring rate" in compression than the springs are so any change in acceleration is going to have a noticeable impact harshness at higher %AS. Those angles too are going to have a horizontal and vertical force associated with them when going over bumps and steeper LCA angles used for higher %AS will transmit more through the bushings than a car with less %AS and everything else being the same.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Yep, and (per the previous discussion we had) the S197 is apparently quite a bit better (if Sam Strano's right) about this than a lot of McStrut platforms, hence the need to go with much higher front rates in order to maximize grip is significantly reduced. Between that and the front bar, it's sounding like the only real reason for significantly stiffening the ride is high speed controllability under heavy braking.

Maybe the S197 is better than others, maybe it's not, but I've had a dozen or so sets of front tires wiped out on the outside edge, despite the higher-than-stock spring AND bar rates, and a static -2.7* camber setting. I've essentially come to the conclusion that I just need to dial in more static negative to keep the tires alive, OR increase the spring rates to minimize the camber change. At this point, I'm leaning towards a bit of both. I'm considering going to something on the order of 500-550lb front springs, and moving to -3.0* camber and see how that does. The goal is to get a single set of tires to cord essentially evenly in an endurance race situation. Currently, I can get between 3-4 hours out of the fronts before I start grinding the outside edges off completely. I want to extend that to around 5 hours or so.

I was thinking about this a bit. Seems to me that the wheel rate at the rear isn't a simple constant like it would be with an independent suspension, but is instead a variable, and (thanks to the fact that the springs are located somewhat inboard) the wheel rate at one end is not just due to the spring at that end, but due in part to the spring at the other end, as well. Which is to say, if you keep one end of the rear suspension anchored and move the other end vertically, the resulting wheel rate is a function of both springs.
You are correct, however you have to remember that "one end anchored" isn't a realistic situation. The car is going to pivot around the rear roll center, and any compression on one side is going to have some corresponding rebound on the other. Granted, even THIS is simplified, since in the real world, most of the time the rear will also be either lifting or squatting due to either trail-braking or accelerating through.

How does AS% and AD% affect the wheel rates in steady state cornering? I can obviously see how they would affect it during braking and acceleration.
In short, they don't affect the wheel rate in steady-state at all. They DO affect the rate dramatically, however, in a real-world setting where you have something other than a billiard-table-smooth track to drive on. The instantaneous nature of the AS% and AD% can and will exacerbate a transient (high-speed) surface imperfection, like an expansion joint, or pothole. To keep from popping the tires clean off the ground, you MAY need to adjust your spring rates a touch. The other thing to chat about here, is the "steady state cornering" concept. Outside of a skidpad or for use when doing theoretical modeling (to simplify and isolate causes and effects), there is NO such thing on a road course. At least not for any appreciable duration of time, anyway. On a "traditional 90* corner," I would probably trail-brake in, then rapidly transition to the gas pedal. At this point I *COULD* steady-state through the corner, then roll into the gas after apex. Or, what I actually do, is immediately start pushing the gas, hunting/feeling the grip limit the whole time. Since I normally take some variation on a late-apex line, I'm never describing a smooth (constant radius) curve anywhere in the corner. The initial turn-in is sharp (tight radius), then right around apex (+/- rotational attitude and momentum) the radius begins to increase, and with it, the effective Vmax that can be carried. So, the time not spent either decelerating or accelerating is very, very minimal, to the point of not being worth discussing. Even on a carousel (and there are only five in my entire region!), I'm pretty aggressively hunting for the traction limits, so again, little steady-state throttle, which is a requirement for steady-state cornering. Just food for thought.

Okay, well, in my case, the rubber is going to be more or less a constant: 285/35-19 street tires. I'm not in this for competition, I'm in it for fun, so getting minimum lap times isn't what this is about for me.
Understood. Rubber choice really doesn't matter per se, but the concept that you need to tune TO that rubber is still an essential one. If you swapped over to Hoosiers, you would need to completely change your setup (and driving style) to take advantage of what they offer. Switching back to the street rubber would again require a change. The setup on the car is there to promote maximum utility of the traction patch. Period. Doing anything else is simply selling yourself short.

From what I've seen of pictures of these cars in stock form under heavy braking, it looks to me like the bulk of the motion under heavy braking is actually in the rear due to the suspension "jacking up" back there. How will changing AD% affect the ride on bumpier surfaces? Will it result in more "skipping" over irregularities under heavy braking or something?
Take a good look again at some side-view shots of cars under heavy braking. There will be a pivot point in side view around which the car will apparently rotate... Weight transfer is simply that, transfer. None is created or lost, therefore the net weight on the four corners must remain essentially equal (+/- inertial effects). Does the rear "jack up" more than the front dives? Quite possibly, and that will be a function of where that side-view "roll center" is located, as well as the distances from that "roll center" to the axle centerlines, analagous to motion ratio. And AS% and AD% will certainly affect how the suspension handles transient impacts. Remember that the front suspension has AS% and AD% as well! Having the front control arms non-parallel to the ground in side view will affect how they react to weight transfer, as well as handle surface irregularities.

And since mine is a DD, there's going to be a limit as to how hard I can make the spring rates without compromising the ride. I have driven a car with KW v3 coilovers and the ride was surprisingly good (equal to or better than stock over most bumps that did not exceed the suspension travel capability of the car with the given springs), so damper quality seems to be capable of making up for a lot. But there's a caveat here: the KW v3 springs are apparently progressive, and I don't know what rates they have at/near ride height compression.

And when you factor those in, I expect the "win" goes primarily towards the "soft springs/heavy bars" school, right?
To a point, you are correct. Proper damper curves that match the springs on the car will go a LLLOONNNGG way towards maximizing the "ride quality" of the entire suspension package, as you noted with the KW comment. My comment about "peeing blood" that Barbaro took and ran with was more about running a pure track setup on the street with no changes. If I dial my ASTs all the way soft, the ride is quite reasonable, however, that's not what I use the car for. I think it's a given that with equal damper effectiveness, a stiffer spring will generate a harder ride. Soft springs and cheap dampers could easily ride "worse" than hard springs with proper damper curves, though. So no, it's not as easy as saying "soft springs mean a better ride."

As for whether or how much the coilovers will limit your rebound travel at a given ride height, that might be a question best asked directly to the manufacturers, or their better-educated sales staff, like Terry or Sam.

I was very impressed with how well, in the video you posted, your coilover setup handled the irregularities of that road course compared with the BMR springs and Tokicos. The car just seemed completely stable with the coilovers. Between that and my experience with the KW v3 coilovers, they are a very tempting route for me. But given my hard requirements, I don't (yet) see how they can be made to work for me. Help!
That level of control, where the car simply soaks up the irregularities and handles dynamic loads with aplomb, is what you get for your hard-earned shekles when you go with a good damper. I'm not saying that a Koni yellow won't give you the bulk of that, however, the AST-level damper simply gives smoother control than even the Koni.

If I wind up changing springs, I'll jack the adjusters all the way up on mine and measure from wheel lip to spindle center and see exactly what the maximum ride-height would be. Obviously, that will change if you use something other than GEN1 AST4100's, so on second though, I think I'll blow that off.

I'm still betting that you can accommodate all the requirements you have with a good set of coil-overs. If nothing else, you'll have access to spring rates in 25lb increments from slinky to rigid, and at a MUCH more affordable price than having OE-fitment pieces custom-wound. What you might be able to do is take a measurement from the bottom of the stock bearing plate to the top strut bolt hole, and use that as a "loaded metric." Then jack the front up (both sides!!) and re-do the measurement to see what maximum rebound travel would be. Then take those numbers to AST/KW/MCS/Sachs/Penske/Ohlins/etc. and see how their measurements would compare. With a coilover, you could consider their max extension to be the equivalent to your full droop, and then do the math from there to deterimine where you would be in the total stroke of the piston based on your individual corner-weights. If you haven't scaled the car, use something around 950-1100 for the fronts. Assume that the springs are set up to just touch the bearing plate at full droop (zero preload), and then divide the 950-1100 by the spring rate to get static compression of the strut. IE, assuming 1000lbs, and 250lb springs, that will compress the strut 4" by simply putting it on the ground. If you have a 7" total stroke, that means you have 3" of bump travel, and 4" of rebound travel before running out of stroke. It would be better if you had actual corner-weights, of your particular car, to work with, as it will be more accurate, however, those numbers will get you in the ballpark.

Does anybody know the total stroke available on a stock strut? That might help in the comparison. In the end, though, I don't think a 3/4" to 1" total reduction in travel is going to mean much, particularly if you maintain stock or near-stock amounts of compression stroke. If you reduce your rebound stroke from (example only!) 4" to 3", you'll only run out of room if the pothole you drive into is MORE than 3" deep... And you shouldn't be driving in those anyway, you might kill the fish living in it!

How much of the "driveway scrape" is due to the pure geometry of the situation, and how much is due to suspension motion on very soft springs? If you creep onto the driveway apron, how much actual clearance are we looking at?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Dave - the side view analogy to roll center would be some sort of "pitch center".

FWIW, the actual point(s) about which pitch actually occurs likely differ more from any geometric notion of pitch center than actual roll point(s) differ from geometric roll centers. Unless you only turn left on generally smallish ovals, left side vs right side wheel rates in roll don't differ by nearly as much as front vs rear wheel rates in ride tend to.

From that 2005 Mustang MVMS .pdf document that's been floating 'round the net, the OE suspension travels are a little under 3.5" in bump and about 4" in rebound.

Norm

Attachments

• S197 Suspension Info.jpg
    S197 Suspension Info.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 19

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Actually, it can be reasonably articulated that this is an unsafe driving maneuver in court. For one, that'd be pretty damn impressive for a car to do at those speeds, two conditions on public roads generally are not as good as they are on road courses so it might even be arguable to some form of Willful Reckless Driving.
For typing anyway, you beat me to it.

In Massachusetts, the definition of "driving to endanger" (a rather serious criminal traffic charge) includes endangering the driver himself. It is a completely subjective crime based upon law enforcement observation of your driving behavior.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I was thinking about this a bit. Seems to me that the wheel rate at the rear isn't a simple constant like it would be with an independent suspension, but is instead a variable, and (thanks to the fact that the springs are located somewhat inboard) the wheel rate at one end is not just due to the spring at that end, but due in part to the spring at the other end, as well. Which is to say, if you keep one end of the rear suspension anchored and move the other end vertically, the resulting wheel rate is a function of both springs.
Yes. Mathematically speaking, a suspension has six "degrees of freedom", most of which are controlled by the suspension linkage geometry (and steering geometry for front wheels). Control of ride (aka two wheel bump) and roll motions are left to the elastic suspension components - springs and sta-bars - and the dampers.

As soon as you tie two of the wheels together at all, anything but equal simultaneous vertical motion of both wheels gets both sides of the suspension involved in roll. This includes the case of a nominally independent suspension that also features a sta-bar, though by good design choice the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

And when you factor those in, I expect the "win" goes primarily towards the "soft springs/heavy bars" school, right?
That is the usual OE mfr approach, for good reason. This does assume that the shock damping curves have been properly thought out for the anticipated typical use of the car.

The requirement for a drop no more than 3/4" from stock ride height is a hard requirement for me,

And if I can't achieve what I want with coilovers, then I must do so using standard lowering springs and struts/shocks.
I have a similar requirement that's as much for other reasons as the ability to negotiate driveway entrances, repair ramp angles, and such.

For the rear, I think that adjustable spring seats are available - and which may use coilover springs which gives you wider rate selection.

But if I eventually end up DIY-fabbing my own suspension spring "spacers" to put the ride height where I want it, it wouldn't be the first set.

Norm

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
For typing anyway, you beat me to it.

In Massachusetts, the definition of "driving to endanger" (a rather serious criminal traffic charge) includes endangering the driver himself. It is a completely subjective crime based upon law enforcement observation of your driving behavior.

Norm

I'd have to consult with the county attorney if there is anything else broken in doing so but suffice to say if I saw you do that I'd pull you over, tell you that you were driving like an asshole, and being stupid, then high five you for somehow sticking it! :)

Back to the topic at hand...

Both of you just need to settle that ass on down...officers. :cowboy:
Now, Officer Norm, Officer Whiskey....if you will excuse me, I gotta go quote Dave on some interesting information.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Remember that the front suspension has AS% and AD% as well! Having the front control arms non-parallel to the ground in side view will affect how they react to weight transfer, as well as handle surface irregularities.

So when torque arm supporters say that the Torque Arm got rid of brake dive....are they talking about only the rear brakes? That would seem real hard for a pro-torque arm person to say "the car no longer dives when you hit the brakes" if it is only affecting the rear brakes.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Now, Officer Norm, Officer Whiskey....if you will excuse me, I gotta go quote Dave on some interesting information.

Officer Whiskey is correct, I think Engineer Norm is a better term if you are trying to nail down our collective jobs! :highfive:

To answer your torque arm question, when you slam on the brakes there are two different directions the chassis is moving... brake dive is obvious at the front but at the other end the chassis is rising up. The rising up comes from the weight transferring off the rear of the car to the front.

When a TA supporter says that they saw a reduction in brake dive, what they are actually experiencing is a reduction in rear end lift which is reducing the felt and seen magnitude of the front brake dive. Instead of feeling the rear rise and the front dive, you are only seeing the front dive and the rear rise at a fraction of what it was without one. This isn't necessarily a product that is the sole domain of TA's. You could set a 3 link up to do something similar but it will cost you in roll steer. This component is tied to %AS as they both use the Side View Instant Center (SVIC) as a reference point and I believe it's called %AntiLift.

For the record, at my values for autocross I don't notice any reduction in brake dive but that could be the 440lbs/in front springs and near OEM levels of %AS. I will say that I DO notice it with the stock springs in it. In fact the last time I calculated out my %AS at OE ride height it was something like 80% and there is noticeably less dive and squat under braking than with the 3 link setup. If I could get the OK from Filip, I wouldn't mind taking my car like this to the drag strip and see what happens! :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . can't publicly let you off the hook that easy, being that it was your example that set things off . . .

That's not entirely accurate. If you are on a 55mph road doing 55 and approach a 4 way intersection with a green light and the speed limit of the road you are turning onto is 55mph......totally legal...
Privately, sure we probably all drive a bit harder than we should from time to time. But that doesn't equate to legal immunity or even "reasonableness".
[/offtopic]

Norm . . . . BTW, better make that "retired engineer", at least for the foreseeable future. :clap:
norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture9446-oldguy.png

Last edited:

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
From that 2005 Mustang MVMS .pdf document that's been floating 'round the net, the OE suspension travels are a little under 3.5" in bump and about 4" in rebound.

Norm

So if someone were to swap out the stock springs on a Brembo equipped car for the Ford Racing P Lowering Springs, the car should stay off the bump stops just as well as the stock springs, using OE style struts in the front.

The number I see quotes for the P springs is 204lbs per inch. The brembo front springs are supposed to be 131lbs per inch. The P springs offer a 73lbs per inch of travel increase.

They are also supposed to lower the car 1". The car is now left with 2.5" of travel on an OE style strut. After 2" of compression on the P, the P spring would be supplying 408lbs of restoring force in addition to that supplied at ride height. After 3" of compression the stock spring would supply 393lbs. Both of these scenarios would leave the front of the car with 0.5" of travel remaining. To hit the bump stops in this scenario, it would take an additional 102 lbs of force on the P springs, and only 65.5lbs on the stock springs.

So, presumably, P lowering springs would likely not make the ride worse in the front, assuming a damper like the Koni STR.t is used.

However, the rear springs here are only 165lbs compared to the 167lbs of stock springs. We also lose an inch of travel at stock ride height here, so we would be hitting the bump stops in the rear much more easily.

Is all this info correct? If so, does anybody know if it is possible to get a rear spring that will lower the car 1" and be around 225-250lbs?

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Is all this info correct? If so, does anybody know if it is possible to get a rear spring that will lower the car 1" and be around 225-250lbs?

For the rear, you can mount a threaded "height" adjuster and buy a linear rate spring and adjust for ride height. You may have to do a little math adding up the perch and spring length dimensions, but it's not complicated.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
The two basic schools of thought:

Soft springs/heavy bars: Roll is controlled via the swaybars, keeping the pitch and flat-ride component soft, to handle surface irregularities. Downside is that in longitudinal transfer conditions (accel/braking), the car tends to move. A lot. Under braking, it will face-plant, as the load transferred creates a LOT of suspension travel. You can play with the "anti" suspension angles to offset this a bit, but then the ride begins to suffer on bumpier track surfaces. Good dampers go a long way to offsetting the issues by controlling the RATE at which the forces transfer.

Hard springs/soft bars: Overall, suspension motion is reduced in longitudinal loading, with roughly the same motion in lateral load, as the wheel rates remain the same. The downside is that the ride will be a lot harsher over irregularities, and good dampers again are extremely important, as they are now required to control the suspension properly with (relatively) little suspension motion to work with.

Dave, I have always used this school of thought with the differences between a track setup and autocross setup. Being with an autocross setup you want the car to "dance" so that the car is lighter on its feet since transition is so important where as at the track you want that car planted in a corner to in your own words drive it harder. Pavement services tend not to be as poor quality on a track compared to say a parking lot. But in the end dampers still matter for whatever application you are looking to run.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Sheizasosay: Not exactly. The TA doesn't affect the brakes at all, per se, but the geometry does affect the tendency to dive and lift. Remember, though, that if the rear is "lift resistant," that still doesn't change the weight transfer, it just tends to unload the rear through a different mechanism. Do a little research on "F-body brake hop" and you'll soon see what I'm talking about.

Jayel: I've long suspected that you'd want a completely different setup under the car for autocross than you would for a "big track." What you say (dancing vs. planted) makes perfect sense, and I have a new understanding of the "why" behind autocrossers being so violent with control inputs their first few outings on a road course... Thank you!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So if someone were to swap out the stock springs on a Brembo equipped car for the Ford Racing P Lowering Springs, the car should stay off the bump stops just as well as the stock springs, using OE style struts in the front.
For bump travel due to body inertia effects (mainly roll and pitch), yes. Ultimately at steady state, the body motions (coming from inertial forces applied at the CG) are resisted by forces developed in the springs and bars, so this is a force loading.

For bump travel occasioned by hitting a bump of some fixed height or a hole of some other fixed contour - essentially a fixed displacement loading applied at the contact patch(es), not necessarily.

Not quite the same.

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back