Stanglax's turbo build

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
Ok well I finally took to plunge and bought my first big performance mod for any of the mustangs I have owned. I have always just stuck to bolt ons but an awesome deal popped up on an S&H turbo kit so I pulled the tigger. The plan for now is to just keep it in the "safe" area of 450-500hp. But everybody knows how that goes. Lol

I have a couple questions though:
What kind of spark plugs does everybody run with their F/I set ups?

Suggestions of gauge pods? Probably only going to run a boost and wide band gauge

Any things I should keep an eye out on the install? Going to be installing with my the help of my friend that is a big turbo 4cyl. Guy so I'm not going into it completely blind lol

And still haven't decided on a tuner yet. I have heard a lot of good things about Lito but not sure on email style tunes. And there are couple big mustang shops that do tuning like Lamotta performance that's about 15 minutes from my house. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What year is your car? If it's a 3v with the older style of plugs go with ht0. If it's the newer style of head then NGK 7 heat range.

SOS gauge pod like mentioned above. Make sure that you wire an output from the wideband controller so that you can datalog with it.

I'd go with lito. As long as you can datalog the a/f he can get you a great tune that's based on actual driving conditions. This is extremely important with a turbo.

The only thing I can think of is when you are done do a key on check of the fuel injectors. Sometimes they don't seat right and will leak at the oring. The fix is usually nothing more than a wiggle adjustment until it seals. Sometimes it needs a new oring.

I like to have a fire extinguisher nearby when doing the first start and another set of eyes on the engine compartment helps too.

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
1) one step colder
2) speed of sound pillar pod
3) not sure
4)Lito all the way man

What year is your car? If it's a 3v with the older style of plugs go with ht0. If it's the newer style of head then NGK 7 heat range.

SOS gauge pod like mentioned above. Make sure that you wire an output from the wideband controller so that you can datalog with it.

I'd go with lito. As long as you can datalog the a/f he can get you a great tune that's based on actual driving conditions. This is extremely important with a turbo.

The only thing I can think of is when you are done do a key on check of the fuel injectors. Sometimes they don't seat right and will leak at the oring. The fix is usually nothing more than a wiggle adjustment until it seals. Sometimes it needs a new oring.

I like to have a fire extinguisher nearby when doing the first start and another set of eyes on the engine compartment helps too.

Thanks for the info guys. It's an 08 so I need to find if it's got the new or old style plugs. What's the easiest way to find out? And since my cams won't sell I'm thinking about putting them in as well. Is that a bad idea seeing that they are mutha thumpr's?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have an 08 that came with the old style plugs. Look at the build date in the door jamb sticker. You can also look at the coil boot colors. Brown is the new style, black is the old style. IIRC anything built after November of 07 should have the new style. I missed it by 3 weeks.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have old style you will have black cop boots, new style is brown cop boots iirc.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Lito! Hands down....he will have it running better on his first email tune than other tuners using a dyno....don't let the email portion bother you, find a local dyno that will rent it out to you by the hour and schedule up the tune with lito, then just email each other to nail it down perfect.

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
Well I have brown cop so I have the new style of heads woot woot. lol Does anybody have the part number for the NGK plugs by any chance? I hoping to buy the rest of what I need this week and hopefully put the kit on a couple of weeks from now. The next week or so have vary little free time since Im helping my buddy put his race mud truck back together for a race next weekend in Bama.

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
Well I guess I can update this a tad bit finally. I finally have all the odds and ends for this build. Base tune should be done tomorrow and install will start tomorrow after work. Then dyno tune sometime next week.

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures I took so far. The one showing the turbo looks like the turbo is really crammed in there but I was thinking about relocating the coolant tank then decided against it. Also made "custom" brackets to pull the radiator and a/c condenser closer the the core support. Sorry for lack of pictures but just dont really think about it until im done working for the night and snap one or two of what I got accomplished. But the whole kit is on other than doing the fuel pump, gauges, WOT box, and CMDPs. Hopefully will be done this weekend and fired up as long as I get the MAF plug and play extension in the mail tomorrow.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Looks good so far! I made 492/499 on 9 psi with the same set up. I used Lito for tuning and only turned it to 6000 rpm

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good so far! I made 492/499 on 9 psi with the same set up. I used Lito for tuning and only turned it to 6000 rpm

Yea I saw that. I have been using your build thread as a reference for mine. lol I just wish had a "Winter" so I wouldnt feel like I had to get it all done at once. I mean I have been borrowing my dads truck to get around but would be nice to be able to take my sweet ass time to do it. lol

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Yea I saw that. I have been using your build thread as a reference for mine. lol I just wish had a "Winter" so I wouldnt feel like I had to get it all done at once. I mean I have been borrowing my dads truck to get around but would be nice to be able to take my sweet ass time to do it. lol

I know what you mean! Im trying to get my motor together so I can enjoy it this fall. I definitely know how it is. I like that you went with the black powdercoat as well. Makes for a stealthier and cleaner look in my opinion!

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
I know what you mean! Im trying to get my motor together so I can enjoy it this fall. I definitely know how it is. I like that you went with the black powdercoat as well. Makes for a stealthier and cleaner look in my opinion!

Yea that is another reason other than than the killer deal I got on it, it was already ceramic coated black. Any tricks to help make the fuel pump/ pprv delete easy? And I don't remember if you had the WOT box but if you do how does that all go on? I haven't done any research on that yet. Been slacking lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want to send me your fuel hat I will modify your hat for you with the new fuel goodies. Just cover return shipping $15. I offer this to any of our customers when they buy a turbo setup from us, even though you got yours second hand. If you want a walkthrough of how to install it yourself send me a pm.

stanglax28

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to send me your fuel hat I will modify your hat for you with the new fuel goodies. Just cover return shipping $15. I offer this to any of our customers when they buy a turbo setup from us, even though you got yours second hand. If you want a walkthrough of how to install it yourself send me a pm.

I appreciate the offer but we got it done. Was a kinda a bitch but not to bad. Im just glad I have somebody that has years of experience working on turbo setups. Car should have been done by now but we keep slacking. My buddy has had a high fever for the past week and seem to shake it. All we have left is to finish the CMPD's and wire up the gauges and shell be ready to fire up. Tune is scheduled for next Tuesday but I go out of town Friday-Sunday so I have to have it done before then. lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back