Start up trouble: It's not the battery

trunkajar

Reaction score
When i try to start up my 05 GT it has a hard time turning over, kind of like the battery is weak.

It is not the battery because all the electronics are working, and the voltage indicator says i have a full charge. I also got the bat checked just in case and the battery is fine.

A strange thing i noticed is that every time i try to try to start it the clock radio in the shaker 1000 resets to 12:00 and the trip meter resets.

It will start after a few seconds, but i'm not sure whats wrong with it? Bad alternator?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
What is the voltage WHEN it is cranking? If it's the stock battery, depending on the date of manufacture, it could be nearing its end.
A weak battery will exhibit weak turning over, especially as it gets colder. At some point it will just die. A voltage reading without being under load (like when actually cranking) is useless.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^ What he said.

If your clock is resetting then you are loosing voltage during the crank.

"The voltage indicator says I have a full charge". Explain that one to me please. I didn't realize these cars had a gauge that told you that you have a full charge on your battery. As for the alternator, it has nothing to do with the car actually starting.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the terminals. My original battery's positive terminal corroded like crazy! It actually got so bad the whole terminal came off in my hand when I went to swap out the battery. I had all the same symptoms you had too, plus some funky blue-green corrosion all over the terminal. I poured a little diet coke over the terminal, and it would get better temporarily, but the corrosion would always come back. Since swapping to a newer Motorcraft, I haven't had the problem.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the new ones have a mess center mine tells me shit like that when i do a "scan"

His is an 05 according to his post. I have an 05 and have never seen what he says he has.

Big Top Gt

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
What causes that nasty corrosion? I was having that problem right before my battery left me stranded an hour from home.

AAA jumped me and I drove to pepboys, only to find they don't stock the reverse post optima our cars require.

Anyway, I'd head to PepBoys and have them perform their 20 dollar charging system test. (or the free battery test, but I think you've already done that.)

It's either a dying battery or dirty terminals.

Check the terminals first. Alwasy start with the cheapest fix first and work your way up, since it's usually the stupid/cheap/obvious thing that's causing the trouble. :)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back