Starter buffer kit...

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Wanted some thoughts on this before pulling the trigger... AutoGeek has a special running right now so thought I would finally give up my current buffer "Old Trusty" (Pic below) and go with a big boy unit.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-combo.html

I already have the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer and Paint Sealant 3.0 so could use the two added products in the kit.

What other CCS pads do I "Need"? I am just getting started so don't need multiples in every color, I just want to have the basics for now. The kit come with the Orange Light Cutting and Grey Finishing Pad, I was going to get another orange and two more grey's. Thinking about the white Polishing pads as well?

Guidance is appreciated!

Old Trusty!
mqzgl.jpg

28ONE

Reaction score
Great stater kit however I'd recommend this GG kit instead because it has more power and comes with a lifetime warranty. I would also add a 5" backing plate as well and some more 5.5" CCS pads (2-orange 2-white 2-blue) Imo opinion you'll achieve more with greater control using 5.5" pad and the size is better suited to our body lines...

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Id buy a flex. In the end youll be much happier with it.

I think if he is only doing his car the PC or GG is fine. With right pads/compounds the PC will fix 98% of issues, micro fiber pads will get the rest. I now own a flex, but made do with the XP PC for over two years and ran the original PC for over ten. For me the flex cuts the time in half.. Been an old fart that is an important trait...

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have a porter cable 7424xp with the heavy duty 25ft cord for sale if you want. I've used it twice and just don't like it. I'm used to my rotary that I use everyday for work

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all! Switching the order over to the package 28One recommended with additional pads.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Thanks 00, already placed my order for the previous option. Appreciate the offer though! :beerdrink:

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Np man. Enjoy it the GG is an awesome machine. I sold it when I bought my flex and I wish I kept it and tossed a 3 in pad set up on it.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the 6" GG and love it. Works much better on our cars than it did on my old SN95. Still been debating picking up their smaller 3" for tight spots, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Coming from the 10" diameter dinosaur I have been using I am excited to have something from this century to buff with. I got pretty good at wielding that thing around the car but really wanted to move to something smaller with actual pads to work the paint correctly. Can't wait to have it arrive so I can go detail the car!

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
The Griots 6" is well worth the money. I have one and it works great. If you have the cash then I would recommend the Rupes or Flex for sure.

28ONE

Reaction score
Coming from the 10" diameter dinosaur I have been using I am excited to have something from this century to buff with. I got pretty good at wielding that thing around the car but really wanted to move to something smaller with actual pads to work the paint correctly. Can't wait to have it arrive so I can go detail the car!

Just curious as to what the condition of your paint is?

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Your thoughts on the condition may be more critical than mine... that being said, there are some light swirls that you can see if you catch it right in the light. I would say it is 2-3 foot condition... looks perfect up to 3 feet then you may start to see some imperfections. Below are two pics for reference, the first is from about 2 feet, the second is from 6 inches.

5ycp.jpg

heu9.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
That's my hope! that is why I am shelving ol' trusty and getting a big boy buffer.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Even the PC 7424 will be a step up from your old buffer. Thing to remember is that proper technique and pad usage are key...don't shortcut, give your buffer the proper time to work in the product and you will likely remove 95% of surface imperfections unless your paint is in horrendous condition. The Flex and Rupes have forced rotation and will cover a bigger area, so you save time but there's a bigger initial cost. I'd like to jump up soon but the PC does what I need it to so I've yet to drop another 3-400 on a buffer alone.

28ONE

Reaction score
Your thoughts on the condition may be more critical than mine... that being said, there are some light swirls that you can see if you catch it right in the light. I would say it is 2-3 foot condition... looks perfect up to 3 feet then you may start to see some imperfections. Below are two pics for reference, the first is from about 2 feet, the second is from 6 inches.

You're in good hands with the kit you picked up. Here's some helpful info:

Always do test spot with least aggressive combo first.
Keep your pads clean
Arm speed and technique are essential
Don't hesitate to ask questions - quite a few guys here with tons of experience and that are willing to help

What's your supply of MF towels look like?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back