Starter Problems

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Question, I have an 09 V6 that I have had ALOT of problems with over the last couple of months with starting. More often than not, when i put the key in and turn.....NOTHING happens, the gauges move and you can hear the solenoid but that's it.......car will not start.

However, when i hit my remote start button on my alarm, it starts right up NO PROBLEM. Sometimes, after the car has been running for awhile if i jump out and run into a store or something then come back the key works fine.....but not always.

Basically, i have to use my remote start 85% of the time to get the car cranked.

The spark plugs and battery are less than a month old.....thought these were possibly the problem. My only guess is possibly a bad relay in the ignition switch?

Curious if anyone else has had this problem.....if so how did you fix it, and how much did it run to have fixed.

Thanks
Justin

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Also, the car is an automatic....and i have tried the spare key

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ignition lock tumbler or switch might be going bad. Check for loose connections or grounds.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
A couple of ideas here.
- put your shifter in neutral and see if the starter turns over; you could have a shifter issue. There's a lockout feature that wont let you start unless in park or neutral.
- when it does not start, is your security light flashing?
- make sure both battery terminals on the harness are clean, and check the starter connections as well.
- if it always starts with the remote start, I'd suspect something in the remote start wiring, such as a poor splice. There's a yellow wire in the battery cable going toward the BEC; that's the starter solenoid wire. Make sure that's good and tight, too.
- otherwise, you could simply have a starter going bad (pm me if you need one).

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
texas b is onto something there. with your foot on the brake, slowly move the shifter through all the positions while holding the key to start and see if it will crank anywhere besides p and n. might be a shift cable adjustment or shift sensor.

kinda sounds like it in the remote starting setup

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back