Starter spinning but not engaging

DieHarder

Reaction score
Can you get it up on jacks and remove an inspection port so you can see the ring gear when the starter is turning? Only other thing I can think of is an electrical connection issue where the solenoid isn't getting power to extend the turning gear to engage the ring gear. You should be able to use some jumpers with the starter out of car to test the starter circuit and check if the solenoid is extending as it should. If it is extending, engaging and turning then only other possibility (however unlikely) is the ring gear has separated from the flywheel. Unlikely yes, but not unheard of.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Why not just see if the alternator belt is moving while cranking it?

I'm betting it's an intermittent no spark/no start condition. Could be no fuel, but that usually sputters or pops some.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I had someone crank it while I looked in the inspection port and the ring gear spins freely but nothing else. Then I turned the front pulley with a wrench and the flywheel spun

Laga

Reaction score

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen/heard of that. Looks like you have found the problem. There are videos on YouTube on how to heat and remove/replace ring gear. But with it turning like that, you might have to replace flywheel too.

Or weld it.
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before welding.

Laga

Reaction score
Or weld it.
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before welding.
Would that not depend on why the ring gear came loose in the first place? What if it’s cracked? How close to balanced would the final piece have to be?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Would that not depend on why the ring gear came loose in the first place? What if it’s cracked? How close to balanced would the final piece have to be?
Good point, I was assuming its press fit. It it was cracked, I would think it would have left the flywheel by now.
3 small welds, spaced 120* apart, and cleaned up w/grinder would not affect balance IMO.

Thats what I would do vs pulling the trans. And I have a welder. lol

Last edited:

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I have a welder and the ability to do that. But with the car having 150K on it I would rather use this as an excuse to pull the trans and install a new fly wheel and clutch

DieHarder

Reaction score

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
This has been an intermittent issue for the past 6 months. I can’t figure out why a friction fit ring gear would become loose then tight all the sudden. Anyways I am going to replace the whole clutch flywheel and through bearing assembly when I get the time. Thank you guys for all the help.

Paleface

Reaction score
This has been an intermittent issue for the past 6 months. I can’t figure out why a friction fit ring gear would become loose then tight all the sudden. Anyways I am going to replace the whole clutch flywheel and through bearing assembly when I get the time. Thank you guys for all the help.
Did you ever figure it out?? New starter or flywheel? Need help asap I’m having the same issue rn

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
The ring gear came off the flywheel. I went under and with the starter removed I spun the ring gear with a screw driver. New flywheel was my solution.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back