Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Review

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Well, I ordered my shifter at the beginning of last week and decided to get off my lazy duff and install it this morning.

It is a pretty straight forward install. I thought the instructions lacked a bit to a complete novice. I would have liked to see more accurate pictures on the instructions for people who have no clue what they are looking at.

I am thinking of doing a more thorough how-to for people who are scared to try the install on their own.

Anyway, on to the review. As I said prior the installation was pretty straight forward. I took about 45 minutes for me to do the complete install and that was taking lots of pictures on the way.

After I installed it I took out for a joy ride. The shifting was slightly more notchy when compared to stock. But that is to be expected. I had read some other guys did not care for the shifter that much while just cruising around. I beg to differ, the shifter was just as precise under normal driving conditions as spirited driving.

I noticed it was maybe 15% shorter throw than stock. But as I said before it is very precise. You would almost have to be an idiot to miss 3rd with this shifter.

Compared with other short throws I have used in the past MGW, Pro 5.0, B&M, Hurst, and so on. I thought this was somewhere in between my old Pro 5.0 and my MGW that I had on my Cobra. I thought the MGW was the nicest shifter I had ever purchased.

All in all though. For the money this is a very nice shifter. Easy to install, great billet construction. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 spark plugs.

Edit: Added pictures.
Shifter Before Install
DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

During Install
DSC00205.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

I will post specific pictures if anyone has any questions.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Only thing i wanna know is how to get the centerpiece off of the console. Does it say in the instructions or what?

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Only thing i wanna know is how to get the centerpiece off of the console. Does it say in the instructions or what?

It does say in the instructions. You lift the rear console door then, you use a small flat head screwdriver and pry up gently like you see in the picture below.

DSC00194.jpg

Once it is loose you just gently go around each side and lift up on the center console and the 6 tabs that hold it down will come loose.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
The price on these are very nice and im glad to hear such a good review. Very tempting

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Can you do me one favor?

Can you show me the connector your sync plugs into?

I have an open connector in my console and am wondering if that is the sync connector. I could find a wrecked mustang and add sync, LOL.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Now how am I supposed to take your install seriously when your first picture says you've got low tire pressure?

:nana1:

Seriously though, let me ask you something. Do you think a different shift knob would garner a shorter, more precise throw? 15% reduction in throws, I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on something that doesn't reduce it by 25% or so. I may end up waiting for more aftermarket options before deciding. But the stock shifter is one of the better sport shifters I've seen as OEM. So reducing the throw too much more might not be feasible.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Now how am I supposed to take your install seriously when your first picture says you've got low tire pressure?

Seriously though, let me ask you something. Do you think a different shift knob would garner a shorter, more precise throw? 15% reduction in throws, I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on something that doesn't reduce it by 25% or so. I may end up waiting for more aftermarket options before deciding. But the stock shifter is one of the better sport shifters I've seen as OEM. So reducing the throw too much more might not be feasible.

Agreed. Think I will wait and see what other vendors have to offer before I make a decision.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Can you do me one favor?

Can you show me the connector your sync plugs into?

I have an open connector in my console and am wondering if that is the sync connector. I could find a wrecked mustang and add sync, LOL.

That is not the sync. I also have that same grey open connector just laying around in my console. I am not sure what it goes to.

I had my bigs and littles on when I was doing the install. The tire pressure sensors hate those!

I do think a different knob would help. The Steeda shifter is very accurate but like I said the throw inst much shorter than the stock one. I thought the stock shifter on my 2011 was the best OEM shifter I have ever used.

I have always had the best luck with MGW. So when one comes out from them I will for sure give it a try.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Well, i just ordered mine today. Said it should be here in bama wednesday. So i'll let you guys know how it compares to the steeda triax i had in my 2002 GT and my MGW i had in my 2008 GT. :beerchug2:

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
Well, i just ordered mine today. Said it should be here in bama wednesday. So i'll let you guys know how it compares to the steeda triax i had in my 2002 GT and my MGW i had in my 2008 GT. :beerchug2:

I think overall you will like it, as I stated before. It was a nice improvement over stock.

Here is the tools you will need for the install:
Ratchet
8" Extension
10mm Deep Well Socket
10mm Standard Socket
Flat tip screw driver
Jack & Two Jack Stands ( or a lift )
Grease
And about an hour of your time.

The hardest damn part of the install is getting the rubber boot gasket back into place. Took me probably 10 minutes to get that back in and secure.

Reaction score
I think overall you will like it, as I stated before. It was a nice improvement over stock.

Here is the tools you will need for the install:
Ratchet
8" Extension
10mm Deep Well Socket
10mm Standard Socket
Flat tip screw driver
Jack & Two Jack Stands ( or a lift )
Grease
And about an hour of your time.

The hardest damn part of the install is getting the rubber boot gasket back into place. Took me probably 10 minutes to get that back in and secure.

I took off my top console and looked around yesterday. Why would i need to get under the car? I thought the shifter was accessible from the top like the old sn95 mustangs.

kyoshosp2

forum member
Reaction score
whats crazy is i got mine and the base is as small as an I phone lol.. the old ones were huge compaired to this..

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
how was setting the reverse Lockout? i herd it was tricky

I did not mess with any of the reverse lock out tensions. It was only a very slight difference pushing this shifter down compared to the stock one. Not enough for me to worry about it.

It was a little tricky making sure the shifter would go into all gears though. I ended up putting the new shifter in 1st gear then tightening it down to make sure it would still go into first.

If it goes into first gear it will go into the rest just fine.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
I took off my top console and looked around yesterday. Why would i need to get under the car? I thought the shifter was accessible from the top like the old sn95 mustangs.

Without dropping the rear shifter bushing you can not access the passenger side rear bolt. It is covered by the sheet metal. I almost took a sawzall to it. But I could not bring myself to do that my car just yet haha.

Here is a picture of the bolt.

Bolt.jpg

Reaction score
Got my shifter installed just now.

My impressions:

It wasnt that hard. Yea, you got to get underneath the car and loosen/take off that bushing. It wasnt bad.

As far as shifting, its far better than stock. Getting into reverse is tricky unlike the stock shifter. I don't think i got it installed wrong, but it seems as if you got to press a lot harder(which i know it is installed with a stiffer spring) and 90* angle put it into reverse. With the stocker you could kind of "cut corners" going into reverse. With this, you have to over exactly and up exactly.

As far as noise, its more than stock and a touch more than the MGW i had in my black car. No where near a steeda triax/Pro 5.0 in a sn95 or foxbody.

Back