Steering noises 2014 GT

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Steering noises 2014 GT turns out to be Camber plates

Drove to Costco to feed our biweekly addiction... Heard what I can only describe as a "Plastic to tire" sound. But then I thought to myself, "Ha, not possible, I must be scraping the darn tire stop". And frankly, I thought I was far enough back from the parking lot tire stopper that I should not be rubbing... Got out, looked... Mind you I just put it in park, did not back up... I am a good two inches away from the tire stop even being near any portion our GT. "Phew" I think to myself as my wife has that "DO I dare ask what he is doing" look on her face...

We go into Costco. Have the normal, "Well that budget was raped" conversation on the way to the GT.

Load up the car, go to back up, then start to steer and we hear what I can only describe as a tire rubbing the wheel well. Freaks us out... We play with the car in the parking lot, see nothing touching the tires... Get back in... 100% any steering causes a tapping in the brake peddle, the noise, and nothing in the steering is felt. If one did not have the windows down, low rpms, Not touch the brakes while steering and no radio going. It would be over looked.

So... What I think it might be is...
1. Steering box is about to quit. No leaks, everything looks like I just drove it off the lot. Parking spot in the garage is spotless... Realizing of course this car comes with electronic steering... I understand why I am not feeling the gear stripping or whatever is causing the what feels like a gear failing or a gear fighting debris in the steering wheel, but I can in the brake pedal.

2. Shocks or some suspension part has failed?

Ideas? Called my dealership. The nice lady I normally ask for had gone home for the day already... Awaiting her returned call tomorrow.

Last edited:

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting... No opinions? Well she is off to the dealership this morning. The dealership said they have not heard of this before, just like the transmission issue I had. Maybe using this car as a DD is pushing some of the parts limits...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I have no guesses, but there have been plenty of front suspension noises reported in Mustangs over the years. It'll be interesting to see what the shop has to say.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The suspensions on these cars is quite simple, really. It's probably either the steering rack (doubtful) or a bushing.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Interesting... No opinions? Well she is off to the dealership this morning. The dealership said they have not heard of this before, just like the transmission issue I had. Maybe using this car as a DD is pushing some of the parts limits...

I DD the shit out of mine... to the tune of 27k miles a year. No problems here, and I drive it like it's stolen.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you all for the feedback. I am just over 10k miles in seven months on this DD. LOVE this car. Looks like I just drove it home from the lot (Minus all the darn rock chips). At this pace I will be around 17k miles at the one year mark. Nothing like the 27k mentioned above by BEAST.

Have not heard back from the dealer as of yet. They said this issue I am describing is new to them, so I bet they are having to roll their sleeves up and dig in. There was ZERO noise this morning after sitting all weekend (While I clay'd/polished/waxed her again).

Maybe I should find me an extended warranty!

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Great news. This is all my doing. At the time I was doing the springs/PHB and rims I did not have enough in my budget to do Camber Plates. I did the trick of flipping the factory ones... The noise I was getting was the drivers side camber plate puking out a bearing...

Well. Here I am less than two months later getting to pay for dismount/mount, alignment and new camber plates. Might as well install new shocks/struts while I am at it...

Anyone with opinions on what to get? This Mustang lives a DD with a spirited life.

I was eyeball'n the Steeda Pros http://www.steeda.com/steeda-pro-action-mustang-shocks-struts-555-8405-11/ and the J&M plates... http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-caster-camber-plates-1114.html

That said I am wondering if I should get the Koni adjustables or not... http://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-adj-strut-1114.html

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Either Maximum Motorsports or Vorshlag's plates. Quite a few American Iron racers in my area run with the MM Plates in their Fox Body stangs. Vorshlag does sell the Bilstein kit with their plates as well.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Oh my.... Vorshlag has some great looking products. Those Bilsteins actually any good for our Mustangs or more of a paying for the name situation?

And from the sounds if it, it looks like I could go all in on those shocks, and use the GT500 camber plates and be good to go...

I have no issue dropping $1000 for shocks, I just do not want to do it, just to have the ones I should have purchased present themselves, or find I could have gotten another set for a lot less...

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yeah Steeda sports are about 1" front/1.25" in the rear.

The two most common combinations I see are Koni Yellow's with Eibach, FRPP K, or Steeda Ultralites, OR Vorshlag's Bilstein kit. If you aren't crazy for shock adjustments, then the Bilstein package is the way to go. It comes with springs, plates, and shocks already assembled. I don't think the GT500 mounts are required for it. If you want shock adjustments, then go with a Koni Yellow kit.

I'm sure Terry might chime in. Can also read his findings here: http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110608

Last edited:

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
My car may never see the track like a few of you do... But I did buy this GT to be what it is. A spirited driving machine. Our roads suck, and I am all over this state. Yet when I turn the car, I want it to hook up and demand more gas pedal...

Right at the moment I am debating on just getting the Steeda shocks and the Voshlag camber plates... My thinking is one the shocks spring a leak, I will have a much better idea as to what shocks I want, and have the CP already in place...

My challenge is working in my own budget constraints, while being smart about what this car actually does 95% of the time...

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
o'really! So I could go for the Bilstein shocks and the GT500 Strut Mounts and be good to go for a long time then? Keeping in mind I blew up the factory plates, have to pay for removal/install and alignment. I might as well put new shocks in while I am in it...

Last edited:
Back