Steps before tuning a 5.0

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
So I have a tune from VMP and a tune from Bama on an X3 with a JLT carbon fiber intake sitting in my room. My concerns are over tuning the car and possibly damaging #8. I have done my research on the problem and it seems to have stemmed from the base tune SCT sent out originally for the Coyote which has since been identified and fixed. Any input is appreciated on how I can best prepare my car to be tuned and have it run safely with no worries of popping the engine.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
You could pop the engine on the stock tune. Whatever tune you go with, be sure to run datalogs from time to time and send them to your tuner for monitoring.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
My car has been tuned for 20,000 miles, never an issue. And it's an early build 2011. If your tunes are recent writes, don't sweat it. If your Bama tune is from 2010/2011.....get an update first.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I've had mine tuned for about 50,000 miles with no issues other than when I had BAMA V1 tunes (ran like crap). Mine is a 12 though, and I've been on a dyno tune for about 15k-20k miles now.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive been tuned since i bought the car. Tune went on at 236 miles, now have 40k. Nothing special to do.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I bought my 11 in may 2010...it was tuned in may and I was running boost by September lol.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
^ must be a factory freak it should have popped by now. lol
Had my 14 tuned a week after buying it canned brenspeed tune ran great . Then we started putting the mods to it been boosted and data logged tuned by JPC with 0 issues and now we stepped it up a bit and it is dyne tuned by Jon Lund and feels the best yet.

Last edited:

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
Nice. That's wild you tuned it that quickly and had no issues. I posted a thread about my experience thus far. Even without data-logging this tune is feeling great from Bama.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2013. At 600 miles had JLT and tune done. Its been good since then. Just added the blower a few weeks ago.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back