Stock 2011 auto coyote's 1st outing today

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
i was pretty much a full bolt on na setup with boss manifold stock 3.15 gears and complete rear suspension minus shocks and totally stock front end minus front sway bar, and the 5c worked well. people would tell me "we don't recommend the 5c" when boosted, and I thought there were just being up tight , but after about 2-2200 miles of driving boosted with the 5c I am about ready to swab back to the stock converter and put the 5c on the shelf till I figure out if I am going to be able to build the motor this winter to crank it up to about 850 rwhp or not. So I only have to pay for 1 adjustment and when the motor is out of the car it is easier to swap the converter. I also have 3.55 gears now which help max the trap rpm. So with 650 to the tire and the 5c and 3.55 gears the converter is just looooose. almost annoying to drive normal on the street like a civilized person. don't get me wrong it is nice stomping the gas if you can keep from not leaving the road. ultimately at my elevation a 2 or 3 c would be the hot ticket- I will probably go 2c and pulley down and lower my shift points 400 rpm to hold motor together, if I don't scrape enough cash together this winter and have to rock the stock short block one more summer. I didn't take in account for your elevation which definitely knocks down the power.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
i was pretty much a full bolt on na setup with boss manifold stock 3.15 gears and complete rear suspension minus shocks and totally stock front end minus front sway bar, and the 5c worked well. people would tell me "we don't recommend the 5c" when boosted, and I thought there were just being up tight , but after about 2-2200 miles of driving boosted with the 5c I am about ready to swab back to the stock converter and put the 5c on the shelf till I figure out if I am going to be able to build the motor this winter to crank it up to about 850 rwhp or not. So I only have to pay for 1 adjustment and when the motor is out of the car it is easier to swap the converter. I also have 3.55 gears now which help max the trap rpm. So with 650 to the tire and the 5c and 3.55 gears the converter is just looooose. almost annoying to drive normal on the street like a civilized person. don't get me wrong it is nice stomping the gas if you can keep from not leaving the road. ultimately at my elevation a 2 or 3 c would be the hot ticket- I will probably go 2c and pulley down and lower my shift points 400 rpm to hold motor together, if I don't scrape enough cash together this winter and have to rock the stock short block one more summer. I didn't take in account for your elevation which definitely knocks down the power.

How are you liking the procharger? Most seem to either run a vortech, or go PD with a VMP / TVS.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I've done big stall converters in a variety of my own cars, Ford and otherwise. The key to picking the right converter for the track is getting it to flash to just shy of peak torque. Most of us have some mods that move our peak torque up to around 5,000 rpm's, so a converter that flashes to the high 4's will instantly put your engine in the powerband. The 5C is rated to flash to about 4,000-4,200 rpm's for a typical bolt-on 5.0L / 6R80, so add boost and it will actually flash higher up from the extra torque. My experience adding boost to a blown car results in about a 1,000 more rpm's of flash from the converter, so a 5C would likely be just over 5,000 rpm's with a centrifugal blower - and we all know that centrifugals love rpm's!!!

Skaarlaj, like me you've noted that you've done converters in the past and wished you had gone looser. I think the 5C won't be quite loose enough for your high altitude track, but once a centrifugal blower goes on, it's gonna be spot on, so your instincts are serving you well. I absolutely agree that the 4C wouldn't have been enough for your car.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
I like the procharger very well - kit is very complete and has a lot less cutting then the other brand of centri- standard 8 rib belt from the get- If I didn't already have the converter and the boss intake I may have gone pd- and if I wouldn't of already had 2500 in exhaust I probably would of went turbo, but when you do your mods already on your car then some times you have run with what you have- the d1 I have will push the car quicker than I want it to go and still cruise it - hell the car is going 10.00's with a non dialed in tune and hitting the rev limiter at 1000' feet cause the converter isn't staying locked. when I get it dialed in and cooler weather this fall I have no doubt I should see some higher 9.80's with some fall -da. - I have 7200+ in my blower but I bought the best inject, nice boosta pump, and the kit is all black - did the install myself with friends and it is pretty easy- I wish I would of upgraded to the big red bov, thou so it would dump the boost a lil fast.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back