Stock GT calipers/rotors for more wheel choices

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
It appears we are relegated to expensive aftermarket wheels due to the Brembo front calipers. In an effort to have a wider choice of wheels, has anyone switched to standard GT front rotors/calipers?

Mine's a daily driver, not an autocrosser. Aside from the couple hundred extra pounds of the Shelby, why wouldn't a standard GT rotor/caliper combo work on our cars? My '08 GT stopped on a dime, so I would assume that setup would work fine on my Shelby.

It sure would be nice to have a zillion different wheels to choose from, with every width and offset under the sun - not to mention most being cheaper than Alcoas, Shelbys, etc.

Thoughts?

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll trade you, I'll even pay for the shipping and throw in a spare set of brand new Hawk HPS pads.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not looking for trades. I need some technical input from fellow owners, but thanks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, you certainly could switch, no real difference in the other hardware AFAIK, so it's an easy job.

However, I would add, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of reasonably priced wheels that fit.

Why would you give up that added stopping power?

Plus, they look cool

S197/zx14

forum member
Reaction score
Could you give some examples stkjock I am in the same boat as Fullboogie all I have been seeing that clear the brembos is the high dollar wheels maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
David find some wheels you like and I'll hook you up real nice .

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
American Muscle has a few on their site.

I guess it also depends on what you call high dollar.

S197/zx14

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I have looked there and have been considering the AMR wheel in chrome would look nice with my white/blue color combo they just recently added them. I consider $600+ per wheel expensive have found a few forged wheels i liked that would fit they just dont fit my budget.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look at True Forges then, all of his wheels can be fitted to the Shelby and very customizable. They are also made in USA.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
^ i think he wanted cheap? according to his post....

any wheel company can make you wheels for big brakes just wont fit into your budget. check centerline, true forged, CCW for the lightweight, one of a kind forged wheel or go with the standard cast wheel like on every single other mustang with a big brake kit. shelby's arent the only ones with brembos....

you bought an expensive car with expensive brakes, deal with the expensive wheel prices for expensive brakes or hang with the rest of us in castville....

function over form over price.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
you bought an expensive car with expensive brakes, deal with the expensive wheel prices for expensive brakes or hang with the rest of us in castville....

Just because I bought an "expensive car" doesn't mean I have $2,500 to drop on wheels, plus who knows what for tires. Fact is, I bought a used '07 for less than the price of a new GT, so I'm on a budget.

What I've seen so far, aside from the prohibitively expensive True Forged, Shelby, etc., are a few wheels on AM. Only problem is that they are almost all 20's, which I don't like. I want 18's, specifically 18x9's in the front and 18x10's or 11's in the rear. AM doesn't appear to carry anything other than 18x9's, so that's not going to help. However, their website is not the model of clarity when it comes to fitment, so I may have to call them.

All that being said, I couldn't care less if the word "Brembo" is peeking through my front rims. If I have to switch to stock GT brakes to get affordable rims, I'm down with it. I was just looking for technical input from the board, not opinions on whether you like the idea or not.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Stkjock - Those are the ones I've seen on AM, and thanks. Only problem is that the black ones (which are nice) are the stock size, and I'm really looking to go wider than 9.5's on the back. For some reason, 285's on the stock rims just don't look as wide as 285's on the GT that I sold. Maybe it's the lack of offset on the stock rims (i.e. they are not "deep dish") that gives that illusion.

In any case, I appreciate the input. I'll keep investigating and let you know.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
Just because I bought an "expensive car" doesn't mean I have $2,500 to drop on wheels, plus who knows what for tires. Fact is, I bought a used '07 for less than the price of a new GT, so I'm on a budget.

What I've seen so far, aside from the prohibitively expensive True Forged, Shelby, etc., are a few wheels on AM. Only problem is that they are almost all 20's, which I don't like. I want 18's, specifically 18x9's in the front and 18x10's or 11's in the rear. AM doesn't appear to carry anything other than 18x9's, so that's not going to help. However, their website is not the model of clarity when it comes to fitment, so I may have to call them.

All that being said, I couldn't care less if the word "Brembo" is peeking through my front rims. If I have to switch to stock GT brakes to get affordable rims, I'm down with it. I was just looking for technical input from the board, not opinions on whether you like the idea or not.

so you cant save up and wait a little to get the "right" set of wheels? if you have a wheel/tire combo now that works, wait, and when the time is right(tires worn and need to be replaced)grab a wheel tire combo that is killer and not just slap on something that may look good in the first place but you may have second thoughts after the fact.

and along the lines of brembo, why even buy a GT500 if you dont care if "brembo" is peeking through the spokes? that is one of the unique parts that originally started at svt and crossed over to ford production run.

and just so im not dogging you too much, ill try to help a little :beer:
check out some of the more track oriented wheels from companies that dont go through major outfitters, some really nice wheels pop up from people like rota, enkei, voss which are more in the tuner crowd but look pretty good at home on a mustang. IIRC someone had a set of 18x10's on all 4's with brembos and i think the wheels came from volk? they were a greyish 8 spoke with a dish.

also maybe check out sam strano, he has a set of killer 18x9.5 or 18x10's that fit nicely for track style use that look great.

link: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?CategoryID=144&ModelID=5

not trying to be too much of an ass, its your car and your going to do what you want with it. good luck in the search and i hope you find a set of wheels that you enjoy.

one more that i recently found:
Vorshlag motorsports?

18x10 race wheels for $309 a pop and only 19#'s....reduced rotating weight, wider and better looking? WINNER!

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_268&products_id=505

Last edited by a moderator:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Kevin - to answer your first question about the Brembos, I'm not into the "prestige factor" of owning a Shelby. I found that type of attitude irritating when I owned a Vette years ago, and I don't subscribe to it. I bought the car as an alternative to going forged and blown on my '08 GT, so I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I do to it. In fact, I strive to go for the "sleeper" look on all my cars. Flash is not for me. As a result, I just might black out the "Brembo" on my calipers.

The rest of your post - right on, man. That's what I was looking for - some alternatives to what I've seen at the big websites. Thank you!

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
Did you look at some of the TSW's? I know when I inquired about the TSW Valencia (my personal choice) they had Brembo fitments.

You would be in the $200-$250 per wheel range if you went 18-19".

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The GT brakes may have stopped your GT on a dime, but it didn't have a big 5.4 with a blower hanging over the front. Something to consider before going to a smaller brake.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
If you do the swap save everything you pulled off of the shelby, not for prestige but if you go to sell the car and someone realizes you downgraded the brakes they are gonna figure you hacked up something else with the car and run for the hills.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back