Stock Half Shafts vs DSS 1400hp Halfshafts

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I am sure ford made it to stand up to stock power levels so they won't have any warranty issues.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
or just racing with nothing but slicks on.. how long will it last.. sad sad sad .. looks like I will have to wait for the next gen to come out 2020 =-/

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
I am sure ford made it to stand up to stock power levels so they won't have any warranty issues.

BINGO!! I bet the car will run on the track all day with tune only. But you start bolting on sticky's and it's game over. Oh well, gotta pay to play. $1600 is steep though!!

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yes. He helped build the 10.99 TVS car in the .99 cent video. Stock half shafts lasting only 4 passes is pretty common.
What are the Corvette & Camaro guys seeing? I pay little attention to drag racing (corner carving is more my thing), but I seem to recall reading about them having issues with halfshafts. I wouldn't beat Ford up too bad on this if they are on par with the rest of the industry. Still sucks for the drag guys though.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score

REDS197

Reaction score
I had a budget put together for this build. The axles definitely screwed it up. If you put a sticky tire on, axles are mandatory.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
dxiopj.png

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Here are the FRPP / G-Force 1500HP axles I installed, for comparison.

Speed Junky

Reaction score
Those FRPP half shafts are a work of art! I'm interested in how far you guys push them!

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
2n99nvo.png

Why do they do this skinny shit on the shafts? looks like they made them bitches skinny on purpose.
That is what I would do if I wanted those shafts to snap right there.
Failure engineering to sell shafts or something to do with safety and wanting them to snap in a controllable way?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
2n99nvo.png

Why do they do this skinny shit on the shafts? looks like they made them bitches skinny on purpose.
That is what I would do if I wanted those shafts to snap right there.
Failure engineering to sell shafts or something to do with safety and wanting them to snap in a controllable way?
It's likely a stress relief or a planned failure point.

For instance, drill pipe is designed to fail in such a way that the same component always breaks. That way when you have to fish the rest of the string out of the hole, it's easy.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea that's what I am thinking, so the ford racing shafts must come with some kind of safety disclaimer?

REDS197

Reaction score
I have been reading as much as possible. My understanding is the axles twist at a different rate based on the size of the shaft. This helps with wheel hop when launching. Left and right shafts are different sizes. I believe the pieces circled are solid and the middle is hollow. JUST A GUESS!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It is "anti wheel hop technology"

Unfortunately, they spent the time, money and effort on that, but not "anti breakage technology"....

It kinda sucks that you have to spend $2000 on halfshafts if you wanna run your car on a sticky tire.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I wonder if Ford will upgrade the half shafts for future models. It would suck to drop $35-40K on a new mustang and then have to fork over another $2K for axles.

I know that's probably wishful thinking.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back