Storing a car for ~4 months...to periodically start or not.

a-train

Reaction score
I store my 06 Mustang GT approximately 4 months a year during the winter months. My one friend says I should periodically start the car and let it run for 10 to 15 minutes. He says that not running it is bad for the exhaust - as there is moisture in it. Also says that with the crank sitting in the same position for so long - it is bad for the bearings.

I'd like to get other people's opinion and reasons behind them.

Thanks!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4 months is nothing if its indoors. Just hook up a battery tender or disconnect the battery and call it a day.

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
If indoor in climate control, I follow these rules. Storage mats for the tires and overinflate to prevent flat spots, stabil in a FULL tank of fresh 93, tender on the battery, and forget about it. 4 months is nothing...

If outside, or if in a non climate controlled garage, different set of rules...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For 4 months of so, find a local gas station with no ethonal gas and fill it to the brim.

Unhook the battery and you're good to go.

Flat spots & radials.... once the tires are warm the "flat spots" are gone. Ahh the beauty of the radial tire. Don't worry about the tires.

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
You should have said that to the tires on my 04 malibu that sat for a little over 6 months. Better to be safe than sorry considering it actually happened to me just a couple years ago. Radial tires sure can flat spot.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have never had issues with radial tires either on any of my cars, and have had them sit quite a few deployments. etc. I wouldn't even start to worry about the tires for sitting a year or less, let alone 4 months. No worries.

a-train

Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far. It is not a climate controled garage - what adjustments should I make then?

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Mine's been stored for almost 6 months now lol. I just disconnected the battery and hooked it up to a trickle charger, placed the car on jack stands, and put a car cover. I do it every year. I'm about to take her out of hibernation, starting to get some nice weather around here.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Filled the tank, dropped a bottle of sea foam in, disconnected the battery and ran a trickle charger on it once in awhile, covered. RH in the shed has been around 30% all winter. Winter air here is bone dry.

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
If its in a non climate controlled garage that will have temperature swings and the resulting moisture, I would crack your windows a little (1-2") and put some dry charcoal bricks in it.

a-train

Reaction score
The car is covered - I live in Pittsburgh...so temps swing from 0 to upper 30s, maybe mid 40s every once in awhile. I do put fuel stabilizer in her. Pump up the tires to about 36 psi.

Never had a battery tender - and never have a had a problem. Have owned the car since new.

Outside of the battery tender - looks like I am doing everything everyone else is doing. Thanks!!!!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
One question!!!

Why does everyone say to disconnect the battery?
I have a tender on mine, but leave the battery connected. Is there something wrong with that?

I don't want to lose my radio presents and background graphics. LOL

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
One question!!!

Why does everyone say to disconnect the battery?
I have a tender on mine, but leave the battery connected. Is there something wrong with that?

I don't want to lose my radio presents and background graphics. LOL

Thats fine. Usually its disconnect the battery if you DONT have a tender.

I've had mine on a tender for the past 5 years, no problems. Toss in some dryer sheets and inflate tires to 45ish. Always good to go.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Thats fine. Usually its disconnect the battery if you DONT have a tender.

I've had mine on a tender for the past 5 years, no problems. Toss in some dryer sheets and inflate tires to 45ish. Always good to go.

What are the dryer sheets for? Is that for the interior so it smells nice and fresh?

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Mine was sitting for the last few months (in Pittsburgh as well). Fired it up over the weekend with no issues.

Sat outdoors with a cover and full tank of gas.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back