stroker motor questions

MYLILSS

Reaction score
i have an 06 gt with a 5.0 stroker motor in it that has stock compression. the motor already has lockouts and stock cams. I am wanting to build a good running N/A set up, and was curious if it would be worth upgrading cams to something more aggressive or not ? I have read that retarding the stock cams one tooth helps them make better power than straight up, but I am not sure if that or aftermarket cams would be the way to go. also in terms of manifolds, would the stock manifold with cmrc deletes be good, or should I go ahead and get the FRPP intake ? thanks for any help yall can give me.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should not be running locked cams with your setup. You are giving up quite a bit of low and midrange doing that. Whatever shop did that should be shot.

FRPP intake will help top end, but soften up the bottom end quite a bit.

The dyno below is bone stock compared to stroked, FRPP intake throttle body and hotrod cams.

IMG_zpsa408a7a2.jpg

MYLILSS

Reaction score
the car originally had a set of the comp 127600's in it which is why the locks were originally installed. they were just never removed when the cams were swapped back to the originals. it is one of the reasons I am contemplating going with a different set of cams, just not sure what I want to do yet.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the car originally had a set of the comp 127600's in it which is why the locks were originally installed. they were just never removed when the cams were swapped back to the originals. it is one of the reasons I am contemplating going with a different set of cams, just not sure what I want to do yet.

Putting VCT back in will really wake up the bottom end.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Stock springs still in the heads, or the 127600 ones?

MYLILSS

Reaction score
the springs aren't stock, they were also upgraded when the 127600 cams were put in.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Stock cams retard 9 degrees at wot in the stock tune. The stock cam icl is at 109 atdc.

I don't claim to be an expert on 3v cams and profiles but I can tell you that more aggressive cams usually have and icl of around 102 and locked out cams are usually setup with with a few degrees of retard putting the icl around 106 or so.

If I was in your shoes I'd go for a more aggressive cam profile that will work with stock heads. Your longer stroke is going to require more valve duration in order to get more air in during the longer stroke. The goal is to get as much air into the cylinder as possible. Something like 127500 installed with an icl of 106 should get more air into and out of the cylinder than the stock cams will. The longer duration is going to help your stroker be able to suck air in for more of the intake valve events and stroke.

My own experiences with na is that big gains aren't going to happen unless you increase the bore enough to unshroud the valves. I've also come to believe that a na motor is better off with the cmcv intact. It really helps with combustion efficiency and I don't think the motor is going to use more air than can be supplied even with the cmcv in place. Use the money you would spend on a FRPP intake for cams.

FWIW I've had a few different setups over the years. I've owned three FRPP intake manifolds and done extensive testing with them. IMO the only time it helped was when I went to a 322 cubic inch 3v motor. Even then the loss of low end motivated me to return to a stock intake manifold because my motor is mostly used on the street. The more driveable the car is the more fun it is for me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back