Strut tower brace 2011-2012 mustang GT w/2.3l whipple blower?

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know what strut brace will clear it? Been doing research for a while and can't find one. Anyone here is using one or might know which may clear for sure?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Whiteline one is adjustable up and down using eccentric bolts. It's way too expensive, though.

BMR makes one that will fit, I believe. Look for one that is made for a GT500/BOSS.

GT E UPP

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know what strut brace will clear it? Been doing research for a while and can't find one. Anyone here is using one or might know which may clear for sure?

Thanks

Well David, there's some Good news and some Bad news here....
Steeda makes a Billet Strut Tower Brace for the '05 -'14 that clears the Whipple SC (Part # 555-5726 whp,- $259.99). Unfortunately, it's not compatible with stock hood clearance.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda makes a Billet Strut Tower Brace for the '05 -'14 that clears the Whipple SC (Part # 555-5726 whp,- $259.99). Unfortunately, it's not compatible with stock hood clearance.

This is good news. The hood should be no issue. I am going to have a 3" cowl put on in next week

wabirch

Bill
Reaction score
I'd love to see some underhood pics of the clearance that remains when the hood is closed.

travelers

Reaction score
The Boss 302 one might? I know people can fit the Boss 302 one over the Cobra Jet intake, and may have to use spacers, depending on the car.

EDIT: A guy in the linked forum had used a Ford Racing one with a 2.3 - http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t343954/

No the Boss doesn't fit. I have a brand new one sitting on my living room floor that I'll be selling.

The Whiteline one is adjustable up and down using eccentric bolts. It's way too expensive, though.

BMR makes one that will fit, I believe. Look for one that is made for a GT500/BOSS.
I also spoke with Kelly from BMR and his doesn't fit either. Although the Roush one is suppose too.

travelers

Reaction score

I wonder if it fits the '11 and up. I'll have to check.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Nonsense. steedsa makes TWO STB's that will easily fit with the 10-14 cars. The 10-14 cars have the power dome hood. The 05-09 cars are the problem.

The Boss 302 STB won't fit either. It won't clear any M90 blower..on any 05-10 car. The boss 302 STB originally came out in 2010..and was designed for the 2010 in NA format. It was used the following year in 2011...to clear the 3.7 L V6 eng. The V6 sits a lot higher than the 5.0L coyote eng. It was used again in 2012+ 2013 on the boss cars. They now call it the boss stb.... but it originated in 2010.

The boss stb does fit any 05-10 car..in NA format. I didn't like it anyway.... it uses slotted holes..and only grabs the inner pair of studs on each shock tower.

The steeda STB's are the real deal. The fellows with the Roush 11-14 cars tried BOTH blower versions of the steeda STB..and they indeed not only clear the TVS-2300 blower, they also clear the hood. If u go that route, I would add the steeda front strut mounts..which allow for +/- 1 deg of camber.

The steeda STB uses all 4 x studs on each shock tower..and are a tight fit. The bar itself is adjustable in length, so not an issue, and no slots used. Stronger, since it uses all 4 x studs on each side. The stb is RVS threaded on on end, so adjusting it's overall length is a snap. It also uses transverse bolts on each end, so one end can be swung up, or the other end, or the entire stb removed if required. I had to lift my drivers side of the stb..to install the bigger TB.

The folks on the roush forum installed a GO-pro camera and also a trbl light in the engine bay..then closed the hood. Hood easily clears the steeda STB. Once i mentioned that to steeda, they were flying off the shelves. No cowl hood required. But this only works on 10+ cars.
The steeda also clears the TVS-2300 used on the 2010 car..hod closes just fine.

Last edited:

GT E UPP

forum member
Reaction score
My Bad ... Geez, sometimes I need to lean how to read. Missed part of his title (2011-2012) and thought he had a S197.
Yep, Good info here Pentalab... the Steeda STB will certainly fit his year with the Power Dome Hood ..no Cowl hood required. Good call !

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What else helps..ins some cases is the use of steeda eng mounts. When I installed the new JBA LT's and mating jba catted H, jba said to use new eng mounts, like the steeda version. But just about all versions are similar, in that they will allow for either stock eng height, or a 1/4" - 1/2" - 3/4" eng drop. We used the 1/4" drop option. It wasn't required in my case. The only thing it bought us was slightly more clearance where the steeda stb goes over the flexible cai.

The steeda stb I used was the one with the double offset at each end. IE: it slopes up a bit, then slopes up some more. It just barely touched the cai tube on driver's side. By dropping the eng 1/4"... there is loads of room now. Even without the 1/4" drop, the stb clears the blower just fine. And power dome hood easily clears the stb.

No more than 1/4" drop could be used. The last tube on the LT assy is sitting right above the steering shaft. The 1/2" drop option might mean the lt tube is either a hair above the steering shaft or touching it.

The oem eng mounts are ford hydra mounts..... which I think are gel filled. With the new steeda eng mounts, the eng is more rigid, doesn't budge.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
What else helps..ins some cases is the use of steeda eng mounts. When I installed the new JBA LT's and mating jba catted H, jba said to use new eng mounts, like the steeda version. But just about all versions are similar, in that they will allow for either stock eng height, or a 1/4" - 1/2" - 3/4" eng drop. We used the 1/4" drop option. It wasn't required in my case. The only thing it bought us was slightly more clearance where the steeda stb goes over the flexible cai.

The steeda stb I used was the one with the double offset at each end. IE: it slopes up a bit, then slopes up some more. It just barely touched the cai tube on driver's side. By dropping the eng 1/4"... there is loads of room now. Even without the 1/4" drop, the stb clears the blower just fine. And power dome hood easily clears the stb.

No more than 1/4" drop could be used. The last tube on the LT assy is sitting right above the steering shaft. The 1/2" drop option might mean the lt tube is either a hair above the steering shaft or touching it.

The oem eng mounts are ford hydra mounts..... which I think are gel filled. With the new steeda eng mounts, the eng is more rigid, doesn't budge.

Thanks man, i'm look into it. I am still doing a little research and hope to find one that fits.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Like I said Above the Gt500 brace works
Here is a 2013 with a whipple and a Factory 07-09 gt500 strut brace.. His Name on here is Gabe.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a photo from one of our great partners CJ Pony Parts:

stb48_1.jpg

Shoot me an email to [email protected] if I can help provide additional support or ordering information - looks like this is the unit you are looking at, no?

Best Regards,

TJ

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back