Subframe Connectors Needed? 11+

McClane

forum member
Reaction score
I've read some posts on the 3v s197s not needing subframe connectors but haven't come across any on the 5.0s. Is it still ok to run slicks at the track without subframes with the extra power of the 5.0? I am at 420 rwhp. I was going to take it to the track this weekend but don't want to twist it up on slicks if I need subframes first.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've not heard of anyone installing subframe connectors on a 5.0, or even needing to. Plenty of folks running 600+HP on slicks without them.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
You will be fine without the SFC's.

The S197 chassis is much more rigid than the prior platforms (Fox/SN95/New Edge)

SFC's on an S197 do offer an improvement, as for structural integrity. At what point they are needed, tends to be the common question.

We supply quite a few sets of SFC's to various companies and individuals who swear by them, and have tested the benefits..

Our 2011 GT features our subframe connectors, and I know that Shelby America installs SFC's on most cars that they build in house. I am also pretty sure the new GT1000 Shelby utilizes SFC's.

McClane

forum member
Reaction score
That's good news. Got some cars coming to our local Mustang forum track rental this weekend that have called me out to race.

JGrein05

Regular
Reaction score
I have the boxed BMR subframe connectors on my 2011. I put them on for pice of mind. I like them.

artisto

Reaction score
I also have BMR SFCs and while the difference isn't huge, there is a difference. Things just feel more solid.

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Hotchkis subframe connectors on mine. Probably not needed but makes for a great jacking point.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You will be fine without the SFC's.

The S197 chassis is much more rigid than the prior platforms (Fox/SN95/New Edge)

Truth. This is a picture of one jack stand on one side of the car lifting both wheels off the ground. I don't have subframe connectors.

Attachments

• DSC01872.jpg
    DSC01872.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 179

Skunk

Reaction score
I made my own. Nice little addition for less than $50 in material. Same with my x-brace, strut tower bar, and blower bracket. I think between all 4 things I may have $150 in material. Now that's bang for your buck.

LockNLoad

Reaction score
I made my own. Nice little addition for less than $50 in material. Same with my x-brace, strut tower bar, and blower bracket. I think between all 4 things I may have $150 in material. Now that's bang for your buck.

Any pictures???

Skunk

Reaction score
I only have a few. The sub frames are kind of hard to get pics of. Car is on FRPP K-Springs but here's everything I've got:

Custom Gauge Pod:
IMG_1276.jpg

Blower:
IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

High Mounted FMIC:
IMG_1252.jpg

Strut Tower Brace:
IMG_1281.jpg

X-Brace:
IMG_1282.jpg

Sub-Frame Connector:
IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Again, I apologize for the lack of overall view of the sub frames. There is also a mid body connection point, but the car is just too low to get quality pics. Good thing I looked, I've got to paint those welds. Must have ran out of paint when I was doing them back in December and just forgot about it.

a1j7g

Reaction score
I installed the full hotchkis kit includes SFC and it is night and day difference on the street and track

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I installed the full hotchkis kit includes SFC and it is night and day difference on the street and track

Glorious. Did this "kit" include things other than the subframe connectors?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

busarich

forum member
Reaction score
I am getting my bmr sfc, relocation brackets, and exhaust welded up tomorrow.

DGRacing

Reaction score
Even though many people say you don't need SFC's you have to look at the bigger picture.
People who only street drive, or drag probably don't need them.

But people like me, who race, feel how the frame and "unibody" twists and torques around a track. This twisting causes shifting issues with the stock semi-remote shifter because of its body mounted bracket. When the body twists (and it does) it throws the shifter out of alignment with the transmission enough to cause lockout or mis-shifts at high speeds, especially during cornering.

So if you are doing road race or autocross SFC's are a must, despite what you might hear otherwise. The S197 is not that stiff compare to race-bred cars, but compared to old Fox's it is stiffer....still not great though.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Your shifting issues is the engine transmission moving not the chassis.

If you're on a road race track you need a full cage not sub frame connectors.

DGRacing

Reaction score
Your shifting issues is the engine transmission moving not the chassis.

If you're on a road race track you need a full cage not sub frame connectors.

Of course. I have a half-cage. The point is that SFC's will help reduce torque deflection on the chassis. It's kind of obvious.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Even though many people say you don't need SFC's you have to look at the bigger picture.
People who only street drive, or drag probably don't need them.

But people like me, who race, feel how the frame and "unibody" twists and torques around a track. This twisting causes shifting issues with the stock semi-remote shifter because of its body mounted bracket. When the body twists (and it does) it throws the shifter out of alignment with the transmission enough to cause lockout or mis-shifts at high speeds, especially during cornering.

So if you are doing road race or autocross SFC's are a must, despite what you might hear otherwise. The S197 is not that stiff compare to race-bred cars, but compared to old Fox's it is stiffer....still not great though.

Really? Because the S197 chassis is stiffer than quite a few other cars out there, including the McLaren F1. So your comment that the S197 is "still not great" is complete bullshit.

I autocross and race the shit out of my car and don't have subframe connectors.

EDIT: Here's the list:
http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/the-list-torsional-rigidity.12334/

S197 is 21,000 Nm
Mclaren F1 is 13,500.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back