Sudpension or wheels/tires--which first assuming close in cost?

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
My car is STOCK save for BOrla Atak AB and im thinking of major mods. I lean more towards the handling game but hate the stock wheels.

Im leaning more towards suspension first and hitting a track day and autocross. For the track id have to uograde brakes too as my xar isnt a Brembo car.

As for wheels im locked into a square setup with 18x10 drifts.

Opinions? Goid plan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Rims are for looks mostly. Of course some are for function like track specific or drag specific. However, Suspension is all about the ride and drive ability.

Now I knew I was doing both. And did both in the same week. However, if I had only one choice, it would be suspension hands down. I do not care what others think of the "Look" of my car. I do care how it handles and makes me feel when driving it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
You'll pull more weight out of the driveline with a lightweight set of wheels vs. say a driveshaft.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I would do wheels and tires first and then learn your car before you go adding all sorts of suspension bits to it.

What tires you have on your car can make one of the biggest impacts on how the car reacts, handles and feels. I would not skimp out on your tires at all, with 18x10's I think one of the better tires you can get without going to road racing/autocross tries would probably be the MPSS 285/35/18. The secondary benefits would be the weight loss from going to lighter wheels with less rotating mass. Either way by changing your tire setup you are going to have to figure out if your car will be pushing or if you will induce oversteer in your suspension so I would go with wheels and tires and then dial in your suspension and figure out what you need and what you don't need as you progress.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Tires make the single biggest difference in a car's performance. Now, if you've already got decent tires and the question is about wheels, then my answer probably changes, but going from all season crap to a proper performance tire, even in OE sizes, will be the biggest bite of the pie that you'll ever get.

Why don't you give some specifics on current equipment as well as budget. Might get better answers.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Tires make the single biggest difference in a car's performance. Now, if you've already got decent tires and the question is about wheels, then my answer probably changes, but going from all season crap to a proper performance tire, even in OE sizes, will be the biggest bite of the pie that you'll ever get.

Why don't you give some specifics on current equipment as well as budget. Might get better answers.

Yup.

Speaking of... you never responded to my PM on teh sandbox. Am I not worthy any more? :(

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Car is rolling on stock 18's with stock Pirelli pzeros.

Budget is a concern but sunce im just kicking crap around I dont have a dollar amount set aside. I know I want drifts as they look good and have the right offset and arent too heavy.
Whichever way I go it wont be until later this year. I may do an sutoctoss just to have fun this year.

Ive had a fox in the past with a decent setup (bilsteins, mm springs and cc plates, cobra brakes rear disks, etc)and kumho tires (forget what model but it was a decent uhp tire) but new to s197.

In making this topic I guess I was thinking between 1500 for wheels and tires or same amount in suspension.

3equqa3a.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I constantly see posts about what can one do to make their car handle better and every time the first thing that pops in my head is TIRES! Of course suspension components are important but tires are the most important part of the package. If for example I pick the wrong compound tires (all race tires to choose from) it can be the difference between an easy win and a “I almost crashed every corner” 3rd.

I just read an article in Grass Roots Motorsports (which you should be reading if you want to go around corners) and they had a great suspension/tire test on a Mazda MX-5. I know, it’s not a Mustang but the basics still apply.

In short here are the conclusions. And these times are with professional drivers:

OEM tires, 205/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Aftermarket tires, 225/45-17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (and wider wheels).

1st Test:
Tires

OEM tires, 205/45R17 BridgestonePotenza RE050A)
Aftermarket tires, 225/45-17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (and wider wheels).

OEM Suspension, tires, wheels.
Best lap: 58.07sec
Lateral G’s: 1.066g

OEM Suspension, Dunlop Direzza tires (not a race tire), 17x9 wheels
Best lap: 55.28sec
Lateral G’s: 1.191g

Pretty straight forward conclusion here. Better/more focused tires are a huge improvement, 5% to be exact. To put that in perspective if you had a bolt-on on a 300rwhp car that offered a 5% improvement it would be 15hp. Any bolt-on worth 15hp would be snapped up by everyone and their brother. Shorty headers, TB’s, X or H pipes and axle backs can only dream of making 15hp. And keep in mind, the tires limits were not reached during this test, the stock suspensions limits were.

Conclusion: 5% improvement

2nd Test:
Coilovers

K&W Variant 3 Coilovers

K&W Coilovers, OEM tires, wheels.
Best lap: 57.52sec
Lateral G’s: 1.086g

K&W Coilovers, Dunlop Direzza tires, 17x9 wheels.
Best lap: 54.10sec
Lateral G’s: 1.226g

Another straight forward conclusion here. With the stock tires the coilovers only improved the lap time .55sec. A WHOPPING 1% increase in performance. It is more than clear that high dollar suspension components are rendered about useless unless they have good tires to work with. Would you spend $2000 on coilovers and run them with OEM type tires for a 1% increase? Me thinks not. Another piece of data of note is that the car did a faster lap with a stock suspension and the good tires than the stock tires and coilovers. 2.24sec faster in fact!

3rd Test:
Swaybars

The swaybar test was done with the good tires and the coilovers on the entire time so you will not see any huge gains like were seen when the OEM and Dunlop tires were compared.

OEM Swaybars 21mm front, 12mm rear

Hotchkis Sport Swaybars 27mm-3 way adjustable, 21mm rear-3way adjustable.

K&W Coilovers, Dunlop Direzza tires, 17x9 wheels, OEM swaybars.
Best lap: 54.10sec
Lateral G’s: 1.226g

K&W Coilovers, Dunlop Direzza tires, 17x9 wheels, Hotchkis Sport swaybars set stiff front/soft rear.
Best lap: 53.48sec
Lateral G’s: 1.200g

As expected there was an improvement with the aftermarket swaybars. But it was only .62sec (1.2%) and this was with tires that could take advantage of them.

Conclusion(s):
There are lost of conclusions that can be drawn (and most likely debated) from this test.

-What sticks out to me more than anything is that tires are the most important part of a suspension combination. Bottom line, tires, tires, tires. The Dunlop’s out performed the OEM tire/Coilover combination by 2.24sec (4%!). That is a MASSIVE difference.

-The idea that swaybars help the car “handle” better has FAR more to do with what the driver is feeling through the car opposed to it actually going faster (handling better if you will). I constantly see posts about how someone’s new swaybars were a huge improvement because the car doesn’t roll as much anymore. But this test does a pretty good job of proving that they feel faster but when the stopwatch is put on them they are not much of an improvement at all. Body roll (as long as it’s not out of control) is clearly not a “bad” thing. That being said if you were to run swaybars and not upgrade the stock springs/dampers they would be a bit more effective (percentage wise) because they would add to the wheel rate which would not be getting done with higher rate springs. But swaybars are not supposed to be a Band-Aid for spring rates that are too low. I would love to have seen a test with the OEM tires, OEM springs/dampers and Hotchkis bars. I would bet money the improvement would be almost zero.

-Note that the fastest lap time did not show the highest G’s.

-The Dunlop’s out performed the OEM tires (which are not bad) by 2.79sec (5%).

-The coilovers out performed the stock springs/dampers with the stock tires by .55sec (1%)

-The coilovers out performed the stock springs/dampers with the Dunlop tires by 1.18sec (2.2%)

-The Hotchkis Sport swaybars out performed the OEM swaybars by .62sec (1.2%)

I found the article very interesting from a technical standpoint and I thought that for those of you that are not flush with suspension data (opposed to “mine feels better” crap) that it could shed some light on what works, what doesn’t, how much it works, what works best, etc.

That being said suspension can not be broken down into just one test like this. There are no “rules” in here (aside from good tires being unquestionably the most important component in the system) but there is a lot of good data to draw from when making buying decisions. Here is a short list of what I think the order of importance is when modding a suspension. This list applies to most situations, not all. Suspension is not that easy.

-Geometry:
This is the angles and pick up points of the suspension. Some can be improved fairly easily (caster/camber plates), some are a huge operation (double A arm front suspension). Under the classification are things like control arms and bushings. If they are flexing under load the geometry is changing. Geometry is unquestionably the foundation of a suspension.

-Springs:
Springs “are” your suspension. They determine where your geometry is based on load. If they are way too stiff the suspension will not move and go through the geometry changes that it needs to do things like transfer weight. If they are too soft they will move too far for a given load which will put the geometry where you don’t want it and also possibly bottom out. Spring selection is paramount. During race weekends I am constantly swapping out springs to “tune” the suspension. Because springs determine where the suspension geometry is for a given load they can be considered “soft geometry”. So their importance is obvious.

-Dampers (shocks/struts):
First and foremost the dampers job is to control the springs. After that their rates need to be set up to control the un-sprung weight (wheels/brakes/etc). And if it is a high downforce car there are all sorts of tricky valving things that can be done that will allow for them to operate normally but “blow off” when encountering large bumps which create high shaft speeds.

-Swaybars:
The job of swaybars is greatly misunderstood. But that is because they can be used in a lot of different ways. I could write pages on all the different ways to balance springs and swaybars together but because most of you reading this are not going to be at the track trying to shave tenths I’ll keep it basic. Swaybars are there to do two main things. One is to reduce body roll. A swaybar allows you to reduce body roll without having to run heavy springs. But swaybars are not a replacement for good spring rates. The second job of swaybars (adjustable ones) is to allow for adjustment of the chassis balance. With swaybars the car can be tuned to understeer (plow the front), run neutral (all four tires pushing the same) or oversteer (tail out). In my opinion spring rates should be picked first and then swaybars. If I had a choice I would run higher rate springs and lower rate swaybars and use the swaybars mostly to tune the cars balance.

And last but not least, the driver. Off the showroom floor these cars are better than 99% of the drivers out there. That is a fact. The best investment that 99% can make in their suspension is to attend a driving school or two. Obviously I spend most of my time at the track on bikes but on occasion when there are two tracks on the property there will be cars on one and bikes on the other (Autobahn, VIR, NJMP, Vegas, etc). I can’t tell you how many times I have seen cars like Neon’s, GTI’s Civic’s, old school BMW 3 series, etc running circles around full blown race cars, Vipers, Porsches, Ferrari’s, etc. It’s obvious what the difference is…..the driver.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Look, I'm a suspension guy. That's what I do! But tires are critical. CRITICAL. And you NEED wider wheels to go with the proper size tires... Of course, I recommend both tire AND suspension upgrades, but a case could be made for doing the tires first.

97camastang06

forum member
Reaction score
IMO look at your local Craigslist adds. I've traded ppl my stockers for fr500s. There selling or trading the car in so..

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
The mpss tires are pretty good it seems. Great write up on the tire tech.

The drift wheels with the mpss tires may be pretty awesome.

Absokute next mid will be a tuner a tune and a shifter bracket. Then it looks like wheels and some good tires. Maybe I can do that before the season is over. Id love to hit Mid Ohio as it is local to me.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
So it looks like drifts and some good tires. Now which ones.

Car usnt a daily driver so no need to get the kongest lasting tires. Would everyone still suggest the pilot super sports? I had the Kumho Mx's on my fix but they look a lot more exoensive than the mpss.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
Getting back to your original question.... which should you do first...

I would buy a second set of track wheels / tires, without question!!

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like order should be
Tires (w or w/o wheels)
Suspension
Brake upgrade to brembo 4 piston
Power.

I will be getting a tune soon so that part will be first.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like order should be
Tires (w or w/o wheels)
Suspension
Brake upgrade to brembo 4 piston
Power.

I will be getting a tune soon so that part will be first.

Yep basically. Wheels are not necessary, but I think good idea to get the extra width. Could save you in a year when you wish you did wheels then end up buying another set of tires

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tires.

Everything your car does--everything--is through those 4 little rectangular contact patches.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back