Supercharge my 06, trade in for a used newer v8, or find a used 08,09 shelby??

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Okay so I've got about 6,000$ to play with. Only owe about 5k left on the car, online trade value says around 5.5k.
06 GT with 125,000 miles. Engine is stock except for a ford racing CAI/bama tune. Has a ford racing axleback exhaust and ford racing control arms, aftermarket stereo and some other minor stuff.

Option 1: Pay off car, be responsible and no more car payment (boring)
Option 2: Slap supercharger on engine, hope it doesn't explode due to high milage.
Option 3: Trade car in for something newer, double my 260$ a month car payment lol rip.

So I'm like.. I can afford a higher car payment finally in my life so its opening up some options. Anyone have to make this same decision before?

The used shelby is getting pretty expensive, I'd like to be under 30k but maybe I could squeeze it.. damn it would be amazing to own a shelby!!!

THOUGHTS? \Ahhh

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
There's no good/right answer.

I really like the Hot Rod Garage project car. They bought a used GT, put a full suspension on it, sticky tires, loud exhaust, and it seems like an awesome machine. I'd look into doing this. A custom tune would be even better.

If you are in a warm climate, how about a non intercooled vortech, used? Fool around with meth, get a dyno tune, shift at 6000 and you'd probably do another 100,000 miles.

Shelby's continue to get cheaper, especially the earlier cars. You can get one under 30 if you wait/look.

Most important thing is to be patient. I buy a lot of stuff used. Still spend too much!

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Trade that boat anchor for a low mileage 2011-14 GT.:chewie:

haha. but ugh I don't exactly love the body style of those years! I love the style of mine and the new 2015's lol FML. The side profile is sexy but from the front. ugh.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but unless you want to be a tinker/tuner/builder guy.... and unless this is a second car and not your DD.... sell the 06 outright and buy a 12 - 13 used Coyote to lower your payment.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I keep forgetting... DOB is doing a production run on their 3V manifolds, IIRC. If you don't know how that works, you should look into it. Economical, scaleable solution for the 4.6. You can start with the cheapest stock blower from the GT500 and go on up to aftermarket stuff, breaking through the 600 rwhp barrier with ease.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Right before my '08 was totaled, I was going to either do a 4.6L Stroker build or buy a Boss Bare Block from AM and start building a motor. My car was also at about 125K.

Then, one day, Darren said I should just get a 5.0 and then an Expedition T-Boned me and now I have one! :rockit:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I vote Coyote, but if you don't like the body style it doesn't really matter what we think.

I'd be surprised if you can find even a 07-09 GT500 for under 30K...but I haven't looked for a long time.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Found a gt500 I like for 30k even.
But.. I'm learning towards just going with the supercharger on mine. I just replaced a wheel bearing an hour ago and lol it made it feel like a brand new car again. Maybe I'll just replace all suspension bushings and it'll feel like I just drove it off the lot again :)

JayhawkS197

Reaction score
If you like the body style, keep paying it until your sure. A coyote is tempting and a 07-09 GT500 maybe pricier then a coyote pending on mileage. I would wait until your fully committed to one option and save up. Maybe by the time your ready, the 2016s will be out and you could put a big downpayment on leftover 2015.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
I was just in your shoes man. Go with the 5.0. They gave me $10,000 for my 2007 gt with 100k miles without seeing the car. I walked away with a 2012 GT/CS with 18k miles fully loaded for & $280 a month.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Motor swap Darren for his 5.0
It's got negative miles on it due to Darren owning it

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
If you like the body style but want more power than a 07-09 GT500 is the way to go. They can be found for under $30K but mostly for sale by private owner. Which means unless you have $30K sitting around it is going to be tougher to get into one of those at that price range than financing one at slightly more through a dealer. Then you have the issue of what to do with your car. Sell it outright, trade it in for the GT500? I like the 11-14 GT's but after driving a few I wasn't floored with the performance enough to trade my 05 in. So I threw in a low mileage takeout motor, rebuilt the suspension (shocks struts springs, camber plates etc) and repainted in in mineral grey the car is like new and ready for another 130K miles. Honestly I would probably pay it off, and save up for a forged motor with power adder of your choice, drop in a 6060 or a tremec t56 and have a pretty bullet proof car.

Last edited:

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
skip the 07-09 Gt500. Drive the car till you pay it off. Trade/sell it plus put the 6k down and get in a 2011-2012 GT500.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
For what it's worth a local Shelby owner has a blown cammed stock bottom end Shelby GT and it made 485whp without really risking the motor. He may be able to cram more boost at it, but it should live happily there.

Same day and same dyno my car made 556whp with just an intake, tune, pulley from Steeda and a set of GT500KR axle back mufflers.

I had a 95GT with all the basic bolt ons and some Ford GT40X aluminum heads, cams, rockers, etc.... and in the end the car felt like it was an amalgamation of parts. The Shelby feels so much more complete and makes almost double the horsepower. It'll out-brake and out-corner that old SN as well while being 10x more livable. If I really want to make power I just need a clutch and a 13-14 take off blower and I can break the 700hp barrier.

The GT500's have some faults right out of the box, but they are easily corrected and the cars are poised to make real power very easily.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back