Supercharged car plug changes.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Just out of general curiosity, how many miles do you guys with FI change out there spark plugs? I'm doing some spring time freshin up and got my new HT0s.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
its been 1.5 years now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Considering the plugs in naturally aspirated cars are good for 100K miles, I think 10K mile changes might be just a tiny bit excessive. At least we don't need to remove the motor mount and lift the motor to get to the rear plugs like my F150. I did swap my plugs to the NGK Iridium one step colder than stock a few months after installing the blower but it will probably be a couple years before I swap them again. I did pull them and check them last week and all appeared fine.

If you have the older style heads with the crappy 2 piece plugs then I can see swapping them often before they corrode and break apart.

TimMcc

Reaction score
Mine have been in a year now with about 5K miles on the with the whipple. They looked brand new. I'm not changing mine. F That noise.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Shouldn't you only need to change your plugs that often if it is running extremely rich?

FI stuff runs richer then NA stuff does.
It really shouldn't be a factor under higher throttle situations, but usually FI tunes are a little "sloppy" and tend to run fat on the outside edge of boost. Overtime this causes carbon build up and fouling.

FI usually requires colder plugs, too, which doesn't help- hotter plugs are more resistant to carbon build up under normal throttle, cruise, and idle conditions, where as colder plugs have a tougher time burning carbon off.

Anyway, I'm figuring to get two years out of the plugs in mine. They look fine after a year of FI, and there's no evidence of fouling or misfires.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a set of NGK Iridium plugs, Currently have 17,000miles or so on em' , My tuner recommended changing them at 20,000 miles.

Mine are gapped at .035, I checked the gap a couple weeks ago and the gap had opened to .037-38 on the four on the passenger side (bank 1 as its called) That side runs hotter than the drivers on my car, dunno if thats true of all 4.6 3v's or not.

The drivers side were still .035-36 and the color was a nice grey-tan on all 8 as I haven't been tracking the car much this winter.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I just changed them. It's running much better. It had a faint stumble to it before the change and it felt sloppy, for lack of a better description. It's my daily driver so I put the miles on it. Runs 100% smooth. I guess it was needed.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
I installed my Brisk plugs with the supercharger last June and they are running fine. My plan is to change them every 10k miles, but at the rate I'm going, I might not change them again....lol...I only have 2k miles on them...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After adding the turbo and getting it tuned I put around 1,000 miles on a set and then changed them, now I change them once a year or every other oil change basicly.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Considering the plugs in naturally aspirated cars are good for 100K miles, I think 10K mile changes might be just a tiny bit excessive. At least we don't need to remove the motor mount and lift the motor to get to the rear plugs like my F150. I did swap my plugs to the NGK Iridium one step colder than stock a few months after installing the blower but it will probably be a couple years before I swap them again. I did pull them and check them last week and all appeared fine.

If you have the older style heads with the crappy 2 piece plugs then I can see swapping them often before they corrode and break apart.

What year f150 do you have and what motor? I just changed my brother's(2007 5.4) and didn't have to do any of that...I used a short extension and wiggler for the back 2.

Also you guys are nuts! There is no way in hell, if the tune is on, that a spark plug would need changing every 10k miles. Now I do take one out of each bank every oil change to inspect and every other oil change I will remove all of them and reapply anti-seize to assure none break when it is time to replace. Some of you guys replace plugs more than I do in my 2-stroke dirt bikes. :lol2:

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Also you guys are nuts! There is no way in hell, if the tune is on, that a spark plug would need changing every 10k miles. Now I do take one out of each bank every oil change to inspect and every other oil change I will remove all of them and reapply anti-seize to assure none break when it is time to replace. Some of you guys replace plugs more than I do in my 2-stroke dirt bikes. :lol2:

So how many supercharged or turbocharged 3V Mustangs have you done this with?

The car in your sig doesn't look like it has forced induction- so as stated above, it's a completely different game with FI.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
I've never owned a FI 3v but I have owned a vortech powered fox and a supercharged frontier with a pulley swap. Neither of which required those kind of service intervals. I wasn't commenting on this to start an argument.

Back