SVE drag wheel front issues

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Got my skinnies in today. The SVE drag fronts 17 inch. I looked everywhere and everybody said you could balance them like a normal wheel, which I don't see why not.. Anyway, when they balanced the wheels they said they wiggled a lot and weren't gonna matter if you put weights on or not because they were so wobbly. And I looked while it was spinning and seen the wheel move up and down quite a bit to be brand new with no damage. The guys who mounted them said they get drag wheels all the time that are all out of wack like that and that's normal. Is this true?

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
I've had 2 sets of dark stars and one set of welds and never had an issue with balancing. I would contact the manufacturer and try to figure something out.

10GreyGT

Reaction score
When they put them on the balancer machine did they slid the arbor into the big hole in the middle or use a adapter that goes in the lug holes?

I had a issue with aftermarket wheels for my Jeep where they tried to balance tires by using the center hole. Wheel mfg said to balance using the lug holes. I guess there is some adapter that goes on the arbor to do this. Anyway, she said the center hole may not be exactly center because Jeeps aren't hub centric.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
When they put them on the balancer machine did they slid the arbor into the big hole in the middle or use a adapter that goes in the lug holes?

I had a issue with aftermarket wheels for my Jeep where they tried to balance tires by using the center hole. Wheel mfg said to balance using the lug holes. I guess there is some adapter that goes on the arbor to do this. Anyway, she said the center hole may not be exactly center because Jeeps aren't hub centric.

Hmm I've never heard of that but that's really interesting. The only reason I've not already sent them back yet is because they are a drag front for drag racing and perhaps the manufacturer didn't put as much "effort" into making the wheel perfect if it wasn't for ride comfort to begin with..

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm I've never heard of that but that's really interesting. The only reason I've not already sent them back yet is because they are a drag front for drag racing and perhaps the manufacturer didn't put as much "effort" into making the wheel perfect if it wasn't for ride comfort to begin with..

yea, because an out of round/balance front runner will do well for an application designed for high speeds... :thud:

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
yea, because an out of round/balance front runner will do well for an application designed for high speeds... :thud:

I'm not talking about throwing a phone book in a drier, I'm talking about enough motion to physically see some enough movement. Just a suggestion.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah they shake way too bad for them to be anywhere near right.. The steering wheel can barely be held at like 65 or so. Also I was worried about the rear tires rubbing, well the fronts do.. But only one side. I have a defective spring. So I have to send my front wheels back, and my front springs back. FML!

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the sve and mine balanced out real nice. They didn't take much weight I think on side was .25 and the other .50. Haven't had any issues.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Is this the first wheels youve put on. When you pull the stock wheel make sure you remove the clip on the one stud that holds the rotor tight. After market wheels arent recessed for the clip. Just a thought

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
The wheels called for 4.00 ounces or more per wheel. Even LateModel Resto said they had never had an issue like this especially with both wheels to the same customer. I have a video of the wheels on the car and the steering wheel shakes really really bad. I spoke to someone and we shot emails back and forth and I'll send them back tomorrow morning or so. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved by next week!

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
If you ever have any problems you need help with, you are more than welcome to shoot me a PM. Ill be more than happy to get you taken care of.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
So i assume you checked for clip removal. So i would second a different shop.

Hiltsy845

forum member
Reaction score
I had to try 2 different shops to find a balancer that would work for my Racestar skinnies. They had a hard time getting the hub to sit correctly.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I would blame the balancer, except I had them on the car and they shook so bad I could barely hold the steering wheel.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would blame the balancer, except I had them on the car and they shook so bad I could barely hold the steering wheel.

How about some common sense. They put 4 ounces of weight on the wheels. Ever occur to you that is part of the issue.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
How about some common sense. They put 4 ounces of weight on the wheels. Ever occur to you that is part of the issue.

I didn't put 4 ounces on them.. He said the wheel was so bent that it wouldn't matter so I didn't worry about it. So that's obviously not the issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back