Swap from Spydershaft to Coast Drive Shaft question...

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
My Spydershaft is toast due to the splines. The driveline shop wasn't confident it would hold up, especially since it was bent also. So I bought a new Coast HD drive shaft. Will I need the stock flange for the Coast? I know the Spydershaft gives you a new flange to change out, but I have no clue with the Coast. I don't have the original flange and if needed, I wanted to get a new one before I had the shop swap shafts.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, looking at the one sitting in my garage, the Coast uses the stock pinion flange and a spacer. The spacer might just be for GT500/TR6060 applications. Don't quote me on any of this.

Question: what kind of power levels effed up your Spydershaft? What do you mean by "due to the splines?"

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
The driveline shop said the splines were loose and if my exhaust was quiet, I could hear them "click". They didn't have any confidence that they would hold up at the track under the hard launching. I have had the Spydershaft since the first bacth, so it has been a long time that it was being "abused".

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And when it was said in post 3. :)

I still want to know what's failing. Axle splines? Rear end?

Kinda close in post 3 lol, its not a spacer, rather an adaptor plate that bolts to the pinion flange and needed to install on reg gt's, not gt500 specific.

Last edited:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like Spydershaft's web site at Leonard Racing is down. Anyone know if Spyder is still selling these things?

Mine is holding up just fine, but I may replace it with the Coast DS I have, if things point that way in this thread.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Exactly what I have, but a bigger vibration at 30-40 mph. Before it was at 80mph, after rebalance it was the 30-40mph.

ren274u

forum member
Reaction score
I dont think you would have to change the flange. The adapter piece probably just converts it to the bolt pattern that the cobra flange already has. I would try installing it first, I bet it fits.

I also have to get a new replacement for my spydershaft.

shawn13

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly what I have, but a bigger vibration at 30-40 mph. Before it was at 80mph, after rebalance it was the 30-40mph.

yep thats it ... once I narrowed it down I put the stocker in and all better.
let me know how you like the coast shaft !

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back