Rotational noise? Drive shaft?

Countryboi

Reaction score
Hello, brand new here, on my fourth Mustang, a 2008 GT with 53K original miles I bought today. Two weeks ago I had just gotten a 2007 GT/CS with 91K but in excellent condition. Two semis decided they wanted to be in my lane so...it got totaled.
In driving the new(er) car home tonight, I noticed the exact same noise in the '08 as in the '07; a "rotational noise." Now I'm deaf in one ear, the other not much better, so I could be confused, but I've heard all the tales about the two piece driveshaft so I'm wondering if that's what's making all the racket. I don't know how to describe it other than "rotational" since it sounds like I'm driving on tires worn down to the wear indicators. Kind of annoying even being deaf.
Would the one piece aluminum drive shaft Ford markets be a cure? Thanks in advance.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? Is it under the arm rest where the 2-piece driveshaft carrier bearing is located? Or is it coming from the back of the car where the axle is located? My first thought is... Does the car have different rear end gears? Sometimes aftermarket gears "whine" a little, especially if a home-mechanic put them in and didn't set them up properly (just reused the stock shims). Is it worse when accelerating or decelerating, or is it a consistent sound all the time?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GriffX

Reaction score
This is a document to locate noises from Ford. I have a noise from the driveshaft which is only speed dependent no matter if accelerating or decelerating.

Attachments

• Noise_Vibration_and_Harshness_(NVH).pdf
    875.2 KB · Views: 13

Countryboi

Reaction score
Being deaf in one ear, and very impaired in the other, it's sometimes hard for me to tell, but it does sound like it's coming from that armrest / rear axel area. Mostly when I get about 40 mph. On the '07 the rear output shaft seal was leaking so that may have contributed. The '08 I don't know, haven't crawled under it very far to see what's going on under there, but at 54k I didn't think that carrier bearing would be this noisy. In fact, I'm surprised at the amount of road noise in these cars. Could be me I guess, but it sure is noisy.
I appreciate the noise finder info! That will help, but I think in the end getting rid of that two piece shaft will go a long ways at fixing this issue. But boy are they proud of those things!

GriffX

Reaction score
I just did the noise insulation job and I could kick myself that I have not done it years before. The car is noisy and I found almost no noise insulation anywhere besides the floor pan. It is so much more enjoyable to drive now.
With the document you should be able to locate the noise to the diff or the driveshaft, I guess.

Countryboi

Reaction score
Is there info out there about the "noise insulation job"? Or is it in that pdf on locating noises?
Also I found a NEW noise! When I go to start the car, I get a loud bang coming from under the dashboard, like a vent slamming shut or something. WTH??

JC SSP

Reaction score
Lol notorious HVAC blended door actuators. There are four of them in total.

Search the forum, someone posted a step by step guide.

GriffX

Reaction score
Is there info out there about the "noise insulation job"? Or is it in that pdf on locating noises?
Yes, I did not the "everything alubutyl" route, I use the Quite Ride documents to place alubutyl stripes and combined it with car sound insulation self-sticking sheets form a special German company on the inside of the covers. I have cut tons of 2x20 alubutyl stripes and combined them.

https://www.quietride.com/web/viewe...nstructions/AS/Ford/Mustang/MUST 1014-CAK.pdf

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/w...lation-make-the-most-difference.140239/page-4

Dcraig10004

Reaction score
Get rid of the two-piece driveshaft. It will absolutely cure this noise. It's like night and day. Go for the For Racing one-piece aluminum driveshaft. You will be amazed.

Countryboi

Reaction score
That's what my plan was! I'm definitely doing that, and maybe the noise reduction insulation too. I had to make an hour drive this morning and it drove me nuts!
Thanks!

MrBhp

Reaction score
Our cars are also very susceptible to tire noise. Another thing that insulation can help with. That s197 link posted above is good. Start at the beginning of the thread.

Countryboi

Reaction score
Don't I know it! Mine has some Pirellis on it now and they're very noisy. I know tire noise is not any easy fix, but that driveshaft....got to go!
Everyone has such good info here!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back