swflastang05's build thread

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Congrats on the engine.
Man, I wish I was in FL right now, preferably cruising the street with that sweet hot rod you built.

R.M.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
Lookin pert nice under that beautiful sunshine we are getting !
Maybe i will have a car soon and drive out there to ya and get a close up .

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with c clip elims

I wound up using the ford diesel RTV silicone ( the grey stuff).

Hasn't leaked since.

Thanks for the info, never heard of that stuff.

Nice pics. Congrats on the engine.
Man, I wish I was in FL right now, preferably cruising the street with that sweet hot rod you built.

R.M.

Thanks,

Lookin pert nice under that beautiful sunshine we are getting !
Maybe i will have a car soon and drive out there to ya and get a close up .

Yes we've had perfect weather all weekend, probably the last of it though before the sweltering heat and humidity of summer sets in.. yes we need to try to meet up again sometime, one of these weekends..

Back to my leaking c-clip elim, I drove a few miles this morning and to no surprise it was still leaking. I pulled the wheel off and confirmed I'm 99% sure it's leaking between the outer bracket and ABS ring, I don't even know what to do to fix this. Probably have to call Strange in the morning and see what they say, I bet I'll have to order a new bearing kit for that side and swap it out.

Oh well I can't complain too much, everything else is doing good so far, now have about 130 miles on the new motor.

travelers

Reaction score
I always wait 24hrs for it to cure before I let oil get to the area where the oil is. At the shop we use Dow 732 black RTV on oil pans axel faces with no come backs. Permatex also makes the Gray RTV.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score

I just ask for it at the service counter. Any ford dealership should have it.

TA-31 it's called I believe

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
^^Thanks for the info, I don't think it's leaking in that area though, I'm 99% sure it's coming from the outer seal, I researched and learned there is an outer seal, mine must have failed for some reason. Of course you need to dissemble everything to replace it, and my press is just a tad too small, figures.

On another note, I marked my wheels and tires to see if they're spinning inside, I did this mostly to check the next time I go to the track, but just for kicks I looked today and found they are spinning, even on the street! Damn! Now I need to look into bead locks.. mo' money!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
A couple minor updates, I priced out bead locks (again) and decided to try the Permatex high tack gasket sealer trick first, then if it still spins I'll bite the bullet and drop the $$ and bead locks.

I've been driving the car a lot this past week, finally got just over 250 miles on the new motor so I was able to do an oil change today and drain the break in oil and replace it with some nice Driven DT40 and FRPP filter, she's much happier now :)

Lastly, my friggin c-clip eliminator is still leaking, I replaced the outer seal and new wedding ring, as needed, and it seemed to hold for a little while but it started leaking again from that same seal, ARGH! I'll be calling Strange again in the am to see WTF, maybe that bearing crapped out and is what caused the first seal to leak, I can't imagine the axle being bent or anything else. I'll probably replace the bearing, seal, and wedding ring again and if it still leaks I'll have a nice set of 35 spline axles with c-clip elims for sale, LOL

Last edited:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lastly, my friggin c-clip eliminator is still leaking, I replaced the outer seal and new wedding ring, as needed, and it seemed to hold for a little while but it started leaking again from that same seal, ARGH! I'll be calling Strange again in the am to see WTF, maybe that bearing crapped out and is what caused the first seal to leak, I can't imagine the axle being bent or anything else. I'll probably replace the bearing, seal, and wedding ring again and if it still leaks I'll have a nice set of 35 spline axles with c-clip elims for sale, LOL

Kyle, by any chance do you still have a factory vent on your diff? I herd Friday that the factory vent has a check value in it for emission reasons and the positive pressure may be a contributing factor to your leak.

My old diff had the "bulb" on it on the passenger side, my new diff has the vent on the drivers side directly in line with the exhaust. I replaced the "bulb" with a factory vent and wondered why it was so expensive, but just chalked it up to the wisdom of Ford. I have not checked yet, but if there is in fact a check value that could be it and maybe a quick fix by removing the valve.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Kyle, by any chance do you still have a factory vent on your diff? I herd Friday that the factory vent has a check value in it for emission reasons and the positive pressure may be a contributing factor to your leak.

My old diff had the "bulb" on it on the passenger side, my new diff has the vent on the drivers side directly in line with the exhaust. I replaced the "bulb" with a factory vent and wondered why it was so expensive, but just chalked it up to the wisdom of Ford. I have not checked yet, but if there is in fact a check value that could be it and maybe a quick fix by removing the valve.

Yes, I do still have the OEM vent / valve on mine, I was doing some research and learned that can cause leaks if it's clogged so I removed the vent last night to check it out, I was able to blow through it, but it definitely has some restriction there, it's a check valve for sure, I might estimate it requires 2 or 3 psi to "open" the valve. I tried blowing some brake cleaner through it, and my air hose, after retesting it didn't change the restriction so I'm assuming it's okay. I thought about removing the rubber valve inside it but was concerned that might result in oil leakage, do you know if that's not the case? A couple years ago while running at the track I had some oil leak through that vent even with the valve! I may have had too much oil then who knows, thanks for the suggestion.

I ordered a new bearing, seal, and wedding ring today from Strange, after talking with my buddy that pressed it together for me last week (my press isn't tall enough) he mentioned the bearing was a "little wobbly" so that might be the problem, I should have it swapped by the end of the week and will drive some more this weekend to test and find out.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Okay new bearing, seal, and ring installed, we'll see how it goes this weekend. I also weighed my Hoosier skinnies on 15's vs. M/T on 17's and wow what a difference, the Hoosiers are 34 lbs lighter! Needless to say I will put those on next time I go to the track.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Okay here's a couple updates, I had a buddy install the new bearing from Strange and put about 35 miles on the car, so far so good with no leaks. I learned it's really hard on those bearings driving on the street with a spool, makes sense to me.

I ended up scoring some time on a dyno today too, now this is not a "normal" dyno, the numbers read very, very low, it's a mustang dyno, but this one reads low even for those, to put it in perspective there's a 9.90 car that only makes 505 rwhp on this dyno!

I wasn't trying to put up big numbers or anything, I could really care less what the numbers say, I just wanted to see where my hp and torque curves peak, which is as suspected around 6300 rpm, at least today with a heat soaked engine and 93 degrees ambient in the shop. So without further ado, here's the graph, and whopping 580 rwhp!

Mind you, my car should run 9.50's next time I go to the track, so again, pay no attention to these numbers! Manuel said this is the biggest heartbreak dyno he's ever seen!

Anyway, it did lean out, kept wanting more fuel, we did a couple tune revisions but my time ran out and I had to go anyway so the next testing will be at the track, date TBD.

I pulled all the plugs and checked everything when I got home, there was no apparent damage, so it was a good day! And my c-clip elim is still dry!

All the plugs look good, like the one on the left, the right one is brand new, never been run. I was kinda nervous after leaning it out a couple times even though I lifted soon as I noticed, it's still stressful, but again all was good, so it was for sure a good day.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Last time I was on a dyno, it was a heartbreaker as well, just like the flow bench for my heads, don't get caught up on them for sure. The only one that matters is at the track.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
Well that dyno looks familiar, oh yeah that's the guy who blew my motor with his conservative tune .heartbreak dyno for sure :(
And those # are pert good for his dyno .
That dickhead never has returned any of my calls.
Enough bout me your car is looking great and I can't wait to see your time slip .
Okay here's a couple updates, I had a buddy install the new bearing from Strange and put about 35 miles on the car, so far so good with no leaks. I learned it's really hard on those bearings driving on the street with a spool, makes sense to me.

I ended up scoring some time on a dyno today too, now this is not a "normal" dyno, the numbers read very, very low, it's a mustang dyno, but this one reads low even for those, to put it in perspective there's a 9.90 car that only makes 505 rwhp on this dyno!

I wasn't trying to put up big numbers or anything, I could really care less what the numbers say, I just wanted to see where my hp and torque curves peak, which is as suspected around 6300 rpm, at least today with a heat soaked engine and 93 degrees ambient in the shop. So without further ado, here's the graph, and whopping 580 rwhp!

Mind you, my car should run 9.50's next time I go to the track, so again, pay no attention to these numbers! Manuel said this is the biggest heartbreak dyno he's ever seen!

Anyway, it did lean out, kept wanting more fuel, we did a couple tune revisions but my time ran out and I had to go anyway so the next testing will be at the track, date TBD.

I pulled all the plugs and checked everything when I got home, there was no apparent damage, so it was a good day! And my c-clip elim is still dry!

All the plugs look good, like the one on the left, the right one is brand new, never been run. I was kinda nervous after leaning it out a couple times even though I lifted soon as I noticed, it's still stressful, but again all was good, so it was for sure a good day.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Last time I was on a dyno, it was a heartbreaker as well, just like the flow bench for my heads, don't get caught up on them for sure. The only one that matters is at the track.

I agree 100% the only measuring stick that matters to me is the time slip at the track!

Well that dyno looks familiar, oh yeah that's the guy who blew my motor with his conservative tune .heartbreak dyno for sure :(
And those # are pert good for his dyno .
That dickhead never has returned any of my calls.
Enough bout me your car is looking great and I can't wait to see your time slip .

yes sir you've been there, lol. I mentioned to him you were ticked off at him, of course he has a whole different story, but I don't want to get in the middle of all that BS. I've known him for years and he's never screwed me, I know that doesn't mean he won't screw anyone else but again, I don't want to get in the middle.

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting back to the track again soon too, of course the next two weekends they're open I'll be on vacation out of town, figures! I have no idea when I'll be able to go, I might have to do a Thursday night TnT although I hate that since it makes for a rough day at work the next morning, or I'll just wait a bit. Obviously going in the heat of summer isn't as good anyway.

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I ordered the Blowfish Racing tow hook kit a few weeks ago, after seeing Sean install it on his car, took forever but it finally arrived this week and I installed it. Was kind of a PITA, not really due to the kit or any design issues but mostly because of my Eleanor nose. I had to replace my metal bumper since I hacked up my original one to clear my IC a couple years ago, but after I removed the a/c and p/s it cleared a lot of space so I was able to install a new bumper so it will actually work if needed, which had to be cut a bit via sawzall again to fit my Eleanor nose, then relocate my IC back about an inch, and finally had the clearance needed for the Blowfish bracket. I ran into the same problem as Sean breaking one of the carriage bolts, the instructions say to torque those to 35 lbs, which is too much, I broke the replacement bolt too! Ended up going with 30 lbs. I don't have any in progress pics since I had to test fit the nose so many times when I finally got it to fit I just wanted to bolt it back on lol. It's a nice kit though, hope I never have to use it, but if I do it will be very nice to have.

Broken bolt!

It's a little pricey at $199, but a nice kit over all.

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
HAven't you though on changing that bumper cover out so that intercooler could actually receive some air?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
HAven't you though on changing that bumper cover out so that intercooler could actually receive some air?

I have thought about it, but the OEM metal bumper is right behind it, which would still be the same restriction, probably wouldn't make much difference. I briefly looked into changing it since the Eleanor nose is so long it bottoms out all the time if I'm not careful, but I have no idea what I would replace it with.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I have thought about it, but the OEM metal bumper is right behind it, which would still be the same restriction, probably wouldn't make much difference. I briefly looked into changing it since the Eleanor nose is so long it bottoms out all the time if I'm not careful, but I have no idea what I would replace it with.

Thing is that the air works like a fluid (or the police), likes the path of less resistance, as it sits right now, most of it will go around the IC, not thru it.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Hm, I might be able to fab up some new brackets and move the IC a little lower to the ground if that would help. There's nothing behind it, no p/s, a/c, only trans cooler. What's an example of a bumper that would do better? I looked a little today just for shits but didn't see any that looked better than my current one for airflow purposes.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
dunno, but maybe trimming those plastic bits that stick out from the rest of the bumper, and attempting to fence in the IC so that any air that does go in gets forced through the IC instead of just wrapping around it.

looks like a big opening to the passenger side and the main part visible sticking down is solid and no finned area

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back