Switch to an O/R H?

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
I currently have stock headers, a Magnaflow High Flow Catted X-Pipe, and Borla Stingers. I don't plan on a power adder in the future. Is it worth upgrading to an O/R H or will I just be changing the sound? Will I notice any extra power? The car is tuned by BBR.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Its hard to say. It comes down to what is robbing more power, and H pipe, or hi flow cats.

I doubt it will be noticeable, but the sound will certainly change.
Why not an O/R X-pipe?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
There are little to no gains to be made from modifying the exhaust system. Ford had the stock system designed rather well as far as performance is concerned. Unless you're pushing a ton of power to the wheels, I'd say it's just sound.

Just FYI, the O/R H pipe will be very noticeably louder. If you're worried about noise or waking up the neighbors or you tend to drive late at night or early in the morning, I'd seriously stick with cats.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
H-pipes will change the tone of the exhaust a little at idle. It'll also will loose horsepower. You'll loose about 10 rear wheel horsepower over the X-pipe on the 2011 cars and you may see roughly a 5 ft. lbs of tq gain with them. So, IMHO it's not worth the money spent for a swap out. I have an H-pipe on my car now b/c I had to throw something together to run Factory Stock and pass tech. I hate the H-pipe sound on my car. I'm down on power b/c of the swap over too. Not happy.

Torch Red GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're gonna do it, then do it for the sound because you probably won't gain much. However if you decide to buy one I'm willing to buy your x pipe

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I could have prefaced this by saying I have an 07 GT. I want the H for the sound, I have heard Borlas with an O/R X and I didn't like it.

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I could have prefaced this by saying I have an 07 GT. I want the H for the sound, I have heard Borlas with an O/R X and I didn't like it.

H Pipe will give you more of a deeper tone in the exhuast... :thumb:

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
I just was reading about h vs x and how they sound. After about 20 different threads, people say the x pipe gives a "tinny" tin can sound at high rpm, and does not sound that great with a chambered muffler, such as flowmasters..

H pipe gives a more deep sound.

I read that if you use a quiet muffler such as the stock ones with the x pipe, the sound is great and not raspy or tinny.. So thats the route im going with off road x and a set of stock mufflers. I do want most power, and i dont want the car to be super loud.

Since you already have a magnaflow x, id say its going to sound the same but just a little louder, and may pop when you let off.

HTH

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
My OR-X with GT500 AB is pretty throaty and muscular IMO

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Stock mids with resonators?

Got a link on youtube to how it sounds, i heard that the gt500's sound good, but yet to hear it with the off road x pipe

Thanks

Yes unfortunately I still have the stock over the axle pipes, would love to get rid of them some day for 3" mandrel pipes. Hmm, I may have a video of my idle somewhere.

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
I have 2 mustangs with O/R H-pipe.Mine has pypes L/T's with flowmasters.My wife's has stock manifolds with magnaflow.We love both of them.But its really just a matter of taste.I like an h over an x but some like the x better.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yep, you should have said what year car you had from the get go. I MUCH prefer the H-Pipe sound over the X-Pipe on the 4.6L Stangs. Sounds more aggressive IMO.

On the new 5.0L cars, saying that changing the exhaust isn't going to net you any gains is pure ignorance. Going from the stock exhaust to an O/R X-Pipe makes a significant power gain that you can test, feel and SHOW on these cars. It makes, IMHO, getting headers a waste of money on an N/A 5.0L. The X-Pipe is all you need. I'm not sure of the exact figure in gains, but I've seen it before and it definitely passed the HP-$$$ ratio!!

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
O/R ProChamber. :beer:
Know where I can get one? I really would prefer this but the only thing I found was for LT's.
Does the catted x pipe sound better with the borlas then the stock h pipe?
I'm not sure. I had Muffler Deletes before I put the Borla's on. The X-pipe made a big difference with the MD's though.
Yep, you should have said what year car you had from the get go. I MUCH prefer the H-Pipe sound over the X-Pipe on the 4.6L Stangs. Sounds more aggressive IMO.

On the new 5.0L cars, saying that changing the exhaust isn't going to net you any gains is pure ignorance. Going from the stock exhaust to an O/R X-Pipe makes a significant power gain that you can test, feel and SHOW on these cars. It makes, IMHO, getting headers a waste of money on an N/A 5.0L. The X-Pipe is all you need. I'm not sure of the exact figure in gains, but I've seen it before and it definitely passed the HP-$$$ ratio!!
Yeah sorry about that. I have heard the same for the 4.6 with LT's, if you don't go with a power adder, they aren't worth the price.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back