T-5 to T-56 Swap...lets see if this one holds

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't post much but I read a lot here. Saturday I broke 3rd gear again on my less than a year transmission. This would be my second 3rd gear broken and would be my third transmission installed. Knowing how shitty this t-5 are I said "fuck it" and I was going to do a tr-3650 swap.

This is how the transmission sounds

Well, that has changed a bit, because this is whats going in now.

2012-05-20150651-1.jpg

This transmission came originally in the GTO but it was modified to come stock in the S197 Saleen Extreme Mustangs. My friend is going to upgrade to a T-56 Magnum so he is selling me everything (driveshaft, crossmember, shifter, etc.) for a good price. The good part is that everything has been modified already so that it works on the S197. I'm buying an adapter plate from Action Adaption, hope to be getting it by next week. Heres a pic,

AdapterKit.jpg

after this I hope to finally be able to give the 1/4 mile a chance again. Also I'll be upping the boost now to 12 psi. Lets see how it goes

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know what all was modified to make the t56 work? I know the GTO shifter is needed...

There is an adapter plate between the transmission and the bellhousing to be able to use the transmission on the S197. Also, there is some small cutting on the floor where the shifter is located because it sits a little bit more up front than the tr3650/tr6060 shifters. The stock TOB installs without any problem. Wiring is something that I still have to check as to the different plugs.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
That should be a nice upgrade for you!

So, would you use the same flywheel?
What exhaust are you using? I ran into problems fitting the stock cats with the similar tr6060 adapter; the issues were with the front o2 sensor locations. Solutions include using no stock cats, 'long tube' headers, cats downstream farther, relocated front o2 sensor bungs, and extending the pipe between front o2 sensors and manifold flange.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
There is an adapter plate between the transmission and the bellhousing to be able to use the transmission on the S197. Also, there is some small cutting on the floor where the shifter is located because it sits a little bit more up front than the tr3650/tr6060 shifters. The stock TOB installs without any problem. Wiring is something that I still have to check as to the different plugs.

What about tail shaft and bell housing?

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
That should be a nice upgrade for you!

So, would you use the same flywheel?
What exhaust are you using? I ran into problems fitting the stock cats with the similar tr6060 adapter; the issues were with the front o2 sensor locations. Solutions include using no stock cats, 'long tube' headers, cats downstream farther, relocated front o2 sensor bungs, and extending the pipe between front o2 sensors and manifold flange.

yes, I'll be using the same flywheel as my car is 2005 and it doesn't have the dual mass setup. I'll be checking it and resurface it if needed, but I haven't had any problems with my current setup (stock flywheel with spec stage 3+). Need to call spec and buy them the stage 3+ disc but for the 26 spline input shaft.

My car has a custom turbo kit that has the crossover pipe from the drivers side header going under the transmission and passing up front through the passenger side. My real concern is going to be that since the t-5 is a smaller body that the t-56 will hit the exhaust. Here is a pic (sorry for the shitty quality) when the shop started fabrication:

0616101130-00.jpg

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
What about tail shaft and bell housing?

The transmission I'm going to buy it with the aluminum driveshaft that was installed in the Saleen because with the Magnum he is going to have a custom driveshaft done. The tail shaft will work perfectly and I'll have to take the u-joint off and install the flange currently in my stock driveshaft for it to work with my 7.5" rear.

The bellhousing also will not be a problem as the t-56 has the same bolt pattern as the tr-3650/tr-6060. The adapter they made to make the t-56 fit the s197 was between the transmission and the bellhousing. The one I'm buying to install is between the bellhousing and the motor.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back