T-56 Magnum LX vs RPM level 7 TR6060

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
I have to change my clutch on the 2013 GT500 I have but I am looking for future upgrades and ensuring I don't waste parts.

Always thought the T-56 Magnum is the way to go but I just recently saw Lethal Performance advertising a rebuild by RPM Performance for the TR6060 transmissions. Does anybody have any feedback on the level 7 rebuild or the company? Should I go T-56 Magnum route or continue adding part to my drive train with the ultimate goal of upgrading the TR6060 transmission?

I plan to drag race and use the car in the weekends mostly. Very light street use, just in the weekends maybe.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The T56 magnum and the TR 6060 have the same guts. A few different ratio choices and synchro sets are available that fit ether one. The big difference is the shifter is built into the case on the T56 mag and the 6060 has that half ass remote shift linkage. I have a T56 Mag. XL scattered all over my bench right now. Most of the parts match Ford, Chevy or Mopar 6060s of one year or another. When I changed to the T56 Mag I also got a one piece drive line with a slip yoke.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I believe I have seen someone offer a conversion kit for the 6060 case to the t56 mag. It replaces the output shaft and tail housing and allows the use of t56 drive shafts and eliminates the remote mount shifter.
I have a 13 6060 in my 2005 and with a mgw am very impressed but have not driven a t56 to compare with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have only seen the direct shifter tail housing conversion for the camaro. I guess there are not enough GT500 TR6060's out there for any vendor to bother with it.

The level 7 has the increased power handling if you need it but lacks the safety of the blow proof bellhousing. Clutch manufacturing has improved a lot in the last few decades and I am yet to see any pictures of a clutch explosion on any of the message boards since 1995. It is up to the user on how valuable the blow proof bellhousing is and if your car is a 2008 or newer, you don't require it at an NHRA track until you are 9.99 or faster.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
No direct experience yet (T-56 Magnum will be here in a few weeks), but what are your goals power/torque wise?

I am just gathering information for now. I know enough about both transmissions but no feedback from user is found in the net to compare if is worth the swap. The TR6060 and its remote shift is no issue with me specially after driving a getrac in my 5.0 for so long; that POS is a struggle for sure.

I plan to drag race the car in the weekends and ultimate goals are to run as slow as possible into the 9s. I am a heavy short shift person when it comes to manuals and I want to ensure longevity of the transmission. The fact that both tr6060 and t-56 are about the same, leads me to get the built level 7 from RPM and do the clutch change now.

I just don't want to get an MGW/drive shaft/clutch for tr6060 and then end up needing the t-56 and have to swap all those parts again. I am working the build in reverse sort of speak. I will get the rear end beefed up then suspension for traction and finally, transmission. I think the GT500 have enough power for me to play until I need to add more. If I can make the car hook a 1.5 or lower 60' at the 1/4 I will be happy for the time been.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I missed that you already had a GT500. I would go with the level 7 in that case. The MGW gen 2 on a tr6060 doesn't give up much shift feel compared to the T56.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
I missed that you already had a GT500. I would go with the level 7 in that case. The MGW gen 2 on a tr6060 doesn't give up much shift feel compared to the T56.

That's what I was about to go with but after talking to the RPM representative looks like is better go with T-65 upgrade route. IF I get into the 9s territory I will need the bellhousing and the swap will be cheaper than the upgrade on the tr6060.

I bought the Mcloud RXT spring hub clutch to use my tr6060 for now. I will get the t-56 upgraded with all the supporting items and sell the tr6060 to make up for the extra investment in the car.

The guys at RPM transmission are very helpful thou!!

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Wow. You talked yourself right into the T56 Mag install. I have to agree. Running in the 9s will require SFI rated flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bellhousing. I noticed the IHRA has different ratings for bellhousings based on wether they are for a single or a dual disc clutch. Just more stuff to check on before buying the parts. If you do the T56 Mag XL swap you will need a driveline loop arranged for the XL tail shaft. Pay close attention to the clutch set-up. It is key to synchro life.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. You talked yourself right into the T56 Mag install. I have to agree. Running in the 9s will require SFI rated flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bellhousing. I noticed the IHRA has different ratings for bellhousings based on wether they are for a single or a dual disc clutch. Just more stuff to check on before buying the parts. If you do the T56 Mag XL swap you will need a driveline loop arranged for the XL tail shaft. Pay close attention to the clutch set-up. It is key to synchro life.

Thanks for the information. I was not tracking that.

bogdi1988

Reaction score
I have only seen the direct shifter tail housing conversion for the camaro. I guess there are not enough GT500 TR6060's out there for any vendor to bother with it.

The level 7 has the increased power handling if you need it but lacks the safety of the blow proof bellhousing. Clutch manufacturing has improved a lot in the last few decades and I am yet to see any pictures of a clutch explosion on any of the message boards since 1995. It is up to the user on how valuable the blow proof bellhousing is and if your car is a 2008 or newer, you don't require it at an NHRA track until you are 9.99 or faster.

Just had a friend with a TR6060 swap in his car blow a clutch. It shattered the bellhousing and went through the long tubes where the debris got stuck. I would go T56 if I were you. Many benefits of that vs the TR6060.

Reaction score
I am just gathering information for now. I know enough about both transmissions but no feedback from user is found in the net to compare if is worth the swap. The TR6060 and its remote shift is no issue with me specially after driving a getrac in my 5.0 for so long; that POS is a struggle for sure.

I plan to drag race the car in the weekends and ultimate goals are to run as slow as possible into the 9s. I am a heavy short shift person when it comes to manuals and I want to ensure longevity of the transmission. The fact that both tr6060 and t-56 are about the same, leads me to get the built level 7 from RPM and do the clutch change now.

I just don't want to get an MGW/drive shaft/clutch for tr6060 and then end up needing the t-56 and have to swap all those parts again. I am working the build in reverse sort of speak. I will get the rear end beefed up then suspension for traction and finally, transmission. I think the GT500 have enough power for me to play until I need to add more. If I can make the car hook a 1.5 or lower 60' at the 1/4 I will be happy for the time been.

I know what you mean about not wanting to but parts twice. I have quite a few parts from my 3650 that will need to find a new home.

I think you should be able to make a 1.50 60 ft. happen with no problem. I worked my way down to low-mid 1.50's once I got a decent hang on setting up the rear suspension and shocks.

I gotta say though, I ran an RXT and it didn't do me any favors. Never slipped, but launches were always pretty violent. Either had terrible wheel hop or it planted so hard it balled up the tire and spun a few feet down the track. I'm swapping to a sintered iron long style clutch with the T-56, hoping to get better results!

Back