taller skinneys

2011/5.0

Reaction score
im running the 17x4.7 weld rts on my 2011 and the race master 185/55/17 on it,its speced at 26 but measures closer to 25,has anyone found a 27 radial tire to run on these, since i put alot of street miles on it i need more front ground clearance and rim protection,my cdc classic chin has 4 1/2 inches and the stock air diffuser under motor has 3 1/2, so i scrape alot
thanks for the help guys

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, my MT sportsmans are advertised as 26" but are actually 25.25". I talked to a MT rep about this and he was clueless. He tried to tell me I had them on the wrong wheel and inflated wrong.
This seems to be an issue with all skinnies. I wish someone made a true 27" radial skinny.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So this means you simply take their inaccurate measurements into account and order one size taller than what you want. I can handle that and will keep it in mind when I get my new set of Welds next year.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
So this means you simply take their inaccurate measurements into account and order one size taller than what you want. I can handle that and will keep it in mind when I get my new set of Welds next year.

That's the whole point, if you have 17" front runners there aren't any 27" tall radials. Here's a picture of how low my car sits with my 17" drag stars on the car. This is with the car lowered on Sportlines otherwise stock suspension.
1627b806.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Inflate those suckers to 50 psi when at the track.

I run M/T or Moroso PS2s, but for 15 wheel so I am afraid I am no help on this one. But I can say that the PS2 is supposed to be 28 and I measured and its actually 27 tall.

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I emailed Hoosier and asked if they were going to make a taller radial skinny, in either 15 or 17" diameter. They said they had no plans to offer a taller than 26" radial tire.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Only one I know who makes a 28" skinny in a 17" diameter is M&H

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Only one I know who makes a 28" skinny in a 17" diameter is M&H

I don't think they make one that height in a radial do they? My car actually drives great and looks good with the 185/55/17 M&H radial, it just sits so low that it drags on everything.

5.SLOW

Reaction score
ya they do thats what am running 4.5/28/17 m/h and they measure 27

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think they make one that height in a radial do they? My car actually drives great and looks good with the 185/55/17 M&H radial, it just sits so low that it drags on everything.

I run their 28x4.5-17 bias ply.

Weight savings made it worth while for me.

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think they make one that height in a radial do they?

Nope. I talked to Jim @ M&H. He said the 28" Bias ply tire is load rated to 1325#. Where are the Hoosier 26" Pro Street radial is only rated at 825#.

He was going to check how many ply the 28" bias ply is. I doubt with that load rating it is a 3 ply tire. He said I would have no issue with those tires on my full weight GT. I plan to order them in a couple weeks when my RT-S front runners come in .

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
I run their 28x4.5-17 bias ply.

Weight savings made it worth while for me.

I guess it could be however I haven't done anything else to save weight so I figured why start with tires. Plus I was actually driving mine quite alot with the runners on it, and wouldn't want to have a bias ply on it for daily driving. If I were using them for track only I would likely use the same tire you are.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
my understanding was not to mix the radial on the rear with a bias ply on the front, im not lowered so the front wheel gap is 2 3/4 and 2 1/2 in the rear

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I guess it could be however I haven't done anything else to save weight so I figured why start with tires. Plus I was actually driving mine quite alot with the runners on it, and wouldn't want to have a bias ply on it for daily driving. If I were using them for track only I would likely use the same tire you are.

Less weight on rotational mass gives way more benefits than chassis weight savings. If anywhere you want to save it on wheels, tires, driveshaft etc

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
my understanding was not to mix the radial on the rear with a bias ply on the front, im not lowered so the front wheel gap is 2 3/4 and 2 1/2 in the rear

Bias front skinny, radial rear is ok. Bias front skinny, bias rear is ok. Radial front skinny, bias rear is ok. Standard size radial front and bias rear is not ok.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
well i guess the mss-24, m&h 4.5/28/17 dot certified speced at 28 is the go to tire....im sure its at least 27 tall... LOL

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Less weight on rotational mass gives way more benefits than chassis weight savings. If anywhere you want to save it on wheels, tires, driveshaft etc

I realize all that I just haven't been concerned about weight. The car makes enough power to run my goal of 9.9's at roughly 200 or so pounds above stock weight, and since I drive it every day comfort comes first. I refuse to gut the car just to go a little faster, but I can certainly respect those who look for every bit of ET available.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I realize all that I just haven't been concerned about weight. The car makes enough power to run my goal of 9.9's at roughly 200 or so pounds above stock weight, and since I drive it every day comfort comes first. I refuse to gut the car just to go a little faster, but I can certainly respect those who look for every bit of ET available.

Other than the driveshaft and exhaust my car has no weight reduction either.

Also the lighter weight race wheels and tires that's just being smart about your race setup.

I too do not believe in gutting a car, but I do know the benefits in rotational mass reduction.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back