That New Hood I got

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, You all kill me. I'm painting it myself because I wanted to give it a try and its fun. Hell, half the fun of having the car is doing the work on it. Freaks idea about the pinstrip though, I'm thinking maybe a green pin strip. Hmm, that idea has me thinking.

tattva

Reaction score
I've always liked that style of hood and I'm pretty surprised that there is only one manufacturer that I know of (Foose) that produces that style. I wish some other companies would come along and make that style, perhaps in carbon fiber.

I know the Foose hood is made out of aluminum, so how much does it weigh compared to the stock hood?

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard, it weighs as much as the stock hood.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, You all kill me. I'm painting it myself because I wanted to give it a try and its fun. Hell, half the fun of having the car is doing the work on it. Freaks idea about the pinstrip though, I'm thinking maybe a green pin strip. Hmm, that idea has me thinking.

I was going to recommend a light ( almost lime ) green but some people don't like to do stuff that "loud" It will deff bring out the colors , now this is kinda hard to describe but I will try to do my best lol . Start the pin stripe at a point ( right where the very start of the raised portion begins )then let it thicken out right where the red starts and make it split around 1/4" or smaller following the leading edge of the red all the way to the back .

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've always liked that style of hood and I'm pretty surprised that there is only one manufacturer that I know of (Foose) that produces that style. I wish some other companies would come along and make that style, perhaps in carbon fiber.

I know the Foose hood is made out of aluminum, so how much does it weigh compared to the stock hood?

It is the same, the stock hood isn't really heavy. The fiberglass hood I have on now weighs more then the stock one.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was going to recommend a light ( almost lime ) green but some people don't like to do stuff that "loud" It will deff bring out the colors , now this is kinda hard to describe but I will try to do my best lol . Start the pin stripe at a point ( right where the very start of the raised portion begins )then let it thicken out right where the red starts and make it split around 1/4" or smaller following the leading edge of the red all the way to the back .

I was actually thinking lime green pin strip. I was also thinking of taking it all the way down to the start of the hood along the fold which goes all the way down the hood.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking lime green pin strip. I was also thinking of taking it all the way down to the start of the hood along the fold which goes all the way down the hood.

That's what I'm talking about start it maybe 3/4"-1" or so back from the very beginning of the hood where it starts to raise up . I think it would look pretty slick .

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That would look good too. Hmm, if I can find the right color pin strip I'll play with it tonight if not there may not be any pin strip.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That would look good too. Hmm, if I can find the right color pin strip I'll play with it tonight if not there may not be any pin strip.

Go to lowes or home depot they sell a lime green color painters tape you can do a easy mock up and get a idea of it and never put a drop of paint on the hood .

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go to lowes or home depot they sell a lime green color painters tape you can do a easy mock up and get a idea of it and never put a drop of paint on the hood .

I was going to use a pinstripe tape if I can find it.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure how long it would last in the elements, but hobby shops carry multiple colors and widths. Would be cheap color tests

Thats a great idea. If only there was a hobby shop close by. St. Robert is small, I'd have to drive to Springfield or St. Louis for a hobby shop. Sucks because thinking about it I could just bury it under several layers of clear coat and it would hold up just fine I bet. I'm debating with trying to paint some pin strips on by hand as none of the car shops around here have lime green pin strips, nor can they order them.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
Why not use some 1/4" painters tape or normal painters tape for that matter, mask it off then paint it and pull up the tape. Even if you are doing it by brush you cant mess up! Then do a light sanding on the edges before you lay down clear and maker sure to use enough clear to leave no edges and make the paint level. You should be good to go!

Hood looks awesome by the way I did something similar and painted the hood on my fox with spray cans. If you can find a nozzle from a degreaser that fits on your spray cans for the final coats. Reason being is because it typically lays down a thicker coat and is easier to blend together so that you dont get spray can stripes.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not use some 1/4" painters tape or normal painters tape for that matter, mask it off then paint it and pull up the tape. Even if you are doing it by brush you cant mess up! Then do a light sanding on the edges before you lay down clear and maker sure to use enough clear to leave no edges and make the paint level. You should be good to go!

Hood looks awesome by the way I did something similar and painted the hood on my fox with spray cans. If you can find a nozzle from a degreaser that fits on your spray cans for the final coats. Reason being is because it typically lays down a thicker coat and is easier to blend together so that you dont get spray can stripes.

Actually I do have the painters tape in various sizes. That is a good idea to tape it off and then paint the pin strip, if I do paint a pinstrip I'll do it that way.

Good info on the degreaser nozzle, the only problem is that the dupli color can't have some weird nozzle with a pin in it, I'm not sure if I can swap them but I'll deffently look into it as those paint can strips are kind of annoying.

Thanks by the way on the complement, it is actually looking like it will come out better then I was expecting it to.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ILL take that mustang in the back in the 9th pic lol!!

Are you talking about the white one or the red one? I can't see the pics here at work. The white one is my buddy Mikes car. It has a built engine and a vortech pushing 598rwhp and 550rwtq I think. It also has a ton of suspension mods and handles pretty nicely.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Paint

I give you props for DIY, really. I thought about doing some side painting on spoilers, rocker panels, and such. The spray can paint is pretty bold, I have to say. I would have bought a $60 paint gun and borrowed a compressor, at minimum. But the several coats, wet-sanding then clear coating it does sound promising. Please keep us posted as I'm sure you have a lot of people's interest including the haters on here. LOL!

Gerardo

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The even more badass red one lol!!!

That one would be my car.

I give you props for DIY, really. I thought about doing some side painting on spoilers, rocker panels, and such. The spray can paint is pretty bold, I have to say. I would have bought a $60 paint gun and borrowed a compressor, at minimum. But the several coats, wet-sanding then clear coating it does sound promising. Please keep us posted as I'm sure you have a lot of people's interest including the haters on here. LOL!

Gerardo

Thanks, I should be able to get some more work done on it tonight after work.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back