the cause of #8

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Read it all. Still not convinced by anything. Staying stock until the cats out of the bag.

jsnyng

Reaction score
I still think there is a lot of conjecture going on, and there is no authoritative answer out there. There are some smart people with smart opinions, but I'm betting only Ford knows the real cause of the issues.

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I still think there is a lot of conjecture going on, and there is no authoritative answer out there. There are some smart people with smart opinions, but I'm betting only Ford knows the real cause of the issues.

If they even know

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It's not happening strock so as far as ford is concerned there is no problem.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I really wish 5.0 and Super Fords or one of the other Mustang mags would do some investigation.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why would they? honestly there arent that many that have popped.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think we're getting shit figured out in the other thread that has already beat this to death.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma. Those that drive their car hard tend to not leave them stock. Very few modded cars have had #8 pop. Finding a stock car that's been driven hard enough to pop #8 (if possible) will be like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Google how EGT works
EGT probe on cylinder 8 primary tube
Profit?

Also, perhaps coolant reroute needs to go into development, although I doubt Ford hasnt already optimized it as far as it can go without resorting to an exotic race engine design.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Google how EGT works
EGT probe on cylinder 8 primary tube
Profit?

Also, perhaps coolant reroute needs to go into development, although I doubt Ford hasnt already optimized it as far as it can go without resorting to an exotic race engine design.

If I remember right, each head has a freeze plug at the back of them. I'd think something could be relatively easily developed to allow coolant free passage through each head, rather than dead heading in them.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of BS from a people who don't even own the cars, have less than 100 posts on the forum. They are just pulling stuff out of their ass.. there are 5 threads on each forum for every 1 piston failure.. it's rare, nothing most people should even worry about, only common denominator has been 93 octane tunes. how many cases are there? 6 of these? and these knuckleheads probably haven't worked on any of the 5.0's that blew it before or afterward, what makes them think they are an authority? I see a ton of people signing up in the past couple of months to throw their 2 cents on the subject i doubt many of them even own a mustang, let alone a 5.0.

a little shy of the 5.0 because of the #8 piston issue? get a 91 tune and run 93 octane. or just 91 if you want since those don't seem to be having issues.

The idea that they are "maxed out from the factory" is just insane, the same people keep spouting the same ridiculous nonsense and they have no clue. especially when the vast majority of people with tuned N/A 5.0s aren't seeing this problem.

Last edited:

Skunk

Reaction score
Have we thought about these people getting 93 perf tunes and only running 91 or even worse 87?

The approach I'm personally taking...I will be putting the NGK one step colder than stock plugs in tonight. I'm not running anything that necessarily justifies the use of a colder plug, but it could help with the possible detonation issue that FEW are seeing.

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Have we thought about these people getting 93 perf tunes and only running 91 or even worse 87?

The approach I'm personally taking...I will be putting the NGK one step colder than stock plugs in tonight. I'm not running anything that necessarily justifies the use of a colder plug, but it could help with the possible detonation issue that FEW are seeing.

Where did you buy the plugs from? and what kind of ngks are they? i need some too. Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back