The cold is coming, is your intercooler ready?

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Time once again for my warning about frozen intercoolers for you "warm weather" guys, due to unsually cold temps across the country any of you running plain water or water wetter need to either drain them, find warm storage or get a 50/50 antifreeze mix in your systems before you end up with a cracked intercooler.

Happens every time we have these cold snaps.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
While I believe it's important to do a summer and winter vent for IC fluid, a 50/50 blend is overkill. In fact, I've tested a 75% water mix and it was just as good as the 50/50. I would suggest to everyone to get a coolant tester and only put in as much glycol as you need.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Does not look cold in Florida. Didn't we have this conversation allready Steve? Also no Intercooller needed for a Carburated Car!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I'm ready for the Polar Vortex! We had 30 ft waves at Jaws yesterday and night time temps have been as low as 68'. Brrrrr.... Can't wait to race next week.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
While I believe it's important to do a summer and winter vent for IC fluid, a 50/50 blend is overkill. In fact, I've tested a 75% water mix and it was just as good as the 50/50. I would suggest to everyone to get a coolant tester and only put in as much glycol as you need.

25% antifreeze may not be enough for everyone since that only protects to about ten degrees.

-Steve

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
25% antifreeze may not be enough for everyone since that only protects to about ten degrees.

-Steve
I tested this blend to well below zero in a freezer. the brand of glycol and the water itself actually matter. That's why I never use charts but an actual tester or a test.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I tested this blend to well below zero in a freezer. the brand of glycol and the water itself actually matter. That's why I never use charts but an actual tester or a test.

I live in Minnesota, I've seen first hand the effects of an improper coolant mixture. I also worked in service for years before moving to parts so I've used plenty of coolant testers.

The 25% mix might be okay in Texas but it's a guaranteed frozen cooling system up here and in many parts of the country. The 50/50 mix is widely known to be the optimal blend for freeze and boil protection along with proper lubrication and corrosion protection. Just doesn't make sense to use any other concentration.

-Steve

Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score

Captain fucking science engineer! I'd go with the 50/50 mix. But then again, I only live in an area of the country that gets that cold every year, I'm not a scientician.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Here in Oklahoma it's been under freezing for the last few days. Now they are talking about snow for the weekend. Mustangs get tucked away in the headed garage and the bronco has to do all the work.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota, I've seen first hand the effects of an improper coolant mixture. I also worked in service for years before moving to parts so I've used plenty of coolant testers.

The 25% mix might be okay in Texas but it's a guaranteed frozen cooling system up here and in many parts of the country. The 50/50 mix is widely known to be the optimal blend for freeze and boil protection along with proper lubrication and corrosion protection. Just doesn't make sense to use any other concentration.

-Steve
I used that mixture in Oklahoma when I lived there too. Again, test the mixture before you use it. The fact is that glycol does not cool as well as water does, and a 50/50 mix is waaaaaay overkill for most people. Use what you need to with a good margin of safety, but test it to be sure. That's all I'm saying.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back