The inevitable discussion.. 6.2 swap.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
So, this is discussion has been mulled around here for a few weeks.. And, I've started looking at the 6.2 liter mule that's in the new F150 and Raptor.

What I originally hoped, was that Ford made it similar to the 4.6/5.4 family. A set of 4 valve heads on the big bore 6.2 block would be killer.. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. The decks are completely different this time around, so, there won't be any swapping back/forth. The new 6.2 is a completely different engine, with no siblings. :(

m5lp_1003_16_o+50_coyote_engine+coyote_block_deck.jpg

5.0 block..

m5lp_1009_07_o+ford_62_liter_engine+iron_block.jpg

6.2 block..

So, a 4 valve 6.2 isn't a possibility right now.. I think we'll see Ford produce one in the future, though. Maybe for limited run, or possibly production in a upcoming GT500/Cobra project. But, for now, we're limited to the 2 valve heads. And, this time around, they don't suck as bad as the old 4.6/5.4 2 valve heads. Apparently, these things flow VERY well. So much so, that a race team was able to get around 750-800bhp out of one, naturally aspirated, and running on E85.

m5lp_1009_03_o+ford_62_liter_engine+ford_experimental.jpg

This is Don Bowles 7 liter bored/stroked engine, based on the 6.2. The casting was made thicker just for this application, but, from what I've been told, there's enough meat in a production block to safely go to around 6.8 liters with the same stroker crank.

The heads flow nicely for 2 valves, and there's some serious power to be had. VCT will also help once bigger cams are ground for this head. These things use monsterous 2.1" intake and 1.65" exhaust valves.. The heads are also cast so that there's a VERY straight shot from the port flange to the combustion chamber. And, the chamber looks a lot like the old Boss 429 "semi-hemi" heads from back in the day.

m5lp_1009_08_o+ford_62_liter_engine+combustion_chamber.jpg

As far as the mounting points.. they are supposed to be the same as the 5.0 block.. which is the same as the 4.6/5.4 block. :) Also, the bell housing shares the same pattern as the 5.0, and all other modular Ford engines. This means that getting this engine in, and a trans behind it will be as easy as bolting it right in.

I think we'll see the capability of this engine exposed over the next few years, as they become prominent in junkyards. I think we'll see the possibility of 600whp, pump gas big bore/stroker 6.2's running around. I HOPE that Ford makes a fixture for 4 valve heads on this block. That would be awesome!

Is this Tech enough for this section? lol.. :nana:

** Credit for the pics goes to Mustang50magazine.com **

Travis

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i think the idea of the 6.2 swap is cool...but the 5.0 will be the way to go for our cars.

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
Was just talking about this last month! My friend is considering some engine swap ideas and I suggested the new 6.2. It's way different and certainly unique. Probably not as fiscally reasonable as doing a 5.0 swap, but screw it! lol

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure a 6.2 4v head would fit between the strut towers on a mustang without modification even if they did make them down the road.

Last edited:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
This is what people said about doing 5.4 swaps years ago.. ;)

This engine will have a lot more potential than the 5.0, I think. Time will tell.. But, the old saying still holds true.. There's no replacement for displacement.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Since it is a totally hypothetical discussion, no, its not staying in the 5.0 section.

Jesus.. how fucking petty do you have to be?

And, it's not a "5.0 section", it's a 2011 Mustang section. If discussing powerplant changes isn't technical enough, then I don't know what is. I got your damn point about the intake manifold.. This is just flat out stupid.

I was told to visit this site because it didn't have any of the BS associated with other Mustang sites. Apparently, that's not the case. There was no reason to move this thread, other than to piss me off.

Travis

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jesus.. how fucking petty do you have to be?

And, it's not a "5.0 section", it's a 2011 Mustang section. If discussing powerplant changes isn't technical enough, then I don't know what is. I got your damn point about the intake manifold.. This is just flat out stupid.

I was told to visit this site because it didn't have any of the BS associated with other Mustang sites. Apparently, that's not the case. There was no reason to move this thread, other than to piss me off.

Travis

It has nothing to do with being petty, please grow up, it has to do with maintaining the core philosophies of this board. Since you're a member here for a whole 2 months I really don't expect you to understand.

I made no point about the intake manifold so IDK what you are referring to there.

And your point about BS is EXACTLY why the thread was moved.

Travis you apparently have not read our rules.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27605

This section is for discussion of Technical related issues on the new 2011 Mustang and Coyote 5.0L 32V motors.
The name of the section is:

http://s197forum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=74

If you don't appreciate how the board operates I'm sorry, it's operated this way long before you got here and will do long after we are both gone from here.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
^^^^ HAHAHA that is fucking hilarious! He was kissing some ass huh. I thought there was a guy trying to do the swap and and posting shit about it and it wouldnt fit for some reason??

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
The radiator support needed to be relocated, don't see that as a deal breaker. [EDIT] I should have said lower support and I think it could have been modified without relocating the radiator itself. Worse case scenario I think he could have tilted the radiator if he needed more clearance, but the issue was the harmonic balancer sitting on the cross bracket if I remember correctly, not that big of a deal to fix.

Last edited:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Grow up? I'm 30 years old, and have been in this industry for over 10 years. I've paid my dues.. I don't needs some "nobody" on a car forum to tell me to grow up, simply because he has a hard on with his mod powers. You moved this thread to be petty. Simple as that.

This all started when I posted about buying a Boss intake manifold in the tech section. I put pricing and a link that was 100+ bucks cheaper than any vendor on this site. It quickly got moved.. Yet, you allow vendors to post pricing/links, as long as they throw a little "tech" into thier posts.. Whatever, that's fine.. It wasn't that big of a deal.

Then, you go and move this thread, being petty.. simply because I posted "Is this tech enough", at the bottom of the page. How is a potential engine swap thread not "tech"?! By your own definition of the section.. the tech section is:

This section is for discussion of Technical related issues on the new 2011 Mustang AND Coyote 5.0L 32V motors.

So, by your own definition, anything "technical" pertaining to the new 2011 Mustang AND/OR the 5.0 engine should be in that section. So, explain to me again how the technical discussion of the 6.2, and it's possible swap into the 2011+ GT isn't "tech" material?

Expand the damn section, to include a "talk" subforum or something, instead of being a damn stick in the mud, and running off folks who actually know something.

Travis

It has nothing to do with being petty, please grow up, it has to do with maintaining the core philosophies of this board. Since you're a member here for a whole 2 months I really don't expect you to understand.

I made no point about the intake manifold so IDK what you are referring to there.

And your point about BS is EXACTLY why the thread was moved.

Travis you apparently have not read our rules.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27605

The name of the section is:

http://s197forum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=74

If you don't appreciate how the board operates I'm sorry, it's operated this way long before you got here and will do long after we are both gone from here.

The radiator support needed to be relocated, don't see that as a deal breaker. [EDIT] I should have said lower support and I think it could have been modified without relocating the radiator itself. Worse case scenario I think he could have tilted the radiator if he needed more clearance, but the issue was the harmonic balancer sitting on the cross bracket if I remember correctly, not that big of a deal to fix.

Do you have a link or any other info? I'm eyeballing a 6.2 out of a wrecked F150. We do all sorts of crazy engine swaps, so, this wouldn't be anything new. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
While I will say that getting upset wont accomplish anything Trav, I do agree with you.

This most certainly is tech. Just because its theoretical doesnt mean it isnt tech.
How about the thread the other day where we were discussing the implications of overlap lowering dynamic compression while maintain high quench and its effectiveness compared to low compression pistons?
All that shit is very theoretical, and technical...

I guess on this forum its only "tech" if it involves physically turning wrenches. So I guess "Hey guys I put this here intake on in 20 minutes with my trusty screwdriver" is considered "tech", while discussion of a motor swap is "chit chat"...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back