The twin turbo build begins...

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
Damn Matt! That would be crazy, though, I was looking forward to the TT 5.4L

I'm just not convinced that the 5.4 can live for long periods of time (at least a season), at the power level that I'd like to be at. I'm also not convinced that the 5.4 can be competitive in Outlaw 10.5 racing, which I'd eventually like to get into. Sure, MMR has went 6.99 at 203 mph, which is awesome, but the leaders in that class are going much faster than that now. The big block push rod stuff has been around for a long time and has been tested and proven over and over again.

It also helps that I can get the above motor for about the same money if not a little less than I can build a 5.4 for.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm just not convinced that the 5.4 can live for long periods of time (at least a season), at the power level that I'd like to be at. I'm also not convinced that the 5.4 can be competitive in Outlaw 10.5 racing, which I'd eventually like to get into. Sure, MMR has went 6.99 at 203 mph, which is awesome, but the leaders in that class are going much faster than that now. The big block push rod stuff has been around for a long time and has been tested and proven over and over again.

It also helps that I can get the above motor for about the same money if not a little less than I can build a 5.4 for.

Oh, I understood why you were thinking going that way, just would be bad ass and unique with the TT 5.4L. Either way I'm sure you'll put together a fast mo fo!

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
5c8fb21b.jpg

Might be putting this bad boy in the car ( minus the blower). It's a 604 ci BBF with aluminum block, AR hemi heads, aluminum rods, and all the goodies. At 11.7:1 with twin 88s and alcohol as fuel, it would make a ton of power.

:highfive:

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ I guarantee one of those motors would cost a lot more than the one I posted above. I know that Kaase is a great engine builder, but I've got a guy local to me that is a big block guru. Plus, the Boss 9 heads aren't quite as good as the pro-stock hemi heads.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ I guarantee one of those motors would cost a lot more than the one I posted above. I know that Kaase is a great engine builder, but I've got a guy local to me that is a big block guru. Plus, the Boss 9 heads aren't quite as good as the pro-stock hemi heads.

Are you talking about Lem and Charlie? They are in Kentucky.

I know them from 429-460.com

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
For a number of reasons, I've decided that I'm gonna ditch the mod motor and go with the big block Ford motor pictured above. Before anyone asks, most of my 5.4 parts will be going in another shop car or will be sold here locally, but I'll let you guys know if any other parts come up for sale.

Here is some more info on the motor:

604 CID
4.50" bore
4.75" stroke
Alan Root aluminum block with 11.200" deck height and front gear/magneto drive
Brooks aluminum rods
Bryant billet crank
Arias forged pistons for compression ratio of 11.7:1
Alan Root aluminum hemi heads with 2.40" titanium intake valves and 1.90" titanium exhaust valves
Dry sump oiling system
Comp 948 valve springs
Comp lifters
Alan Root roller rockers

I still need to spec a turbo cam and possibly switch out the exhaust valves for Inconel valves. I also need to find a sheet metal intake.

With twin 88mm turbos this motor should be capable of close to 3000 hp if I ever decide to really turn it up.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well Matt - I understand your reasons and best of luck with it, I look forward to the final product with great anticipation.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
For a number of reasons, I've decided that I'm gonna ditch the mod motor and go with the big block Ford motor pictured above. Before anyone asks, most of my 5.4 parts will be going in another shop car or will be sold here locally, but I'll let you guys know if any other parts come up for sale.

Here is some more info on the motor:

604 CID
4.50" bore
4.75" stroke
Alan Root aluminum block with 11.200" deck height and front gear/magneto drive
Brooks aluminum rods
Bryant billet crank
Arias forged pistons for compression ratio of 11.7:1
Alan Root aluminum hemi heads with 2.40" titanium intake valves and 1.90" titanium exhaust valves
Dry sump oiling system
Comp 948 valve springs
Comp lifters
Alan Root roller rockers

I still need to spec a turbo cam and possibly switch out the exhaust valves for Inconel valves. I also need to find a sheet metal intake.

With twin 88mm turbos this motor should be capable of close to 3000 hp if I ever decide to really turn it up.

That's gonna be a good time. Goodluck with the assembly and build

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, the Bogarts are sold. I'm in the process of picking out new wheels.

Here are the choices for the front:

1) Weld Aluma Star 2.0 polished 15x3.5"
weldfrontpolished.jpg

2) Weld Aluma Star 2.0 black 15x3.5"
weldfrontblack.jpg

3) Billet Specialties Comp 5 polished 15x3.5"
comp5frontpolishedrim.jpg

4) Billet Specialties Comp 5 black 15x3.5"
comp5frontblack.jpg

5) Billet Specialties Comp 5 2-piece polished 15x3.5"
comp5front2piece.jpg

6) Billet Specialties Street Lite polished 15x3.5"
billetspecialitiesstreetlitefront.jpg

Here are the choices for rear:

1) Weld Aluma Star 2.0 Black Beadlock 15x10"
weldrearblack.jpg

2) Weld Aluma Star 2.0 Gold Beadlock 15x10"
weldreargold.jpg

3) Billet Specialties Comp 5 Black Beadlock 15x10"
comp5rearblackrim-1.jpg

4) Billet Specialties Street Lite Black Beadlock 15x10"
billetspecialtiesstreetliterear.jpg

I think I'm leaning towards #2 for the front and #3 for the rear. Rear tires will be a Mickey Thompson 33x10.5W-15" ET Drag Slick. Front tires will be either a Mickey Thompson ET front 28x4.5-15" or 29x4.5-15"

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
I'm also considering deleting the side stripes and possibly the racing stripes

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for Weld Aluma Star 2.0

remove the side stripe, keep the over the top racing stripe, :2cents:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back