Thinking about buying a 05 get manual 5sp buy need help

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
Okay guys this car has 92k miles plugs never been changed nor have the coil packs. Okay I will start with this the car idles smooth but as you drive and climb in rpm it runs rough like misfire it also feels like it loses power it does this in every gear as you climb in rpm it gets worse but 5th gear takes the cake if you try to go up a hill and give it some gas it really gets bad. Is it plugs and coil packs? It has no check engine light. Okay problem 2 it's a tad notchy between 2-3 3-4 shifts it might have very very slight grind. Okay now say I'm doing 20mph or so in second gear and come to a red light and let out of the gas and let the transmission slow the car down instead of the breaks, it's noisy and makes a awful noise. Any advice would help guys!!! Thanks

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How long on the BBR tune? Pull the plugs and see what you have, go from there.

Tranny sounds like it is due for a freshening.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
Tune 3yrs old, plugs are factory never been changed, cop same. I am wanting to buy my old car back but it has these issues the seller is trying to fix it. So is the tranny shot or would syncromesh fix it?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune 3yrs old, plugs are factory never been changed, cop same. I am wanting to buy my old car back but it has these issues the seller is trying to fix it. So is the tranny shot or would syncromesh fix it?

Would not buy back until a shop compression tested/leak down tested. The tranny needs a rebuild, not fluid.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What if I told you he priced it to me for 7k

That tells you that the motor is hurt and the tranny needs a rebuild.

Still, you can pick up a decent engine off fleabay for 2 to 2.5k and TR-6060's in the 2 to 2.5 range used or rebuild the 3650 for less. If the body and interior aren't trashed and you can put some sweat equity into it, might be worth it.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
I can tell the motor is fine it is very quite ect it's an ignition issue. The reason for 7k is that's pay off on his loan, he is in the military he is getting relocated. I will do a leak down and comp test. He is doing plugs today and packs of he can find a place that has them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd definitely buy that for 7000. Worth at least 10. Replace what's broken in the 3650 for a couple hundred dollars, do the plugs, done.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
cop dont have to be changed ubkess they go bad, its the plugs that need changing depending on how well the tune is dictates how often to change them. i just did mine at 40/45k miles and they were pretty gnarly.

i'd say grab it and fix it, a used 3650 can be found fir dirt cheap and the engine who knows til you can grt an indepth look into it

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Hope he has read the TSB for doing the plugs. If not, he is in for a surprise. I agree that a 3650 can be picked up very cheap.

Car looks decent from the pic.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Okay guys this car has 92k miles plugs never been changed nor have the coil packs. Okay I will start with this the car idles smooth but as you drive and climb in rpm it runs rough like misfire it also feels like it loses power it does this in every gear as you climb in rpm it gets worse but 5th gear takes the cake if you try to go up a hill and give it some gas it really gets bad. Is it plugs and coil packs? It has no check engine light. Okay problem 2 it's a tad notchy between 2-3 3-4 shifts it might have very very slight grind. Okay now say I'm doing 20mph or so in second gear and come to a red light and let out of the gas and let the transmission slow the car down instead of the breaks, it's noisy and makes a awful noise. Any advice would help guys!!! Thanks

My advice would be to look for another car. This one could very quickly become a money pit and there's no guarantee that you won't uncover other problems that'll drain your wallet.
Worn gearbox synchros and old plugs could be just the tip of the iceberg.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back