Third oil change, tick came back after being gone.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
You've definitely helped Cid. Funny thing is you've said from the beginning the only way to fix this was with a new engine, I just didn't think this noise was that serious. If you check out the02stangman you'll see his post with the update. Do you mind telling me what the procedure is for getting an engineer to come out and see my car?

Every time an engineer came out for me it was because the dealer didn't know what to do, and they requested that the engineer come. Perhaps you could ask your dealer to request it.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
My car always had a little bit of a tick at idle, within the last 500 miles or so it started to get louder and it started ticking between idle and 1500 rpm even louder and faster.

Took it the the dealer 2 days ago. They tell me theyre "replacing the water pump", which I take to mean that theyre replacing the pump, tensioner, and belt as listed in the TSB.
Hopefully that will be the ticket.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
There is some confusion between ticks, knocks, and rattles. These engines seem to do it all. The sound I'm speaking of you can't hear when it's just idling. I have to rev the motor right past 2k rpm's and I can hear a metallic rattle sound. Very similiar to like a pinging sound. I can replicate the sound both under load and while stationary if I just rev it. If you look on the first page you'll see a video I posted up of a blue mustang. I have the same exact noise and symptoms as him. It gets louder after oil changes. They replaced my timing cover also and this particular noise is still present. The timing cover fixes what sounded like a knock coming from the back of the passenger side head which my car also had.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My motor makes all sorts of weird sounds, and none of them are consistent (or even that loud). I don't care anymore, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who ever notices them. I'm going to continue driving the piss out of my car, and if the engine blows up in the next 40,000 miles of abuse, I'll get it replaced under warranty. If it blows up after that, I'll drop an Aluminator or BOSS in it. Whatever.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
My motor makes all sorts of weird sounds, and none of them are consistent (or even that loud). I don't care anymore, because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who ever notices them. I'm going to continue driving the piss out of my car, and if the engine blows up in the next 40,000 miles of abuse, I'll get it replaced under warranty. If it blows up after that, I'll drop an Aluminator or BOSS in it. Whatever.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm sure it will be a hassle trying to get them to replace a whole motor at this point so I was thinking about the MMR forged setup. The problem is I wanted to start modding, I was even looking at a supercharger and if it blew up now they would certainly blame it on the mods.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm sure it will be a hassle trying to get them to replace a whole motor at this point so I was thinking about the MMR forged setup. The problem is I wanted to start modding, I was even looking at a supercharger and if it blew up now they would certainly blame it on the mods.
NO.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
There is some confusion between ticks, knocks, and rattles. These engines seem to do it all. The sound I'm speaking of you can't hear when it's just idling. I have to rev the motor right past 2k rpm's and I can hear a metallic rattle sound. Very similiar to like a pinging sound. I can replicate the sound both under load and while stationary if I just rev it. If you look on the first page you'll see a video I posted up of a blue mustang. I have the same exact noise and symptoms as him. It gets louder after oil changes. They replaced my timing cover also and this particular noise is still present. The timing cover fixes what sounded like a knock coming from the back of the passenger side head which my car also had.

Actually, the ignitor tick can sometimes happen at idle. Mine did, particularly if you loaded the engine a little by turning the AC on. Here's an example (not my car):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Really? Dang, I'm glad I'm seeing this because I was seriously considering plopping down $2k next year at tax time for this.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update, after calling ford customer care and explaining the situation to them they called me back and made a case number for me. They said they couldn't call out an engineer just yet, that there is a certain protocol they have to follow first before that step. So I made another appointment with the dealer. I think I am pissing them off in the process when they've been really good and helpful to me thus far.

The lady from ford care asked me what I expected to get out of ford by calling that line. I told her all I wanted was a definitive answer as to what is making the noise.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Got my car back today with a new water pump. Ticking is gone.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Well, after taking the car back to the dealer and having to take a day off to replicate the noise for the tech and them acknowledging it they gave me back the car today saying the noise is normal. They claim a customer's car was in the shop and it made the same noise from the same side. I didn't see the car or get to hear it and when I asked to they said the tech who could show me was gone.

I told the writer if it's the same noise they might all need motors. They couldn't tell me what was causing the noise though. Ford customer care goes by what this dealer tells them. I mentioned to the dealer to change the oil and the noise is really loud and pronounced which they didn't feel the need to do. I feel I'm getting the run around at this point. Next step?

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
CID did ford or anyone ever tell you what the cause or your engine noise was?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back