Third oil change, tick came back after being gone.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 f150 5.0 has the same tick out of the passenger side head. It is very noticable after the engine has been warmed up. The sound is present from idle to 2100rpm. My brother-in-law has a platium f150 5.0 and its twice as loud as mine. My truck now has 1700miles his has 43000. For this soul reason is why I am not modding my truck yet that way Ford won't have a leg to stand on when or if things do fail

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
My 2012 f150 5.0 has the same tick out of the passenger side head. It is very noticable after the engine has been warmed up. The sound is present from idle to 2100rpm. My brother-in-law has a platium f150 5.0 and its twice as loud as mine. My truck now has 1700miles his has 43000. For this soul reason is why I am not modding my truck yet that way Ford won't have a leg to stand on when or if things do fail
Theres a TSB for timing chain guides. I suggest you both go get them taken care of.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
I've had that tsb done. The issue is it specifies the tensioner for the driver's side and the noise on my car is coming from the passenger side. I also had the timing cover replaced which is another tsb.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Little update, after going back and forth to several dealers and we recently moved so this issue got put on the back burner until now and having no results. First they tried telling me its a normal engine characteristic, then they're saying engineering knows about it and are working on a fix without an eta. Another guy on YouTube just got his engine replaced for this same exact noise and ford told him it was a bad wrist pin in cyl 2.

Again another engine replaced having something to do with cyl 2. So I filed suit and we'll see where this gets me. All I wanted is for an engineer to come and look at my vehicle and tell me what was making the noise. If this is a normal engine characteristic why don't they all make This noise? I'm so sick of this crap, I'm starting to hate this car.

jaguarking11

Reaction score
No to stir the pot, nor trying to discount the complaints.

However all OHC engines have some form of a tick. Some are due to lower viscosity oil or extended oil changes some are due to manufacturing tolerances.

I can say this, the 3v sounds like a freaking sewing machine. The 5.0 ticks when cold, almost every 5.0 has some tick when cold, at least every one that I listened to. The oil we use is basically water, good thing there are 8 quarts of it.

Another thing I have to say about these engine noises is that most owners take it very easy on the engine the first few k miles. This is wrong, increase load on the thing with every mile that passes, if you have not done a few high load high stress runs by 500miles your signing yourself up for a very very long break in period. As a testament, my 3v I took it way too easy on it. The engine did not feel broken in until about 12-14k miles. The 5.0 I was putting more and more load on it from the day I got it. By 500miles I was doing wot runs and allowing cool off time between runs. by comparison it consumes less fuel than 3v on average and feels strong through the rev range as it should.

If you guys think ticking is a big concern, your reading too many bad experiences, no use going nuts over them. If you want to hear tick, try listening to bmw I6 engines. Couple tolerances that are slack + thick oil + extended maintenance intervals. Those things sometimes sound like tractor engines. Get over it and enjoy your vehicle. If it breaks send it back and get it fixed on fords dime. If its a real issue it will show itself before the 60k drivetrain warranty is up, otherwise enjoy it for the next 200k+ miles.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
This engine certainly makes sounds/noises that are considered normal OHC internal combustion engine sounds, like the injector tick etc. The noise I speak of is not normal, or normal sounding. I can drive down the street and my neighbors from a few houses away who knows nothing about cars asks me what's wrong with my car.

I love my car, the way it looks, the power, but this weird noise is not something you expect to hear coming from a mustang. It's embarrassing. It's not a normal noise, and def sounds like something is not right. I think ford knows what it is but wont put out a recall because they'll have thousands of cars and trucks come in for this.

Last edited:

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score

I know this is old, but my car has had a "tick" like described on the passenger side. It is now quiet and I'd like to share my experience.

Late January 2012 build 2012 GT. About 34k miles right now.

First I added Redline Break In Oil additive (whole bottle; 16 oz.) to oil that needed to be changed in about 1,000 miles. The engine quieted down considerably. I then did an oil change and the engine was quiet (noise basically gone; same amount of noise...normal OHC/VCT noise... as the driver side). I then added about half a bottle (~8 oz.) of Redline Break In Oil additive and the engine quieted down entirely (passenger and driver side) to the point of very, very faint OHC/VCT ticking/tapping.

The noise I had, I tracked down to something in the exhaust-side valvetrain of the passenger side cylinder head, near the rear or middle of that head. Like mentioned, the noise would only came after the engine warms and between idle and 2,100 RPM.

What I did may or may not work for others. Might be worth a try though ($13) and it wont hurt anything unless (MAYBE) you have terrible oil migration into your intake or blow-by (catalytic converter contamination due to the ZN and P).

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back