This just happened an hour ago... tell me if it is totaled?

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinions on this:
Get an attorney. Will make your ride through this a lot smoother.
It will make it all go much slower.
Unless you have injuries (and I do concur on the waiting a day or two before deciding), no lawyer is going to be interested in taking up just the car damage. If you do get an attorney, everything has to go through them, which slows the process of getting paid down.A.Lot.

Real injuries, yes, I don't dispute having someone looking out for you. No injuries (a bruise here or there doesn't count) and just a totaled car? Don't bother. Whatever mediocre difference you may get will be eaten up by attorney fees.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you have injuries (and I do concur on the waiting a day or two before deciding), no lawyer is going to be interested in taking up just the car damage. If you do get an attorney, everything has to go through them, which slows the process of getting paid down.A.Lot.

Real injuries, yes, I don't dispute having someone looking out for you. No injuries (a bruise here or there doesn't count) and just a totaled car? Don't bother. Whatever mediocre difference you may get will be eaten up by attorney fees.

Most attorney situations I have heard about, the office handles the car being totaled also. The Attorney I went to, let me handle the car part. And made sure I didn't need any assistance. I was shocked how well that part went with my insurance company. The attorneys office handled the medical expenses, etc....

And yes, things can be slowed down.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I did this to mine and they fixed it

900x900_zps98a8d136.jpg

larry's roush

Still learning
Reaction score
That much side sway this things a total. Inner fender rails and aprons that where things get expensive.Weld on pieces and frame pulls is where labor hrs really add up.
Dont let the insurance company try to settle on to low number of value of car.There trying to get off cheap as possible They will use kelly blue book values.Just let them know of things you added with replacement cost and if lower miles,These are things that will help you get the most out of replacement value.
Glad to hear your okay but dont tell the insurance company your fine till you are totaly sure.Car are replacable bodies are not.

Last edited:

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, we insurance adjusters ALWAYS try to lowball on the first offer, because we enjoy dragging claims out forever while new ones pile up on our desks...

Review the car info and equipment on the valuation carefully to make sure it's accurate. Every state has different requirements for determining value. You can't make blanket statements like "they use Kelly Blue Book" because in my state we can't.

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
Like everyone else has said, its done for. But I'm glad you and your son are okay. It sucks but it did its job to the very end and kept you safe.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, we insurance adjusters ALWAYS try to lowball on the first offer, because we enjoy dragging claims out forever while new ones pile up on our desks...

Review the car info and equipment on the valuation carefully to make sure it's accurate. Every state has different requirements for determining value. You can't make blanket statements like "they use Kelly Blue Book" because in my state we can't.

Lol I need to use that one.

I know there are a few forum members who work in the industry, listen to those who do it for living, if your truly hurt get checked out, an atty is not needed, if someone comes to an adjuster two days after an accident and has an atty and no serious injuries it just taints the claim and the atty fees will eat everything and slow the procrss. Not worth the headache.

Most attys don't deal with your car damages. Did the air bags pop? Looks border line, and if thats the case most companies would total it out, I hope you have GAP.

Sent from my phone, spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of tapatalk.

Last edited:

M1L1T1A

forum member
Reaction score
Update: car is totaled, I gave a bunch of info to they're insurance company and should get a quote on Monday. Am I able to negotiate they're offer at all? How much do you guys think they will offer me for a 07 manual GT in great condition with 35,000 miles?

M1L1T1A

forum member
Reaction score
Also, what are the odds I will be able to get my rims back? I have the stock replacements...

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score

There are always good, majority yes especially if the shop has a good relationship with them. There are a few bad apples and like anything those are the ones that generate stereotypes.

I KNOW better to some extent.. just had a hail claim last year and the adjuster (seasoned guy) tried to cut me a check for a FRACTION of what the repairs were actually going to run AFTER his shitty and half-assed evaluation. I demanded another adjuster come and inspect the car AT one of their "approved" body shop and ended up being literally 5 TIMES as much. And I HATE their "approved repair locations" shit too.. who owns who here? I DO KNOW.. they probably write a ton of these checks after a large hail storm and MOST of the idiots (homeboy customers) pocket the cash and don't fix the car. They are just taking advantage of the customers greed and I am sure it pays off BIG time all said and done.. yuou know cause boyz need dem rims (customer).

Update: car is totaled, I gave a bunch of info to they're insurance company and should get a quote on Monday. Am I able to negotiate they're offer at all? How much do you guys think they will offer me for a 07 manual GT in great condition with 35,000 miles?

Also, what are the odds I will be able to get my rims back? I have the stock replacements...

I don't know about negotiating... not going to be easy unless you get the attorney involved. THEY do not own your upgraded parts.. YOU do. Possible they may give you a little for it but don't count on it. GET YOUR WHEELS BACK NOW

Last edited:

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score

Depends on your contract language... Most of the time no, only thing you can do is make sure their report is accurate. If you have stock replacements you can take your upgrades off but only if you replace them with substitutes.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
I KNOW better to some extent.. just had a hail claim last year and the adjuster (seasoned guy) tried to cut me a check for a FRACTION of what the repairs were actually going to run AFTER his shitty and half-assed evaluation. I demanded another adjuster come and inspect the car AT one of their "approved" body shop and ended up being literally 5 TIMES as much. And I HATE their "approved repair locations" shit too.. who owns who here? I DO KNOW.. they probably write a ton of these checks after a large hail storm and MOST of the idiots (homeboy customers) pocket the cash and don't fix the car. They are just taking advantage of the customers greed and I am sure it pays off BIG time all said and done.. yuou know cause boyz need dem rims (customer).

I'm not going to waste my time or high jack his thread but change the word estimate with the word guess, then go reread your original estimate. The first estimate is a starting point, if you read your estimate there is language clear as day on how a shop can call to get a supplement... if a customer gets the vehicle fixed and the shop finds additional damage or it can't be fixed with the method on the first go round they submit a supplement and as long as the shop is working within the insurance standards & the policy language the supplements will be approved. Hail is very subjective and if you had someone inspect it anywhere but a shop and not with the proper lighting you are going to get a low estimate.

This kind of misunderstanding and misinformation is the thing that makes adjuster jobs crapy, believe it or not insurance companies are not in the business (most insurance companies) of dicking people over, your not a victim, do you think the insurance companies want a bad faith lawsuit (multimillion dollar suits) not to mention losing a customer to save a few bucks?

But back to the topic at hand, I am sorry about your car but glad you and your wee one are ok. Cars are repairable or replaceable but people are what is important.

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I'm not going to waste my time or high jack his thread but change the word estimate with the word guess, then go reread your original estimate. The first estimate is a starting point, if you read your estimate there is language clear as day on how a shop can call to get a supplement... This kind of misunderstanding and misinformation is the thing that makes adjuster jobs crapy, believe it or not insurance companies are not in the business (most insurance companies) of dicking people over, your not a victim, do you think the insurance companies want a bad faith lawsuit (multimillion dollar suits) not to mention losing a customer to save a few bucks?

Me either... I just know you go to any small town and the nicest buildings will be the bank and insurance company. They do not get successful by their generosity and adjusters have to answer to a boss as well..

Nobody will protect your money better than you will. Don't just accept anything that is offered if it does not seem fair. Ask questions, trust instinct and do not settle if you have doubts. Plain and simple.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
This is what I have offered as a "food for thought" to my clients for years...

• Search NADA, Kelly and Edmunds for the high watermark
  • Search your local papers, Auto Trader and Google in your area for "As close to possible" example to your vehicle. That means condition, mileage to color. Whack about 12-15% off that now known median price (Assuming you have been honest in your search and that you had a good sampling). And watch the offer from the adjuster be in that ball park. Just because a lot or private party "Offers" a vehicle for a price, rarely does anyone actually pay that. I mean come on. We all negotiated to some extent when we buy our "Stuff".
  • Realize that there are two main type of Adjusters. One is a contractor (They work for several companies, and at times in multiple States) and the other is an employee of one Insurance company.
  • Every adjusters main purpose is a duel (Oops, I mean dual :boobies: ) edged instrument. They have a financial responsibility to make sure the rules/laws are followed and that a person does not get paid more or less than the loss warrants (Language of the contract). This is not just in the best interest of the insurance company, it is also in us, the consumers! The bottom line here... They must be as accurate as possible in order to not have the trickle effect of the rates going to high, and at the same time prevent fraud. 98% of every adjuster I know wants the "Honest" clients to be made "Whole", and the punks that rip us all off get nothing.
  • Recognize that even though you do all your research, it does not mean that "Your" loss is not going to be impacted by the local market, how the auctions are doing, and the choice each company makes on what metric they use. Private party sales or lots (As a simple term so to speak)
  • If any "Major" mechanical work has been done in the last year, gather those receipts and get them to your adjuster (New tires, Engine work, Transmission ETC).
  • The Adjuster has to recreate what the condition was of said vehicle before the accident. Take the market, subtract condition, add a % of value to any major work done to it, and be as fair as possible.

P.S. Many adjusters allow for folks to go get what they want out of a vehicle, in a small window of time. Because once the decision is made to total it, the process from that moment to when the wrecking yard effectively becomes the owner of said vehicle is pretty quick.

Good luck!

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Only thing I can add to all of the above, awesome posts....

To get a good idea of the value of my Jeep when it was totaled, I used Craigslist. Told me about how the market had changed over the last 10 years. Told me what I could fight for. Luckily their offer was so unexpectedly high, I had no fight. First time out of 4 vehicles I had experience with.

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
S197Probie brings the tech. Nice post.

You can swap parts out provided the appraiser knows and it does not affect the value. Generally, insurance views alloy wheels as alloy wheels; we don't much care if they are OEM or aftermarket. Doesn't make much difference to the value of the car overall. Cold air intake? Adds nothing to the value; go ahead and swap it out. Just don't take something out of the car and not replace it with something...had a guy tear out (literally) his aftermarket radio, ruining the dash in the process. Not only did we gig him for no radio, we also deducted the price of a used dash, because he damaged our salvage (we pay for your car, we own it). This is why I rarely sell off my stock parts when I build a car that is street driven; swapping stuff back to stock pays me more in the long term.

As for the hail damage claim...(sigh)...if your area was hit hard by hail, and they are doing a LOT of cars, then yes, estimates tend to be written very poorly. I don't like it, but the usual mind-set of the company is "Just write something and pay them; we'll work it out later". The Ins Co wants to look like they are a hero by handling the claim quickly. The appraiser KNOWS the estimate is crap, but that's what he's told to do. I think it's stupid; it makes a hell of a lot of work cleaning it up later on supplements, but you are somewhat right...a lot of the claims wind up never getting fixed, so the Ins Co saves big money. But, if you fix the car, they will deal with the big supplement when the time comes. This mess usually happens under 'catastrophe' rules and when you're looking at writing literally thousands of cars like we did a few years ago in Arizona, you quickly learn not to care too much about accuracy. Get 'em in, get 'em out. I write hail claims very differently when I've only got 10 of them to do.

M1L1T1A

forum member
Reaction score
Update no.2: Her insurance offered me way more than I thought! Looks like I am going to be in a coyote very soon. which do you think is better : a 2011 gt. Brembo package with 30000 miles or a 2013 base model gt with 20000 miles?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Depends on other options. I prefer upgraded vehicles but if brakes are the only difference then you can swap brakes on the 13 and have a vehicle 2 years newer. This will work in your favor when you trade it in 5 years.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Update no.2: Her insurance offered me way more than I thought! Looks like I am going to be in a coyote very soon. which do you think is better : a 2011 gt. Brembo package with 30000 miles or a 2013 base model gt with 20000 miles?

Need more details...

Colors and options you prefer?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back