This just happened an hour ago... tell me if it is totaled?

M1L1T1A

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you are alright... who is at fault? I ask as I was rearended in a previous stang and was able to keep them from totaling it by proving to the other person's insurance that the car was worth more than simply bluebook. I just faxed the receipts for the motor, trans, suspension, and body mods... no questions after that, they just sent a check to get it fixed.

Since you don't need it any more, can I have your power steering rack? :)

Sorry, Amika insurance owns it now.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us how much they offered you?

And for the experts, what's the option of buying the car back? Especially when there's a motor, supercharger, fuel system, suspension, etc., involved that can't be swapped back to stock.

ddavidv

forum member
Reaction score
"Buy-back" is referred to in our world as "retention". The insurers sell 99% of their cars at salvage auctions, so what they will do is get an estimate from the auction on what the car would likely bring based on it's value, damage estimate and where it was hit. That number gets deducted from the payout to the owner. It should also be noted that in my state, since the owner is keeping the car, they are also not paid the applicable sales tax or tag fees on a retention either. This can all add up to a substantial difference, so you've got to weigh the difference carefully if it's worth it or not.

Oddly, there's a GT at my local IAA with a supercharger, Wilwood brakes and who-knows-what-else. The thing looks repairable to me, and I'm surprised the owner just let it go. Probably too costly to buy and part out, and it's not a color I want so I'll pass, but I'm going to try to find out what it sells for as I'm curious.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Update no.2: Her insurance offered me way more than I thought! Looks like I am going to be in a coyote very soon. which do you think is better : a 2011 gt. Brembo package with 30000 miles or a 2013 base model gt with 20000 miles?

2013... Less bugs (Ford fixes), and a lot of body touches than many do to their 2010-2012's.

Like others have said... The extra two years at trade in time makes a difference.

Also... Maybe I am off my rocker... But I think the 2013-2014 GT's and 2013 302's are going to become the most desired 10-15 years from now. And in 25-30, very attractive to the collectors and restorers...

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
"Buy-back" is referred to in our world as "retention". The insurers sell 99% of their cars at salvage auctions, so what they will do is get an estimate from the auction on what the car would likely bring based on it's value, damage estimate and where it was hit. That number gets deducted from the payout to the owner. It should also be noted that in my state, since the owner is keeping the car, they are also not paid the applicable sales tax or tag fees on a retention either. This can all add up to a substantial difference, so you've got to weigh the difference carefully if it's worth it or not.

Oddly, there's a GT at my local IAA with a supercharger, Wilwood brakes and who-knows-what-else. The thing looks repairable to me, and I'm surprised the owner just let it go. Probably too costly to buy and part out, and it's not a color I want so I'll pass, but I'm going to try to find out what it sells for as I'm curious.

Also be very careful with buyback find out the storage fees! I had a truck that was worth about $5k, was easily fixable body damage but due to what it was worth it was "totaled". I was going to buy back and just fix msyelf, by time I got teh buyback quote the storage fees were over a grand!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Also be very careful with buyback find out the storage fees! I had a truck that was worth about $5k, was easily fixable body damage but due to what it was worth it was "totaled". I was going to buy back and just fix msyelf, by time I got teh buyback quote the storage fees were over a grand!

This is why I had my car towed to my house and it's sitting in my driveway. When the insurance guy said they needed to get it moved ASAP I said "Absolutely not, that is not an option."

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
This is why I had my car towed to my house and it's sitting in my driveway. When the insurance guy said they needed to get it moved ASAP I said "Absolutely not, that is not an option."

I like your thinking...

I drove home or now have my stuff towed home, to give me time to get my extra stuff out.

Back