Time to hit the track

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
For most of us fall and winter brings snow, rain, and all those great gifts that put our cars in hiberbnation for a few months. For those who live in Florida ( and other sunny locations ) this time of the year brings lack of humidity, cool temps, and sunny skies , ideal conditions for car fun, and track time.
With that said this year I plan to return to the track and take my S197 down the strip for the first time. I am no starnger to the strip and I know that there is one modification that can mean the difference between a great run and a really crappy run.... wheels and tires. I have seen 400rwhp cars have trouble hitting a high 12 with street tires and I have seen 300rwhp cars live in the 12s with slicks.
Now I have seen alot of different set ups for the s197 but one thing that I keep seeing is customisation in order to fit drag wheels and tires. This brings me to my first question.
Is there a bolt on drag wheel for the s197?
My next question has to do with practicality. The drag strip I go to is a bit of a drive so when ever I go I make a weekend out of it and take the wife on a trip. Lugging around two sets of wheels is not an option. Is there any tires out there that can offer good bite but also provide some street use? Nitto's drag radial is complete garbage on the strip, I have used them before.
Also is there a cheap set up some use? Like maybe a v6 wheel with a specific tire size that works??
Any help would be great.
Also pics would help as well.

Thank you all.

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
Winter is the prime time for us Floridians! I've only used 26x11.5x17 MT ET streets, which have netted me a best 1.595 60' at Orlando Speedworld which is notorious for terrible track prep. I'm thinking about going with the 275x45x18 M&H drag radials though as I am so tired of changing out tires at the track. Are you looking for a tire to run all the time? Or just a tire/wheel combo for when you decide to go to the strip?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if your going to swap them home and drive to and from..... get some 17 x 9 rims from American Muscle (like 130 each or so) and some MT 295/45/17s ET SR IIs. Stays close to stock ride height and will hook very well at the track. Just be careful after some use and heavy rain.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
if your going to swap them home and drive to and from..... get some 17 x 9 rims from American Muscle (like 130 each or so) and some MT 295/45/17s ET SR IIs. Stays close to stock ride height and will hook very well at the track. Just be careful after some use and heavy rain.

^ this sounds like a good set up.

I am not looking for an "all the time" wheel and tire set up, just a strip set up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back