to spool or not to spool?

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
Get a true trac or a Detroit locker unless you plan on trailering the car and only driving it in dry weather.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
definitely not getting that detroit locker its worse then a spool on the street. clunk clunk clunk and i meant guys if y'all know anybody with one for sale or anything like that

a truetrac that is

Last edited by a moderator:

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I have had a spool for about 6 years on my old mach1. It was better than a detroit locker car I've driven; basically the spool is much more predictable. You know exactly how tight of a corner it will hop and skip through - usually parking lots in my case - whereas the detroit was always somewhat of a surprise factor. The spool did require c clip eliminators to be installed, which was an expensive install bill. Most people I've seen claim their eliminators also leak, mine never did.

I daily drove the spool for a while and was happy to do it, but when I got my rubicon, and saw how nice it is to have push button lockers, I'm thinking the money spent wouldn't be that much different vs the spool (if you count the c clip elim install) and it would be much more streetable, with none of the downsides.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
I love my spool, but I have learned to drive around it. The cost of the spool and the eliminators was equal to the cost of a locker which isn't as strong. That being said, it isn't for everyone. Not what most people would consider "streetable". But like Fosters said, I know what it is going to do, all the time. Detroit is terrible on a street driven car. Mine wound up, wound down, clicked, clunked, and banged. Not worth doing when a spool has better street manners. But if you like the car driving like stock, trutrac.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
If there is one other advantage with the spool, is that if you break one axle shaft, you can still limp it home, or at least you won't have to push it up on a trailer. axles won't come out because they're held in at the end, and the spool will spin the other shaft no matter what. If you break both axles, then you're screwed, but the chances of that happening are small.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
well guys I just bought a truetrac so i'll let you guys know how it does at the track next week

gonna try a ET Drag for the first time as well as opposed to my radials

Last edited by a moderator:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went to a Yukon Grizzly locker (supposedly they bought the patents from the original Detroit locker and built a more friendly version) after toasting my spider gears. It definitely takes some getting used to and is noisy trying to get into parking spots and turning tight corners. It also behaves differently around corners as it will push you straight if you give it too much throttle early.
I had a detroit locker in my fox as well as a spool, the locker was liveable on the street as the fox was a noisy car but the spool was too much for me, I hated looking like I couldn't drive everytime I tried to park it and the tires scrubbed and skipped on tight corners and practically dragged on switchbacks, it made a mess of a set of 17" tires in less than 2 weeks.
At this point I wish I'd tried a truetrac in the S197 as I feel that the locker took away a lot of the street manners of the car but I'm dealing with it.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
So looking at the TrueTrac, Eaton claims it comes in 31 spline and 33 spline - http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf - do they have a 35 spline and not list it? I remember 35 splines are available from Moser and a few others, but haven't seen much in terms of lockers for those bad boys... Or is 33 spline as good as it gets? I imagine a whipple 5.0 on slicks, or a gt500 could still break a 33 spline axle... Not that I'm gonna get anywhere close to that kind of power, but I like to go overkill with stuff when upgrading :D

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well went to the track yesterday and broke my spider gears, i knew it was commin and the track was on point yesterday and a 5k clutch dump on a radial got em right there on the line. I will be most likely switching to an et drag now stiff wall slick, and just wondering what to do about my differential... I've heard true track is decent, and spool is great for the track but not so sure about the street.. car is 2010 gt mostly street car.. what do you guys think?

I had great luck with a Detroit locker when I still drove mine on the street. No spool for street use. I mean, you could if it was just a cruiser, but I wouldn't recommend it.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
So looking at the TrueTrac, Eaton claims it comes in 31 spline and 33 spline - http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf - do they have a 35 spline and not list it? I remember 35 splines are available from Moser and a few others, but haven't seen much in terms of lockers for those bad boys... Or is 33 spline as good as it gets? I imagine a whipple 5.0 on slicks, or a gt500 could still break a 33 spline axle... Not that I'm gonna get anywhere close to that kind of power, but I like to go overkill with stuff when upgrading :D

33 spline is it for the 8.8 TrueTrac and Lockers, Breaking an OE 31 spline axle isn't as common as you'd think with these heavy cars.

I'm running Strange 31 spline axles and their wheel studs and had more trouble bending rear wheel studs, I'm on my 3rd set.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
33 spline is it for the 8.8 TrueTrac and Lockers, Breaking an OE 31 spline axle isn't as common as you'd think with these heavy cars.

I'm running Strange 31 spline axles and their wheel studs and had more trouble bending rear wheel studs, I'm on my 3rd set.

Dang, that sucks. Are you able to replace em with the axles in the car or do you have to take em out each time?

You're right, the weight was the first thing that had me thinking need moar axle of doom... lol. My old mach was in the 3060 lbs race weight range, I wish I had this engine/tranny in that car...

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
well guys just got the tructrac in today and the thing definitely works, went to cut some circles multiple times and it does just as advertised.. it senses the torque and locks which makes cutting circles difficult but its nice to know your product is working as advertised. If it locks that well at the track then we are ready eddy!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back