to spool or not to spool?

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
well went to the track yesterday and broke my spider gears, i knew it was commin and the track was on point yesterday and a 5k clutch dump on a radial got em right there on the line. I will be most likely switching to an et drag now stiff wall slick, and just wondering what to do about my differential... I've heard true track is decent, and spool is great for the track but not so sure about the street.. car is 2010 gt mostly street car.. what do you guys think?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I switched to a spool in my car but it is now going to be track only next year. I would never recommend a spool in a car that is mostly street. After I broke the 2nd set of spider gears in my diff I went with a detroit locker and that worked very well for me. It held up to my car when it was still stick and then I used it for about a year after I put the 4R70W trans in.

I don't have any first hand experience with the tru track so I can't give personal experience with it, but the one thing with the locker is it takes some getting used to when going around turns...you don't want to hit the throttle or get off of it quick in turn or it will lock and/or unlock on you.

And just to add, if you are launching your car that hard I would make sure you get those axle tubes welded or you will end up twisting one and having a real bad day!!!!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Trutrac FTW! spool is a no bueno on the street.
Been a few years with 5-6k clutch dumps at the track.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
I have probably 50k street miles and over 300 passes on my TruTrac. No issues here.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no spool if mostly street

get a TruTrac

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
dysan- you actually liked the detroit locker? i heard those suck on the street constantly locking and unlocking and clunking.
but yea i'm leaning towards the true track guys i'm just hoping its strong enough to last enough to make spending the money worth it...

yea there welded up good dysan

what kind of tire are you running? and what kind of 60 ft you get?

hey guys looking around on american muscle and seen the auburn pro diffs and the ford racing torsen looks nice... which is better for the track? are they better then a true track?

Last edited by a moderator:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Forgot about anything with clutch packs/springs etc...
Clutch/spring type torsens (in most cases) won't hold up to drag racing abuse, they are more for road course work.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trutrac

/thread

search the site you'll see it's the overwhelming choice - because it works!!

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score

Been running a True Trac coming up on 2 years, Beat on it hard and it's still working.

From a couple weeks ago, 17" Hoosier slicks @15psi, TVS with a 100shot ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9hyKTWjXLM&feature=youtu.be

My best 60' has been 1.32 on a 200 shot.

I have an RXT twin disc and the upper disc has cut a groove in the pressure plate and that was making it extremely hard to shift. It took a second on that pass for me to go from 1st to 2nd.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
dysan- you actually liked the detroit locker? i heard those suck on the street constantly locking and unlocking and clunking.
but yea i'm leaning towards the true track guys i'm just hoping its strong enough to last enough to make spending the money worth it...

yea there welded up good dysan

hey guys looking around on american muscle and seen the auburn pro diffs and the ford racing torsen looks nice... which is better for the track? are they better then a true track?

I run the MT ET Radial Pro 275's on my car and my 60' depends on the boost I run. at 9-10psi of boost this weekend I was 1.44-1.43 60's...at 14-15psi I'm in the 1.37-1.39 range.

Now my car is heavy and so is the driver :thud: and couple that with 3.73 gears...If I did some more suspension work with adjustable shocks, limiting the front end travel a bit and drop my 4.10's back in I'm sure I could drop the 60' some more but I don't want to spin the engine above 6700-6800 just for longevity reasons. I will end up having put close to 300 runs at the track this year and I'm really curious to see how things look this winter when my engine builder pulls a few main caps and inspects things.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
your car a 5 speed?

if anybody has a truetrac or knows somebody let me know.. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well past that...It originally was but I have since put a 4R70W trans in it. I thought I had mentioned that in my first post...

you did, OP seems to have a reading comprehension issue.

most of the posters in the thread have them :beerchug2:

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
Why get a tru trak overthe spool. wont the spool take more of a beating but read the only downside of it on the street is turning but internet isnt always right lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TT is much more street friendly and for less than an all out race car is a very proven choice.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
your car a 5 speed?

Truetrac here...

05 gt, 5spd manual, 3500 lbs, 302rwhp, M/T ET street bias ply, 6.5k launch, 1.61 60'

It's a little noisy coasting to a stop from 20mph, otherwise no issues

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back