Torque Converter Question

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
After installing my Edelbrock S/C, I took it to get dyno'd and my numbers were 396 rwhp and 395 rwtq (uncorrected I believe). He said my TCI 3000 stall speed convertor was slipping during the pull which made my numbers lower than expected. Where the converter slipped, you could see on the dyno graph that it dropped a bit. When it dipped the fuel pump also started running low on fuel so he suggested to go with a BAP. He said with the amount of low end torque, the converter and my 4.10's is not the best combination for a daily driver. This combo worked really well without the S/C. I am thinking about putting my factory converter back in or maybe buying an PTC converter with maybe less stall speed, maybe 200 rpm above stock. Does anyone know what the stock converter stalls at? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Lon86

forum member
Reaction score
Well let me be the first to give you some advice based on my personal experience. I had to get all the clutches and bands replaced in mine because I completely destroyed all the material. It just didn't lock up at all on the dyno. And that was when I was running my non-intercooled whipple setup. So I had it sent to this guy who does custom converters for Lightnings and whatnot. Had triple kevlar discs installed along with a low-stall speed and picked up a ton of torque. The stall speed is now at 2400rpm. Anything above that with 4.10's and street tires will give you zero traction from a stop. And don't even bother putting the factory one back in. The stock stall is around 1600 IIRC. Just spend the dough and get a ptc or fuddle converter. If I could do it again that's what I would do. You'll just wind up spending more money with parts and labor if you don't.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Take your TCI and stock converters and throw them into the street....then run over them with a truck. Buy yourself a Precision Industries triple disc converter with 2800-3200 stall speed. Leave the 4.10's in the car.

You'll thank me later. :evil:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Take your TCI and stock converters and throw them into the street....then run over them with a truck. Buy yourself a Precision Industries triple disc converter with 2800-3200 stall speed. Leave the 4.10's in the car.

This would be my advice also.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
One thing that needs to be said.... NEVER lock a converter up on the dyno..... Bad idea! Running any type of supercharger you are creating more torque.. therefore a 3500 stall behind a blower car is gonna feel like a 4000 and possibly more.... The PTC's are good, but if you thrash on the car hard and have plans for more power, take SD's advice.. even though we have not found the limit of our converters but have them in cars making 600 rwhp

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Subsribing as well; with my new setup/numbers I could not get a good number at the track and the consensus was my stock TC was holding me back.

Chris-based on my setup-see in sig-can you do anything for me or is a PI triple disc what I need?

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score

I'll thank you now, thanks lol. Where is the best vendor to buy a PI converter?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At what power level does one need the triple disc vice the single disc?

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
i do not think the 2 diffrent disks one play to much into HP, i think the triple disk is more accurate to transfer power from the engine to the wheel. with a single disk theres more "slop" in it.

i could be wrong but i think its along these lines.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
i do not think the 2 diffrent disks one play to much into HP, i think the triple disk is more accurate to transfer power from the engine to the wheel. with a single disk theres more "slop" in it.

i could be wrong but i think its along these lines.

Single, dual, and multi-disc has everything to do with hp.....

The more horsepower, the more clutches it needs to lock a converter up and hold it with no slipping...

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Single, dual, and multi-disc has everything to do with hp.....

The more horsepower, the more clutches it needs to lock a converter up and hold it with no slipping...

thanks, like i said wasnt sure it if was all HP. just guessed :)

Back